Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 02-23-2015, 10:59 AM

Default Re: PT12 / Dolby Atmos

OK, edit: Apple are no longer a pro audio equipment manufacturer.

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 02-23-2015, 11:13 AM

Hello. Well again, the laptop and ashtray are still very capable machines for pro audio use. I say the bigger point is that it doesn't even matter how capable those products are. Apple as a company no longer gives a hoot about professional uses, and hasn't for a while.

I could see a future where Apple would just sell the OS but no longer sell any computers at all, or at least nothing beyond the Mackbook Air laptop consumer line. People could install the OS on any computer they would so choose.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:59 PM

As soon as Apple lose hardware control they'll face all the same issues as Windows. OS-X is no more reliable or secure - it's the hardware control that makes the difference. Hence their decision to further limit the hardware choices, and prevent user modifications.

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 02-23-2015, 02:05 PM

The Apple / Avid relationship went downhill as soon as Avid supported Windows. Dolby's relationship with Avid seems to be hitting the rocks, probably due to Avid supporting other immersive sound systems. Dolby has also embarked on attempting to claw back money from the short form / low budget sector, where there simply isn't the demand or budget. Very short sighted in my opinion. As soon as money or competitive edge becomes an issue, large companies tend to end up hurting the people they should be nurturing.

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 02-23-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dB.co.uk View Post
As soon as Apple lose hardware control they'll face all the same issues as Windows. OS-X is no more reliable or secure - it's the hardware control that makes the difference. Hence their decision to further limit the hardware choices, and prevent user modifications.
Hello. My point is that Apple could care less about all that. It doesn't affect their iPhone sales or iPad sales or iTunes sales or in the future the car sales, etc.

If they no longer sell computers or just sell laptops like the Macbook Air, they couldn't give a rat's behind if professional users have reliability issues. Their consumer base will be happy and that's who they cater to. If some professional is having issues installing Mac OS on a non Mac computer, they wouldn't care at all.

The people buying their laptops wouldn't care about it, Apple wouldn't care about it. Audio, video and graphics professionals and their worries and concerns are not part of Apple's business. Right now they still make and sell one or two machines for professionals and one or two software programs for professionals. But if they dropped them all tomorrow their bottom line would not be affected in the least. They wouldn't even notice.

I suggest all professionals in the fields of audio, video and graphics better start learning to buy, configure, build and maintain off the shelf Windows machines that you can install the Mac OS on, because I definitely see a not too distant future where Apple will no longer make or sell computers appropriate for professional work.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
It's the same chicken and egg as UA or SourceElements. With the rise of competing immersive systems it's Dolby that need to pull their fingers out. Their plugins have always been buggy and generally crap, even on Macs.
Agreed
EFI flashed 580 GPU
3 card PCI-e expansion chassis.
Avid Artist Control
Apollo 8 Quad, Satellite Quad, Octo Card
Cranesong Avocet Monitor System.
WireWorld ProAudio Cables
Old 02-23-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Look at what's happened with the Slate Raven. He's resolutely Mac, and in reaction a far better value Windows equivalent has been developed over here in Europe, where developers don't have their heads so firmly up Apple's derrière... Apple is no longer a professional equipment manufacturer.
Unfortunately that just isn't the case here in the states, nor is it in LA especially. People don't want to work on PC here.
They don't care what is better. They hate the OS.

LA drives the market, there is no question about that. Dolby is here in LA and LA is MAC.

Slate is MAC for now. Slate is a small company also. It is also LA based, and to get something off the ground, cater to the market you are in.
MAC seems to be an easier platform to get going. Less variables in hardware.

I'm sure Slate is going to go PC as well, their plugins are, but I know for FACT Steven isn't releasing what isn't working.

Maybe it is different in the UK, but here it is MAC or a hackintosh.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
Avid Artist Control
Old 02-23-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Oh, and Media Meter causing latency on any path it was on...
that's why I always mult'ed the 2 track. didn't need to listen through it. just viewing the numbers.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
Avid Artist Control
Old 02-23-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
The Apple / Avid relationship went downhill as soon as Avid supported Windows. Dolby's relationship with Avid seems to be hitting the rocks, probably due to Avid supporting other immersive sound systems. Dolby has also embarked on attempting to claw back money from the short form / low budget sector, where there simply isn't the demand or budget. Very short sighted in my opinion. As soon as money or competitive edge becomes an issue, large companies tend to end up hurting the people they should be nurturing.
Sounds like the same exact argument as the users here have against AVID.

Now that MS is going to an OS subscription plan (which is going to kill them), it just opens the door for Apple even more.

Pro Tools use to be free with the purchase of hardware. Apple has known for a long long time, that hackintoishs have been out there. They aren't worried about it.
They will keep a Pro line going and continue to offer their OS for free.

Apple's value gained 100 billion this month.

Based on your own statement, you should really be looking at AVID now. AVID is doing far worse than MS, Apple, or Dolby.

MehAVID
EFI flashed 580 GPU
Avid Artist Control
Old 03-01-2015, 10:25 AM

8db.co.UK wrote:

“I bet the real reason behind Dolby's grumpiness is that PT supports other immersive systems. One thing I've noticed, those Californian tech companies don't seem to like level playing fields...”

And

“The Apple / Avid relationship went downhill as soon as Avid supported Windows. Dolby's relationship with Avid seems to be hitting the rocks, probably due to Avid supporting other immersive sound systems. Dolby has also embarked on attempting to claw back money from the short form / low budget sector, where there simply isn't the demand or budget. Very shortsighted in my opinion. As soon as money or competitive edge becomes an issue, large companies tend to end up hurting the people they should be nurturing.”
===================================
Let me address the your quotes above:

PT does not support other “Immersive Systems”.
I have an “Auro -3D” system that is the 3rd one in the world,
and the very first “Immersive” system in Hollywood.

Avid does not “support” either system. Both Auro and Atmos systems using Pro Tools are workaround’s for the limitations of Pro Tools.
Pro Tools does not support “Z (Height) Panning” or more than 8 busses.
Auro’s implementation using plug ins to work around the limitations
are excellent! I do however look forward to the day when Avid does begin to support “Z” panning and more than 8 busses in Pro Tools.
This will be a great improvement for BOTH Auro and Dolby!

What you should remember is that there are many ex Avid employees now working in San Francisco for Dolby. If there was any advantage it would be for Dolby, but that doesn’t appear to be the case.

I have talked to and discussed the need for implementation of “Z” panning and more than 8 busses with Avid a few years ago and it
Wasn’t high on their “to do” lists. Now that many more “Dubbing Stage's” now have Auro and Atmos installed MAYBE this will be enough to get Avid moving on this subject that is very dear to me.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.