Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: M Box 2 !!!!!

Quote:
They should have at least made it Usb 2 and backwards compatible with Usb 1...well to be honest the mbox should have been firewire this time around with a built in dsp chip like the Focusrite Saffire

Agreed. The saffire is also 50 bucks cheaper.
I don't understand. I really don't.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:15 PM

So I guess we will all be able to but MBox 1`s for about 100 bucks now........

Mac Pro 2.66 Quad
Adam A7
Waves Gold, VSeries
Pultec Bundle
URS, McDSP
Old 09-02-2005, 02:34 AM

" Yea I agree the specs for the M-Box2 look very promising."

- Why exactly ? Looks like a pretty minor upgrade to me. Still USB 1, still no 96 Khz, inconvenient design - so what´s the the big idea ?
Old 09-02-2005, 02:56 AM

Would adding Word Clock really make it that much more expensive? Man, if Digi don't add it to 003 I'm gonna...I'm agonna....
Old 09-02-2005, 03:18 AM

Hey,
The only really improvements i can see is you get midi now but you can also record 4 tracks at the same time by using the two analogue and digital inputs. not great really.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:17 AM

Quote:
They should have at least made it Usb 2 and backwards compatible with Usb 1...well to be honest the mbox should have been firewire this time around with a built in dsp chip like the Focusrite Saffire
definitly agreed. if digidesign want to stay the top dogs of this industry they will have to keep up on the game a bit better than this.

i wasnt waiting for the mbox upgrade anyway. id prefer to stick with the mbox and save my pennies for the 003, which hopefully wont be as dissapointing.
1GB RAM
2 X Seagate Barracuda 80GB HDD
Novation Remote SL MIDI Controller
Old 09-02-2005, 04:37 AM

Weerwy intewesting.

Would this suite my needs more than a 002R? Possibly.

Couldn't care less about how it looks, same as anything else. Features, reliability and sound quality are all.

And price, of course.

Digidesign taking over from Focusrite on the Pres and AD/DA - revenge for the Saffire?

I think that the lack of the DSP chip is probably to keep the line between LE and HD very much in place.

No firewire is a bit annoying, but that's possibly to retain the allure of the 002.

However, it would certainly help me start up and would probably fulfill my needs as I get myself going (whereas the lack of MIDI, amongst other things kept me from the MB1). Then, if I make a bundle, I can always upgrade to the 003R for the extra I/O and features. The new plug-in bundle looks sweet too.

I've a feeling that this is the first in a run of new hardware and software soon to be released by Digidesign.

Things are getting interesting...
Old 09-02-2005, 05:37 AM

So they added a couple MIDI ports but NO 96Khz??? LAAAAAAME-O. What a useless upgrade. Next.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:09 AM

After reading all the comments - it looks like most people aren't too impressed overall with the new version. But, in all fairness, it's consistent with what the purpose of the Mbox is supposed to be - an entry-level PT system. The rationale is to give those of us in this category a little extra and useful power (adding the SpDIF source for simul recording)

If anyone is doing more than 2 mic tracks at a time, then it's probably more than 4 anyway. If anyone really has the gear to handle 96K audio, then they've moved on from MBox. So I guess what I'm saying, it's consistent for its intended audience.

And - since Avid owns it all now anyway - M-Audio offers boxes in just about any configuration you want.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:39 AM

It's consistent with Digidesign producing mediocre, overpriced interfaces for ProTools LE. I had a Digi 002 for 2 years. It was OK. The 002 Rack is acceptable from a performance standpoint, but it's way bigger than it needs to be, doesn't have inserts, has the I/O and phantom power switches on the back (awkward in a rack), could really use pads on the preamps...

I like the software, but it would be nice if they made an interface whose goal is to satisfy users' needs, and not just produce demand for the next higher model.