Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2013, 10:22 PM

Default Can anyone here recommend another daw?

Ive been using pro tools for a long time but I've just had it with all this nonsense! What daw would be a smoother transition from protools?
Old 04-16-2013, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Can anyone here recommend another daw?

Try Logic, Reaper, Ableton Live, Reason, or Fruity Loops. Also Sonar or Cubase. Or Garageband.

Good luck!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:08 PM

Thank you!
I should have been more clear!
I'm on mac and looking for a serious contender thats 64 bit for VI's and mixing!
I also need the one with the smoothest learning curve coming from protools.
I tried GarageBand but just couldn't get into it. I imagine Logic would be similar to GarageBand but I haven't tried it.
Your thoughts and recommendations are much appreciated!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:44 PM

I've always felt Studio One looked interesting. If you have a Mac Logics a no brainer.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-17-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avidfan View Post
Ive been using pro tools for a long time but I've just had it with all this nonsense! What daw would be a smoother transition from protools?
What Nonsense are you referring to exactly?
State your problems first... before asking for advice...

There is no perfect DAW... they all have their strengths and weaknesses... Furthermore, there is no such thing as a "smooth transition".
Changing the tools of creation is often a distraction.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:32 AM

It all depends on what you want to use another DAW for. We used to use PT and Soundscape, but I now do all my music audio editing in Reaper, as it is just so easy to use and I don't think I could live without that squeeze and stretch tool to match up phrases. If I were to get heavily into A for V and do ADR and VO work, Nuendo has all kinds of tools, such as on-line links to other studios via broadband and many ADR automation tools that makes it an almost no-brainer! The working surface is not as tidy as PT however, but that is a question of taste. Add Melodyne to either of those and you have something very special!

But I must say, I do find this whole launch of PT11 to be a total dog's breakfast. Nothing is clear. I was hoping for simplicity and compatibility with other platforms and plug-ins and more realistic pricing. You have to realise that a full-blown HD rig still costs about $15k to $20k and that has to be compared with a Mac and a UA Apollo 16 (or indeed any of these new hybrid boxes, many of which are really cheap) which you can load with any software DAW.

Avid and its whole attitude by management puzzles me. I have never known a company get so much so wrong and for so long. The engineers gave management the best audio and video products and so it should surprise nobody that they became market leader in both fields. Instead of having a clear strategy for growth and profit, they opened 42 prestige offices around the World and wasted money on platoons of MBAs and an overweening corporate structure and compounded that with a mad-cap acquisitions spree at silly prices.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
Avid and its whole attitude by management puzzles me. I have never known a company get so much so wrong and for so long. The engineers gave management the best audio and video products and so it should surprise nobody that they became market leader in both fields. Instead of having a clear strategy for growth and profit, they opened 42 prestige offices around the World and wasted money on platoons of MBAs and an overweening corporate structure and compounded that with a mad-cap acquisitions spree at silly prices.
Avid acts like a hardware company selling into enterprise/business yet I can't help thinking that the future for audio (i.e. their Pro Tools products), especially now e.g. with Thunderbolt, will not require expensive proprietary hardware. This is clearly a legacy of the days when computers were not sufficiently powerful or designed to handle the tasks which were offloaded to external DSP.

If this threshold has not been reached already, for audio at least, the writing is on the wall and Avid needs to find a way to transition into a becoming software company whilst carrying across a passionate user base and possibly adjusting to changing revenue streams ... although for video (ultimately much higher bandwidth), a 'hardware company' for the pros will probably remain relevant for a while yet.

I'm participating over on the PT11/CPTK thread - competitor DAW manufacturers must be rubbing their hands right now + planning crossgrade marketing/strategies as we speak. And if Apple have a new Mac Pro hidden in the wings, possibly planning to co-launch with 'Logic X' (which they will have had plenty of time to work on against lots of noise from the Pro Tools community since PT10), possibly radically changing workflows, etc. (like they did with FCPX) to harness modern computing power, ... ??!!

If you're thinking of switching DAW, I would at least wait for the PT11 launch (in case Avid e.g. change what's included in the base PT11 product, or continue to sell toolkits, ... or whatever) + wait for the promised/confirmed Mac Pro launch in case this also ushers in a new version of Logic.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
It all depends on what you want to use another DAW for. We used to use PT and Soundscape, but I now do all my music audio editing in Reaper, as it is just so easy to use and I don't think I could live without that squeeze and stretch tool to match up phrases. If I were to get heavily into A for V and do ADR and VO work, Nuendo has all kinds of tools, such as on-line links to other studios via broadband and many ADR automation tools that makes it an almost no-brainer! The working surface is not as tidy as PT however, but that is a question of taste. Add Melodyne to either of those and you have something very special!

But I must say, I do find this whole launch of PT11 to be a total dog's breakfast. Nothing is clear. I was hoping for simplicity and compatibility with other platforms and plug-ins and more realistic pricing. You have to realise that a full-blown HD rig still costs about $15k to $20k and that has to be compared with a Mac and a UA Apollo 16 (or indeed any of these new hybrid boxes, many of which are really cheap) which you can load with any software DAW.

I don't mind spending money on gear or tools! I own PT10+CPTK Plus UAD QUAD with almost all the plugins! As well as Slate Digital plugins, some Waves plugins and some VI's from Native instruments, Arturia and more!
I have plenty of outboard gear UA, Manley, API, DBX.
I don't need or want HDX and I don't want to use a DAW that's crippled or gets features dropped like CPTK did. I spent good money for CPTK and now It's discontinued.
I don't Intend on this thread becoming another PT11 and CPTK thread.
Just honestly asking other ProTools users for their opinions and experiences with other DAW's.
Thank you.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty27 View Post
If you're thinking of switching DAW, I would at least wait for the PT11 launch (in case Avid e.g. change what's included in the base PT11 product, or continue to sell toolkits, ... or whatever) + wait for the promised/confirmed Mac Pro launch in case this also ushers in a new version of Logic.
Yes that is my plan for now.
I would rather spend money on a new Mac Pro versus spending it on a HDX card.
I would like to start using another DAW now and slowly stop using ProTools!
Upgrading to PT11 will actually be a downgrade for me because I bought CPTK.
I am not going to pay no $1,000 bucks for features I already payed for!

My current computer is a dual Xeon with 48 gigs of ram running a 64 bit OS. I would like to take advantage of my 64 bit computer with a 64 bit DAW!
I honestly don't think ProTools 11 is worth downgrading for me just to use
64 bit!
Old 04-17-2013, 01:41 AM

Though I smell a troll, I'll bite.

On second thought, I won't. Your posts make a few things clear.

1. You don't want to actually have to learn something new.
2. You want others to perform your legwork and tell you what is easy for you to move in to.
3. Whilst I understand your frustration with the upgrade fee it doesn't excuse either of the above.

If you have taken the time to invest in what you say you have, use it. If your problem is VI's, then get something like VEPro and continue along.. there is nothing anywhere that says you need to upgrade. Do so if you a.) CAN AFFORD to and b.) CAN'T AFFORD NOT to.

If you truly NEED to upgrade your software, then go and find out what will work for you. No one here really knows. What everyone worth his/her salt here knows is that DAW's are different and each is unique in its own way. What will work for you will be best suited to the way you work. Doubtfull anyone here really knows.

That being said... go and have a look at Samplitude ProX. It's strong, feature rich and 64bit. Just not mainstream.

Edit: Re-reading this seems that I sound harsh.. not meaning to be really. I went through your same frustrations when 10 came out and I wasn't as nice as you in my venting and ranting about prices. In the end, I ponied up the cash and am very grateful that I did. It was worth the $1k I spent for the stability and usage that I got out of it. A bargain in fact in retrospect. My next bump will be $600 plus what I've just spent building a new computer to run it. Though it's a stiff bump, getting a new 'from the ground up' build that proimises to do away with DAE errors and such is worth it. Period. If I were to consider the amount of time it would take me to learn a new DAW, and learn my way around its shortcomings, the cost to upgrade is an absolute steal. Every DAW has buggars and warts. I know the ones in PT and hopefully will adapt to the new ones quickly. Peace!
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!

Last edited by danander11; 04-17-2013 at 02:08 AM.