Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2016, 09:19 AM

Default Re: S3 static IP address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Hey Guys,

I am curious, why is Static IP desired over DHCP here?
Well I'm running a Ravenna (similar to Dante, also AES 67)-based audio over IP network and guess what IP range my whole network is in? That's right, 169.254.x.x, the same that the S3 came with. There is indeed a conflict, even though I'm using different NICs for the two.

To put a question to Avid: Using the Artist Mix with a fixed IP address was possible. Why would you remove that functionality, or the ability to change the pre-configured address?

For my situation I am not willing to change my entire audio network (especially after spending the last week updating it) to get the S3 to play nice with it. Is there another way to change the IP address?
Old 04-17-2017, 02:26 AM

Change dinamic IP to static IP is possible on S3.

You only need to enter the S3 through Telnet. You look for your IP address, and create a Telnet connection with the root user without password.

You will find a very simple linux, but it allows you to change the IP settings like all.

DO IT UNDER YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:31 PM
Avid

I just came across this thread and there's a lot of miss information in here so I want to clarify some facts incase others look at this for help.

The S3 doesn't have the ability to set a fixed IP address

The S3 does not have an on board DHCP Server

Having EUCON on a separate network port is more reliable especially if you are using larger sessions, have a NAS, use Apps like Skype, Netflix etc etc.

A 169.254.x.x IP address is NOT a fix IP address. It is an automatically generated address by the operating system when there is neither a fixed IP set nor a DHCP served present on the network (when the port is set to DHCP). Connecting a direct cable between the S3 and a computers network port makes both network ports self assign address in the 169.254.x.x range and hence why this enables EuControl and the S3 to see each other.

The only true reliable way to set up a S3 network is to have the Computer network port set to receive DHCP. Then if there is a DHCP Server (router) on the network both the S3 and the Computer will get the correct addresses from it, and if there isn't a DHCP Server on the network they will both get self assigned addresses. Setting a manual IP address on the Computer (even if it is in the same range as the self assigned IP address) is dangerous as there is no way to tell if the S3 or anything else on the network would use that address too, and clash.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by droman View Post
Change dinamic IP to static IP is possible on S3.

You only need to enter the S3 through Telnet. You look for your IP address, and create a Telnet connection with the root user without password.

You will find a very simple linux, but it allows you to change the IP settings like all.

DO IT UNDER YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.
Is this the only way of setting a static IP address to the S3?

Can Avid provide a new firmware which supports setting an static IP address?

We have a big network and do not want to use a DHCP server.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:15 AM
Avid

You do not need to use a DHCP server. Just connect the S3 to the Workstation directly.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:18 AM

And how can I set the IP of the S3?
Old 11-22-2017, 07:24 AM
Avid

You don't need to, it will use a link-local address (169.x.x.x)
Old 11-22-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
You don't need to, it will use a link-local address (169.x.x.x)
The windows 7 machine does not have a link local address. It has an address in range 192.168.x. How to do it?
Old 11-22-2017, 07:52 AM
Avid

That address is provided by a DHCP server (or set manually)....I thought you didn't want a DHCP server?

Connect an Ethernet cable from the S3 directly into the Workstation. Make sure the network settings on the WS Ethernet adapter are set to default (Get address from DHCP). Both the S3 and WS will now self-assign themselves a link-local IP address.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:02 PM

Eddie, if he adds a second NIC (and assigns that to DHCP) he can connect the S3 directly to that. That's how I have my PC set up.. 2 NICs.. one for network, one for EUCON.

-A