Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2004, 06:49 AM

Default audio units support, core audio support

I'm sure I posted a related question but for some reason it hasn't shown up on the DUC (does anyone else find the digi website slow and difficult to navigate? I've got cable but it is a pain waiting for pages to load).
Will there ever be Audio Unit support in protools? I really think there should be. Anyone agree?
Also how about core audio support for Audacity and/or Sound Studio?
Does core audio support Reason 2.5 but not 2.0? Seems to be that way.

1.25ghz iMac
1g ram
PT 6.4
OSX Panther
Mbox
Old 05-31-2004, 09:21 AM

Default Re: audio units support, core audio support

Quote:
Will there ever be Audio Unit support in protools?
No. Do a search, this topic has come up many times before.

Quote:
Also how about core audio support for Audacity and/or Sound Studio?
Does core audio support Reason 2.5 but not 2.0? Seems to be that way.
Again, a search will serve you well. You are right about Reason, as far as the other 2 apps, they should work if you add them to the supported CoreAudio application list.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Will there ever be Audio Unit support in protools? I really think there should be. Anyone agree?
Nope. I don't see why Digi would want to do that. If you want AU, you get Logic. There's plenty of good plugins to choose from in RTAS format. I have Logic and while I think the plugs are good, I never caught myself thinking "wow, if only we could use this compressor in ProTools...."

Old 05-31-2004, 10:41 AM

Yeah - I wish I could use the BF stuff in Logic.
Old 05-31-2004, 05:53 PM

I've done a search a few times and have found no matches or none relevant to my specific question. If Digidesign have addressed this issue specifically somewhere I would be interested in the official policy.

I don't see why Digidesign would not be eager to support Audio Units if they have any allegiance to the Mac user community.

I've tried logic and it is probably just me but I do not find it logical at all. I like protools a lot but would like to see it a little less closed and inflexible. Those of us who can't afford to buy the big expensive plug-ins could potentially benefit from the many free (or cheap) plug-ins being developed for audio units.

I have tried adding Sound Studio and Audacity to the Digidesign core audio support list but they both crash when launched. So obviously there is something wrong. They are not listed as supported programs on the relevant page on this site. Is that something Digidesign needs to address or is it up to the developers of Sound Studio and Audacity.