Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-24-2012, 12:58 PM

Default Can I play CDs through my HD interface straight from my computer

Can I play CDs through my HD interface straight from my computer .

Can this be done . I just want to be able to reference songs with out having to plug anything else in . How about play straight to a PT track with out any cables or what have ya that would be best. We all know studio monitors are flat or neutral sounding so I like to EQ it to be a little more HIFI just for casual listening of coarse not to mix (obviously) I just want to be clear so I don't get a 100 people telling thats not how its done. At this moment I am importing the songs but that is a pain in the AXX no pun intended
Old 03-24-2012, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Can I play CDs through my HD interface straight from my computer

I believe you need to import the desired audio track from your CD into a PT session.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:11 PM

Thats what I have been doing and its a pain I would pay money to just be able to use my HD interface like core audio or something . Sorry if thats not correct I don't know anything about core audio or how it works
Old 03-24-2012, 01:15 PM

The only real-time option involves using a physical audio connection (digital via optical, or analog).

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 03-24-2012, 01:39 PM

Can I go out real time OPTICAL to my HD that way. Does it have to a special cable or will a cheap wall mart thing do the trick
Old 03-24-2012, 01:54 PM

Yes.

I don't have any experience with shopping at Walmart, but there's no reason (theoretically) why an inexpensive cable shouldn't work.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 03-25-2012, 12:07 AM

But what happens if you insert a CD, go workspace, select a track from CD and click play like you would with any audio file? I think that should work. I'm not at the computer now. I personally have my PTHD and my laptop digitally connected to the same "volume knob" device so I could reference music as easy as possible
Old 03-31-2012, 02:04 PM

You can definitely play a CD back through PT in the workspace window. I actually do that all the time. However, for me sometimes it's a little irritating to deal with the delay between switching tracks. I've still always liked using that method to play a CD though if PTHD is open.

I think this is the kind of stuff that everyone just finds their own little unique ways of doing things though. Personally, for situations where I'd like to "reference another mix to one I'm working on" I like to keep a solid selection of tracks that I know really well saved in a folder that can easily be found in the workspace window. That way, I can flip between several tracks, or parts of tracks and it takes like 2 seconds.

You can also pull up and play anything in your iTunes folder through the workspace window in PT.