Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2002, 01:54 PM

Default JAM 2.6.2 DISTORTED AUDIO PLAYBACK

HI,
I USE JAM ON A G4, SYS 9.2, FOR MASTERING. I'VE TRIED AUDITIONING TRACKS THROUGH THE MAC CARD AND PRO TOOLS CARDS, BUT THE AUDIO PLAYBACK IS DISTORTED. THE CDS COME OUT FINE. IT'S JUST THE PLAYBACK PRIOR TO BURNING THE CD. ANY SUGGESTIONS.
Old 07-16-2002, 02:15 PM

Default Re: JAM 2.6.2 DISTORTED AUDIO PLAYBACK

First, don't YELL!

Second, are you able to play anything else without distortion? MP3s? CDs? Pro Tools sessions?

Third, have you posted your question on the Roxio board?

John Link
Old 07-16-2002, 07:36 PM

Hey Mike. What could be happenning is the sound control panel volume setting is just turned up too much. In Jam, you can choose to use the sound manager out or the digidesign driver which I am sure you have found. If you tell jam to use the digidesign hardware, make sure the mac sound control panel is not using the digidesign driver for sound output. Basically what is happenning is that the macs sound level setting is just turned up too high and is distorting the sound before it gets to the digidesign hardware. If I remember correctly, the mac volume slider is always controlling the levels to the digidesign hardware no matter what. I could be wrong but I think thats the case. Try turning the volume slider down a little bit and play with the driver settings in the sound control panel and you should find the right setting. Later, Dan
Old 07-18-2002, 12:42 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. I have no problems playing CDs, etc. via the Mac. I will try to lower the control panel volume. I wasn't aware that the control panel output would effect the Digi output. As I mentioned, I get the same distortion regardless of which card I play it through. I'll try your suggestions.