Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2010, 06:23 PM

Default Re: HEAT (Harmonically enhanced Algorithm Technology)

Dumb question

Do you need it or would you hear a difference, even if you are using a summing amp?

Thanks
Old 08-17-2010, 07:25 PM

I'm using it on a setting of 2 (max of 5), and it's not that subtle to me.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
Better sounding is of course opinionated. I really like what HEAT does to the highs/life of the overall sound. It is kind of VERY hard to explain... The analog board I mix on at times has a 2" inch tape deck hooked up to it and the sound really reminds me of that. Phoenix I dont really like and I hate having to insert it on different tracks etc. NO OUTPUT CONTROL. Also, I can never remember which of the five editions I had inserted. etc etc.
I like(d) McDSP analog Channel better than Phoenix anyway, so perhaps I aint the right one to ask.

Would interest me though, what other folks think who owns phoenix.
At least, none of the so called tape emulators never did it for me, but HEAT is really pleasing to my ears.

HEAT basically is applied to all audio tracks (there are bypass' and PREs) on all. You have one MASTER control over HEAT. 1) Drive (Positive & Negative) value. 2) Tone - turn it CW and you will get air, CCW you get no air.

I have not read the manual, purposely to what the controls are doing. Reason is that if I do read it, my mind will be
telling me what the controls do exactly, and I prefer my ears and what they are telling me. Maybe I'm weird in that regard but thats me

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to elaborate. I personally like Phoenix (except them being separate plugins, which I can't stand). I look forward to listening more closely, it seems most agree that it is different from Phoenix.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:10 PM

I just started playing with it but, what I don't understand is, this is an individual type concept where you can saturate some tracks and do some with tube saturation settings etc right? Because when I change the drive, it changes for all tracks. Am'I missing something here?

Thanx

Marc
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Old 08-17-2010, 09:10 PM

The Heat is on.....
On the STreet...
LOL

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
I just started playing with it but, what I don't understand is, this is an individual type concept where you can saturate some tracks and do some with tube saturation settings etc right? Because when I change the drive, it changes for all tracks. Am'I missing something here?

Thanx

Marc
Can't you change track by track? Really? Something must be wrong here!

Do I need PT 8.1 to run it? Or does it work on PT 8.0.4?

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 08-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHG MUSIC View Post
Dumb question

Do you need it or would you hear a difference, even if you are using a summing amp?

Thanks

We'll be releasing a test in the coming weeks that compares files made with just that idea.... stay tuned!

[email protected]

Check out our Pro Mixing Webinars :
http://www.avid.com/US/resources/pro-mixing-webinars

Avid Pro Mixing Blog:
http://www.avidblogs.com/promixing/
Old 08-17-2010, 09:42 PM

Just asked the same question on GS and it looks like it's global. That makes no sense. Why have different settings? What works on one track won't work on everything. There has got to be a huge mistake here. Maybe Digi or rather Avid can clear this up because, this is actually kind of funny.
I had a cool setting on the vocal and said "ah, that's cool", I selected the kick and started changing the setting and it changed the sound on the vocal. I was like, what the hell, Please don't tell me that they made this a global effect"
In that case, just make it for the Master Fader. That would make more sense.
I hope someone made a boo boo or maybe, the paid version has it individually.
I really hope so, this would be a joke, a really big joke if not. Did anyone notice this or is it just me?

WOW, REALLY, no REALLY?
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Old 08-17-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis View Post
Can't you change track by track? Really? Something must be wrong here!

Do I need PT 8.1 to run it? Or does it work on PT 8.0.4?
Hi,

Its not intended as an individual plugin for each track! it is an overall mixer harmonic distortion type process. think of it as software summing bus.

yes you need 8.1

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Just asked the same question on GS and it looks like it's global. That makes no sense. Why have different settings? What works on one track won't work on everything. There has got to be a huge mistake here. Maybe Digi or rather Avid can clear this up because, this is actually kind of funny.
I had a cool setting on the vocal and said "ah, that's cool", I selected the kick and started changing the setting and it changed the sound on the vocal. I was like, what the hell, Please don't tell me that they made this a global effect"
In that case, just make it for the Master Fader. That would make more sense.
I hope someone made a boo boo or maybe, the paid version has it individually.
I really hope so, this would be a joke, a really big joke if not. Did anyone notice this or is it just me?

WOW, REALLY, no REALLY?
That mistake is made every day when someone decides to buy an analog summing box.

Kinda odd Avid would embrace the idea of avoiding analog summing when they are trying to make $5000 selling a few converters in a box.

I guess the post people won't do analog summing so this and its $500 price tag are for them.

Too bad it eats up so much screen real estate though...couldn't they split it off into a floating window?

And how about opening that API to 3rd parties? And can Heat be automated?

Also, caveat:

Quote:
Voice Requirements
When enabling HEAT, extra voices are required to make HEAT active if HEAT is set to Pre insert on a track and the first plug-in on that track is an RTAS plug-in. If there are an insufficient number of voices available, HEAT cannot be activated.