Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-08-2021, 02:51 PM

Default Re: HD | Native card not recognized by Catalina?

Hi, Darryl:

Sorry about that; I did do the things you mentioned regarding kextstat, and it returned nothing at all. And the HDN card is now sitting on a shelf in a storage cabinet I have, so it's out of the equation.

For the record, it's a ULN-2 3d, running with MIOConsole public beta 10-138; MHLink driver 2.1.00; and the unit itself is v.6.0.118 (is that the firmware version? I don't know but it's completely up to date).

I'm running OS 10.15.7 on a 2015 27" iMac17,1, quad-core i5, with 32GB RAM.

Now, here's what Jon at Metric Halo told me:

"Check the I/O menu in MIOConsole3d and try lowering the number of I/O channels to just above the maximum that you’ll need (16, for example), and see if this helps.

Another option is that you could try connecting the unit with USB instead of MHLink, and choose the ULN-2 as the playback engine."

Fortunately, the upgrade I had done to the ULN-2 included a USB-C to USB-3.0 A cable, which was long enough to reach from the unit to the computer. (When I bought the ULN-2 in 2011, it was FireWire.)

The result: Switching from MHLink to USB seemed to do the trick. I was able to drag an mp3 into a new project (Phil Collins, Against All Odds, if that matters ) and it played back fine. Then I added a stereo audio track and played my Roland Juno-DS along with the mp3 and that recorded fine as well.

So, it looks like I’m in business.

I’ll have to mess around with the number of inputs in PT, though the kind of stuff I’ve mainly done is one stereo or instrument track at a time. I haven’t used multiple mics for some years now because I haven’t had a need for it.

Regarding the MHLink, well, I don’t know what to do about that. I’m very seriously considering trading my 2015 iMac into OWC for a 2013+ Mac Pro, which has two Ethernet ports. Maybe connecting MHLink directly to the computer rather than through my Cisco switch will make a difference? It’s not all that big a deal, since I don’t see myself adding a whole rack of MH stuff, much as I’d like to…
Finale 26.3.1