Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 11-05-2011, 08:34 AM

Default 11 Rack & Expression Pedal as Wah and Multiple EFX

Hey there,

I noticed something strange in 11Rack (maybe after installing the Expansion Pack): when I set the expression pedal to wah it is responding very slow...there is a noticable latency in the sound coming AFTER the movement. I didn't notice it before and I have recorded using the wah function...tried different cables and different volume pedals as expression - same thing. Anyone else noticed that?

Another thing: I used the multiple efx feature on a patch changing the pre-amp and master volume, treble and bass settings on a lead800 model. So far that works as intended. Now I wanted to do the same with a Plexi model - but the menu lets me only choose these parameters as targets:

volume, treble, mid, bass, speed (?), intensity (?), gate, release, and output.

This applies to ALL plexis and the jtm. There is no "high gain" and "Normal" volume like in the front panel...speed and intensity like what? tremelo?

I'm quite puzzled...anyone else noticed that?

Cheers.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:54 AM

Default Re: 11 Rack & Expression Pedal as Wah and Multiple EFX

Does it behave the same way without the connection to your computer?
Old 11-05-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOX59 View Post
Hey there,

I noticed something strange in 11Rack (maybe after installing the Expansion Pack): when I set the expression pedal to wah it is responding very slow...
Anyone else noticed that?
Not here. I've never noticed a problem using the wah. And I only started using a MIDI controller after installing the ERXP.

Quote:
Another thing: I used the multiple efx feature on a patch changing the pre-amp and master volume, treble and bass settings on a lead800 model. So far that works as intended. Now I wanted to do the same with a Plexi model - but the menu lets me only choose these parameters as targets:

volume, treble, mid, bass, speed (?), intensity (?), gate, release, and output.

This applies to ALL plexis and the jtm. There is no "high gain" and "Normal" volume like in the front panel...speed and intensity like what? tremelo?

I'm quite puzzled...anyone else noticed that?
I just checked that out using the PT editor and I've got the following controls after Selecting the amp the the Amp/FX drop down combo box:
  • Gain1
  • Gain2
  • Bass
  • Mid
  • Treble
  • Presence
  • Master
  • Speed
  • Depth
  • Gate
  • Release
  • Output
There is no volume control available selecting the Amp control as that is its own separate selection in the drop down combo box.

But I could access all the controls on the front of the '69 Plexi amp. Not all at once mind, as there are only 4 slots in MultiFX - but they are all accessible .

Gain1 controls the Hi-gain (Volume1) on the front Panel of the Plexi.
Gain2 controls the Normal (Volume2) on the front Panel of the Plexi.

Cheers,
V.

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 11-05-2011, 07:13 PM

Did you calibrate the expression pedal?
Old 11-05-2011, 09:45 PM

After installing the Expansion Pack you need to go back into User Options and set the Pedal Type to work correctly with your expression pedal.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:12 AM

hey there,

thanks for your replies and input on that subject...

Quote:
After installing the Expansion Pack you need to go back into User Options and set the Pedal Type to work correctly with your expression pedal.
Quote:
Did you calibrate the expression pedal?
yes - I did that. In fact several times and every time I tried a different pedal.

Quote:
Does it behave the same way without the connection to your computer?
Yes - same behavior no matter if connected to computer or not. The wah (or any other effect) is slightly delayed to the actual movement of the pedal.

The other issue: Tried it standalone this time and "Vol1" and "Vol2" are indeed accessible from inside the 11Racks own menu...but not from the GUI in ProTools.

But actually after a restart of Pro Tools now I have Vol1 and Vol2 showing up in the GUI menu as well - now speed and intensity are gone (on the plexiglas model).

I'm still on Protools 8.0.4 - 11R Firmware is the latest though...maybe some kind of booting or start-up order kind of thing.

Another oddity: I can't get the tremolo to work on my own presets (using the AC30 or Fender models). On the factory patches tremelo works fine though...

This is really weird...I have been using the 11Rack for quite a while now without such issues and I am no beginner to daw recording - that's why I am really really puzzled.

Cheers.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
The other issue: Tried it standalone this time and "Vol1" and "Vol2" are indeed accessible from inside the 11Racks own menu...but not from the GUI in ProTools.

But actually after a restart of Pro Tools now I have Vol1 and Vol2 showing up in the GUI menu as well - now speed and intensity are gone (on the plexiglas model).
You are getting completely different results from me with your PT GUI. Vol1/Vol2 do not show up and all in the Amp selection and am extremely surprised that they turned up in there for you . Can some other users please chip in here saying what turns up in your PT GUI when trying to set your Multi-FX?

Below is a screenshot of the PT GUI that I have on my computer setting Multi FX to work with the Vol1/Vol2 controls on the Plexi front panel - but, from what I've read you are getting different results, well, you must be if Vol1/Vol2 are turning up in the drop down combo. So I'm completely bamboolzed.
Now seeing as my GUI has different results to yours I will just re-iterate that:

Gain 1 works for "Vol1"
Gain 2 works for "Vol2"

So people aren't wondering what the frak I am talking about.

Sorry I couldn't help you with this - I really thought I could, perhaps the 11R resident expert will be able to help - Obi Wan Benoni .

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 11-06-2011, 02:15 PM

Hey Vercingetorix,

here are 2 snapshots of my GUI:

showing the incorrect (and inaccessible parameters on a plexi):

ScreenshotGUI-Plexi

showing the correct parameters labeled volume 1 and volume too (on a J45).

ScreenshotGUI-JTM

I made both screenshots from the same Protools session - that means, the correct AND the incorrect parameters show up in the same session (on different amp models though).

From the Menu on the 11Rack itself I can make every setting work - it's only the GUI that is behaving strangely.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Hey Vercingetorix,

here are 2 snapshots of my GUI:

showing the incorrect (and inaccessible parameters on a plexi):

ScreenshotGUI-Plexi

showing the correct parameters labeled volume 1 and volume too (on a J45).

ScreenshotGUI-JTM

I made both screenshots from the same Protools session - that means, the correct AND the incorrect parameters show up in the same session (on different amp models though).

From the Menu on the 11Rack itself I can make every setting work - it's only the GUI that is behaving strangely.
Sorry, I have been extremely busy with Martial Arts for over 2 weeks, I really haven't had any time to myself for guitaring - and I really should've turned up today to watch the young-uns do their grading .

But that screenshot you made with Amp controls has a number of options missing, plus an option that I don't have "intensity". The only thing I can put it down to is that there is a difference in GUI's dependant on the OS. Which I find extremely strange. With a product like this we would expect complete uniformity. And different settings showing up for the same thing - well, that's just bleeped.

I'm happy that you where able to hunt down the settings you needed through the 11R window, but, you really shouldn't have to.

Bad form Avid .

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 11-20-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
I'm still on Protools 8.0.4 - 11R Firmware is the latest though
This may be your problem.

The ERXP (a.k.a. Firmware 2.0/2.0.1) requires PT 8.0.5 and up.

Quote:
Q: Can I install the Eleven Rack Expansion Pack on earlier versions of Pro Tools?

A: As a last resort, yes, but they are not tested, qualified, supported or recommended—there are important additions to Pro Tools which are only available in the latest dot-releases and which are required by ERXP for best performance.

Pro Tools LE 8.0.5, Pro Tools HD 8.1.1 and Pro Tools 9.0.2/9.0.2 HD—all available as free updates for registered Pro Tools users— are the only fully tested and qualified systems for ERXP. Installing ERXP on earlier versions may cause mismatches between the hardware and the Guitar Window. If that occurs, the hardware display is ‘right’...but please do update to avoid this!

Fully qualified Pro Tools systems for ERXP:

Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Intel only, no PPC)
• Pro Tools LE 8.0.5

Mac OS X 10.6.6
• Pro Tools LE 8.0.5
• Pro Tools HD 8.1.1
• Pro Tools 9.0.2/9.0.2 HD.

Windows XPsp3 32-bit
• Pro Tools LE 8.0.5
• Pro Tools HD 8.1.1

Windows Vista 32-bit
• Pro Tools LE 8.0.5

Windows 7 32-bit
• Pro Tools LE 8.0.5

Windows 7 64-bit
• Pro Tools LE 8.0.5
• Pro Tools HD 8.1.1
• Pro Tools 9.0.2/9.0.2 HD

Macintosh PowerPC machines are no longer supported or qualified.

IMPORTANT: Update your Pro Tools system to 8.0.5LE, 8.1.1HD or 9.0.2 prior to running the ERXP Installer. Whichever version of Pro Tools you are running, you must run the ERXP installer LAST, after you have fully updated Pro Tools to the latest supported version.
Eleven Rack Expansion Pack (ERXP) FAQ
The above quote is a bit out of date, as PT 9.0.5 and PT10 are also qualified. but they were not released at the time this was written.

Pro Tools 8.0.5 Downloads and Details

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio