Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 06-10-2013, 08:27 AM

Default Re: Plans for VST Adapter Support in Pro Tools 11

If Avid allowed a wrapper, then there would be less incentive for AAX development. I suspect this is their reason. If a wrapper can be done and it works, then Avid should allow it. My 2 cents.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remute View Post
Having already had a wrapper for a number of years now, I don't recall the forum being clogged with threads criticizing Avid for the wrapper's instability or issues arising from using it.

Anyone with a problem quite rightly went to FXpansion's forum. End of.

The utterly spurious strawman argument that this decision has been made to protect "the authenticity of the AAX experience" would be laughable if it didn't mean that if users upgrade they'll lose access to a whole raft of unique synths and FX unless they shell out yet more money for VEPro.

The whole statement reeks of doublespeak and, in effect, says nothing beyond "we don't want to do this because we don't want to."

With the Fxpansion wrapper available did anyone out there feel their RTAS "experience" was "inauthentic"?
To be fair, some plugins would not work wrapped and fxpansion offered 0 support or updates for the wrapper in the last 5 years or more. Some plugs would also crash your session and plugin settings would sometimes be a pain when trying to back up for system restores and such.

Again, the "experience" as you call it will be the new engine that allow dual buffers to operate independently on plugins. This will reduce the need to jump buffers and kill most tracking w plugins latency. I can't be the only one that sees this as huge.

If its a serious issue and don't want to spring for vep, reaper is dirt cheap as is bidule.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Old 06-10-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
To be fair, some plugins would not work wrapped and fxpansion offered 0 support or updates for the wrapper in the last 5 years or more. Some plugs would also crash your session and plugin settings would sometimes be a pain when trying to back up for system restores and such.

Again, the "experience" as you call it will be the new engine that allow dual buffers to operate independently on plugins. This will reduce the need to jump buffers and kill most tracking w plugins latency. I can't be the only one that sees this as huge.

If its a serious issue and don't want to spring for vep, reaper is dirt cheap as is bidule.
Yes, the Fxpansion wrapper was buggy and *their* forum was testimony to that, which was the original point I was replying to.

Those of us who put up with it for the last 5 years were dearly hoping Avid would come through and enable a company like Sugar Bytes to support it properly.

The "authenticity of their AAX experience" is not my words, it's a direct quote from the statement.

The well-known workarounds make a mockery of the official statement, but they're a pain to use in comparison to a seamless wrapper made by an "invaluable" AAX developer able to work closely with Avid.

Anyhow, I've banged this drum enough and have a demo of Cubase 7 to play with.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
If Avid allowed a wrapper, then there would be less incentive for AAX development. I suspect this is their reason. If a wrapper can be done and it works, then Avid should allow it. My 2 cents.
True!

Although a wrapper might be bad for business at first sight and short term,
long term it might be beneficial.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:34 AM

Given what Ed posted, everyone here should realize that even though a wrapper was declined, devs have permission to offer AAX plugins that host VST plugins. Sugar Bytes or whoever can introduce an AAX plugin called VSTi loader and as long as it meets requirements, It would be allowed. Nomad Factory already has Magma out and it can host VST effects, but not instruments.

Buttdialed by me & Tapatalk

Hackintosh - Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH, Intel Core i7-3770K, 32GB 1600Mhz DDR3, 2x SATA 6Gb/s 240GB SSD, 3x SATA 6Gb/s 1TB HDD, 1x Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, Sierra 10.12.6.

Pro Tools HD 2018.12, Focusrite Red 8Pre, Mbox 3 (Mac)
Pro Tools 11.3.2, Mbox2 (Win 7)

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 06-10-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Given what Ed posted, everyone here should realize that even though a wrapper was declined, devs have permission to offer AAX plugins that host VST plugins. Sugar Bytes or whoever can introduce an AAX plugin called VSTi loader and as long as it meets requirements, It would be allowed. Nomad Factory already has Magma out and it can host VST effects, but not instruments.

Thanks for the clarification Jimmy

That's better than nothing at all and if Devs knows this I bet it won't take someone like SB too long to come up with a "vst loader"

Fingers X:d

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 06-10-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
"SB" is Steinberg...
SB is Sugar Bytes.

Hackintosh - Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH, Intel Core i7-3770K, 32GB 1600Mhz DDR3, 2x SATA 6Gb/s 240GB SSD, 3x SATA 6Gb/s 1TB HDD, 1x Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, Sierra 10.12.6.

Pro Tools HD 2018.12, Focusrite Red 8Pre, Mbox 3 (Mac)
Pro Tools 11.3.2, Mbox2 (Win 7)

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 06-10-2013, 06:19 PM

Where does this put VE Pro 5? That's a vst adapter of sorts (i know it's a host but still...)

QAPLA!
Old 06-10-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
SB is Sugar Bytes.

Thanks for the correction, Jimmy...I deleted my post...

I've been spending quite a bit of time on the Cubase board where "SB" is Steinberg...hence my misunderstanding...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 06-10-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Where does this put VE Pro 5? That's a vst adapter of sorts (i know it's a host but still...)
Should work fine. It is a host, not a "wrapper"

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10