How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2015, 02:32 PM

Default AAE error 6 on PT 12

Hi fellas

Does anybody knows what AAE error 6 is about?I've been using PT 12 for a couple weeks and the last 2 days this message appears shuting the program down.
Someone familiar with that?
Thanx
Old 12-03-2015, 02:39 PM

Default Re: AAE error 6 onm PT 12

Ya know, I was on Yosemite for a few months and these dumb AAE errors got worse and worse. My audio was running off an internal SSD drive on a 2012 Macbook Pro and it made absolutely no sense. I eventually formatted the entire mix rig, and reinstalled Mountain Lion and every app from scratch - something I really wasn't looking forward to doing, and that eventually took me over 5 days to completely straighten out. With over 350 plugin licenses, settings and sample libraries to reinstall, it wasn't something I enjoyed...but I will say, I have not had a single AAE message since doing it. My Yosemite partition was running great otherwise, and all other apps were fine, so I suspect that Yosemite is not a great Operating System for Pro Tools. Then again, neither is El Capitan, since I first tried building up a new rig for that before discovering that many of my plugins weren't supported and don't work (Plugin Alliance, namely, which is a huge one for me).

Mountain Lion rocked, still rocks and I hope it will for some time. I'll be quite pissed once it is longer supported. I don't believe in this yearly update of a major operating system and personally, I'd rather keep older Pro Tools rigs going just to get the job done. They're stable, solid, and these days can be had for very little on the used market.

My 2 cents...
Sig
Old 12-03-2015, 03:03 PM

Oh thanx Siegfried.I forgot to mension ´that i'm on windows 7 with project mix io as interface.It's strange cause it wan't there in the first 2 weeks.Then...it happen.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:05 PM

This problem has been highlighted by a poster on Gearslutz who found that the problem was his hard drive starting to fail with increasing errors. So I would suggest backing up your files very soon.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 12-04-2015, 03:32 AM

Hey Wizzoboy,yeahhh i was thinking about that yeah.Hmmmm May be cause it start from nowhere.Thnks for the observation.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:05 PM

Well,unfortunately it was'n the case. After changing the music drive for a brand new seagate 7200 rpm with 64 mb of cache, the AAE 6 error came back.Well, it was ok in the first mix i did today,but after starting a new project it was there.Is there anybody sure about the compatibility of PT 10 and 12 in the same machine?
Old 12-18-2015, 01:33 PM

Hi All. I first got AAE 6 while still running PT 11. Details were posted on that separate thread. Read it all here

I've since updated to PT 12, added more RAM and switched to an MBOX 3, which is on the list of supported interfaces.

AAE 6 still occurs frequently during playback, when dragging a clip onto an open track in the edit window or just trying to select an audio clip on the timeline. I started using the disk cache feature and that seems to improve overall performance, although I will still get AAE 6 when opening the session and the audio is being cached to disk. I can close the session and reopen to move forward until the next error.

I did try the Acronis drive monitor someone else had recommended and that shows no signs of errors or potential issues with my 7200 rpm drive.

Uninstalling all of my Waves plug-ins seems to resolve the AAE 6 issue for me, but then I'm still faced with AAE -9173 and ProTools.exe hanging, forcing me to use Ctrl+Alt+Del and then reboot. I also have a lot of $$ invested in those plug-ins and obviously want to keep using them.

At this point I'm trying to separate Avid issues from Waves issues and hope that the announced PT 12.4 update might resolve some of these stability issues. My next step will be trying to get some help from Avid support. Hope this info helps someone else. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Pro Tools 12.3.1
MBox 3
Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
12 GB RAM
Intel i7 CPU
Western Digital 7200 RPM Drive
Old 12-27-2015, 10:11 AM

Hi All. Definitely check your 3rd party plugs. Avid and Waves support helped me resolve this one, which was a great xmas gift to say the least. Removing all Brainworx plugs from the plug-ins folder got rid of the AAE 6 error for me, and (so far) I have seen no -9173 messages and unexpected hangs/crashes, even after updating to PT 12.4 via the Avid App Mgr. Thankfully my system has been stable again for several days now. Avid is researching similar issues with Sonnox plugs too. I have an open support case now with Brainworx. Hope it helps someone.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:25 AM

Interesting. I have a ton of Brainworx plug-ins and have never seen this error.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 12-27-2015, 10:48 AM

I've used these for a while now too without any issues and definitely want to get them working again. Something went south with my setup in November though and I'm just happy to be moving forward again. If it helps, Avid tells me the AAE 6 most likely originates as an ERROR_INVALID_HANDLE Windows error. So my guess is that something (between plugs, Pro Tools, drivers and/or Windows updates) changed and is no longer playing nice with the others. Likely some strange combo of factors, as usual.