Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 06:47 PM

Default Re: File management - waiting for a solution within PT

I find it hard to believe that Digi would find it too difficult to implement bins properly, but then I always found it difficult to program Big Track to negotiate it's way around a living room, so what do I know?

If the user could create and name any number of bins, surely it wouldn't be impossible to drag and drop files into those bins and have PT automatically keep any derivative regions of said files within those bins.

An option to have "Tracks" and / or "Play Lists follow Bins" would be really useful so that any new recordings went straight to the correct bin.

Bins should be exportable / importable (and of course you should be able to import files directly into a bin - that way, someone else could be preparing files on another computer and placing like files in different folders, then you could import the new "bullet by's" from the "bullet-by's" folder into one bin and the new "body falls" from the "body falls" folder into another bin if that's how you prefer to work).

It also should be possible to view the entire region list as a flat list (as it is now) or just view individual bins (plus I'd find options to "hide" & "show only" unused regions pretty useful, as hiding "auto-created" hides a lot of regions that are in use and that I'd like to be able to see, but viewing "auto-created" displays a ton of micro regions I'm never going to need - consolidating every used region isn't really very practical).

I do find it odd that (to my knowledge) this issue has never been officially acknowledged by Digi as being either a problem or being in development (I seem to remember a couple of years ago one of the administrators showing a vague interest in it though).

As we all know Digi is hard at work on the Vista version of PT, and presumably there will eventually be a Leopard version unless Digi are going to try to get every one to run Windows on their Mac as a two fingered salute to Apple for teaming up with Apogee.

They have also made several posts recently, that among other things hinted at the fact that they are finding the antiquated code that PT is based on rather tiresome - reading between the lines (i.e. wild speculation on my part) implies a re-write from the ground up.

Either way a major new release is scheduled to appear by the end of the summer, so hopefully some of these features were already in the pipeline.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:40 PM

CYeah, Nuendo 4 is reported to have a tremendous Media Pool device. So much so that a friend told me he put off buying Soundminer after he previewed it.
Washington, DC 20036
Old 06-25-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Just a side note:

We do not only need simple folders. This will not make PT much better in terms of file management.

frank.
With all due respect Frank, I think just the simple addition of folders would add tremendously to the value of PT and would be an important first step. Plus its likely pretty easy to implement from a programmers point of view.

If I could just have a folder to seperate sound fx from the rest of the crap in the regions bin, that alone would be a huge time saver... Ok, so maybe each region would be placed into the root folder as I cut up an effect, but at least I could go into the sound fx folders I have created to quickly find the full length file of the sound I need.

I disagree... HUGE advance to just simply get the ability to put region list sounds in folders.

AND SO EASY TO PROGRAM!!! MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

http://www.ericmilano.com
Read carefully. I wrote "We do not ONLY need simple folders."
Quite a difference to "We do not need folders".

I do not need folders that contain 10 car-bys plus 2000 regions that PT put in there while I was editing. That wouldn´t be a lot better than what we have now.

Frank.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:02 AM

Quote:
I do not need folders that contain 10 car-bys plus 2000 regions that PT put in there while I was editing. That wouldn´t be a lot better than what we have now.

Yeah maybe, but if hiding "auto-created" or the proposed "unused - except whole files" didn't do it for you, each bin could contain a virtual trim bin that contained only the auto-created bits by implementation of a view "auto-created only" option.

Or are you saying you'd rather have derivatives only visible in the flat list (a virtual cutting room floor, but without the dust or the intense feeling of panic )?