Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 06-24-2019, 03:13 PM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
But that is nothing Avid can control nor should they be responsible for... even MS stops support on their old OS’s. I would say that is something the end user should be considering when purchasing a new puter.
Well you might have missed my point, specifically about self builds with off the shelf hardware available today, where you can run an os, even unsupported like XP, perpetually along with said outdated software. You can even resurrect Windows 3.11, 95, 2000, etc... again with off the shelf hardware available today (obviously it isn't gonna run great if you can't source drivers) if you like that sort of self torture! Its all good. Point is, where there is a will there is a way I have been using PT since 2006, and I have never needed Avid support. So it won't hurt me much if I need to freeze my system. I could run the same software and OS even in an unsupported state most likely for 10 to 15 years, all while upgrading hardware.

Here is a link which corresponds to my point. If you wanted to use Windows 95, with Office 95 in perpetuate on modern hardware, you can do so in the PC world. Not making any negative comparisons to other OSs btw, just backing up my assertion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-AfnudOET4

All of this in plain english: Avid is not offering a good value proposition for 200.00 per year for so so few updates for someone with a decent amount of PC skills.

Last edited by gnjlee; 06-24-2019 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjlee View Post
Well you might have missed my point, specifically about self builds with off the shelf hardware available today, where you can run an os, even unsupported like XP, perpetually along with said outdated software. You can even resurrect Windows 3.11, 95, 2000, etc... again with off the shelf hardware available today (obviously it isn't gonna run great if you can't source drivers) if you like that sort of self torture! Its all good. Point is, where there is a will there is a way
And how is this any responsibility of Avid?
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 06-24-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Based on the price change that will take place on July 1, unfortunately, there will be no upgrade reinstatement plan available anymore.
The only options to get to the latest version of Pro Tools, if you have an expired annual update and support plan, are to purchase either an annual or monthly subscription."
Wow. Looks like Avid are not content with a shot in the foot but prefer a shot in each!

Talk about "How to alienate one's loyal customers in two easy steps..."

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 06-24-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
It was moved like any other thread started in the wrong place, I don’t see any specific PT related chat going on here..... so it was moved to the lic thread because we are talking about licensing. What is the problem for you?
‘Last post’, ‘replies’ and ‘views’ columns are blank for the moved posts and they are thus dropping down page 2. Anybody visiting DUC and looking to see what the current hot topics are would be unlikely to notice the level of user engagement and disappointment related to this topic and I don’t know if this is normal for a moved post.

Edit: possibly related but still having problems posting (appear to be logged out and have to log in again whenever saving a comment, as happened some months back).
Old 06-24-2019, 04:25 PM

Not sure what your point is as this thread is sitting at the top of the Licensing thread as it is a hot topic. All categories of threads have hot topic threads sitting sitting at the top. If it were left where it was then the argument would be made by a user that didn’t know the lic issues due to them not being in the licensing threads but stuck in software ver thread. All community sites do this.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty27 View Post
‘Last post’, ‘replies’ and ‘views’ columns are blank for the moved posts and they are thus dropping down page 2. Anybody visiting DUC and looking to see what the current hot topics are would be unlikely to notice the level of user engagement and disappointment related to this topic and I don’t know if this is normal for a moved post.

Edit: possibly related but still having problems posting (appear to be logged out and have to log in again whenever saving a comment, as happened some months back).
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 06-24-2019, 05:14 PM

...and I thought we weren't getting much for 99/year
Old 06-24-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiz View Post
The only change i see in the near future, is the hordes of PT users who will change DAW. In that manner, yes Avid managed to change the game.
See what i have done here?

Cheers!
I'm thinking this is going to be my move. I'll apply the $99 I save by not renewing to the S1 crossgrade offer and never look back.

No i/o limits, no heavy handed marketing. Upgrade when you see fit instead of being threatened with price increases if you don't do it now.

I never thought I'd leave Pro Tools but I think it's time to move on...
16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Patriot - Spark 256GB SSD System Drive
Patriot - Ignite 480GB SSD Work Drive
Hisense 43" 4K Display
Presonus Quantum
OS - Windows 10 Pro

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, Just pee on it and walk away.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiz View Post
The solution is to make the product great again.
[...]
They had many chances to get out of dept, they didn't listen to their customers but they preferred another way, a stupid one IMO. Hope they are ready to accept the repercussions of their actions and that is....getting deeper in dept.
I agree.

It's strange. I included a link to Avid investor relations and referred to page 29 of the 2018 annual report.

That part of my message disappeared. Very strange. So just to make sure, I take screenshots of this submission.

Again, I agree and the consequences are as you say, it seems that it had already happened, hence the need for the price increases.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Not sure what your point is as this thread is sitting at the top of the Licensing thread as it is a hot topic. All categories of threads have hot topic threads sitting sitting at the top. If it were left where it was then the argument would be made by a user that didn’t know the lic issues due to them not being in the licensing threads but stuck in software ver thread. All community sites do this.....

Thanks Rob - I now see that it is displayed normally in the licensing thread. I was looking at it in the ‘Pro Tools 2019’ forum which is evidently where it was moved FROM as opposed to moved TO. It appears that a ‘mirror’ remains in the original location but without these stats, so it moves down the ranking (unlike the licensing forum where it is correctly at the top). My concern was that the issue was not appearing as a ‘hot topic’ (in Pro Tools 2019) and could potentially mislead visitors.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:52 PM

Have we had a definitive word from Avid on reinstatements? Last I saw their customer response people were saying it’s still being evaluated and there’s only a week to go.

For all the bitterness and anger here, this feels like the most scandalous issue to me - not even telling people what that plan is before we can make a decision, or even whether there’s even a plan at all. Avid entirely absent on this thread.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM