How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2008, 01:58 AM

Default Recording to two PT HD systems

Hi,

I want to record the 48 channels from Stage Rack to two ProTools recording systems (for backup). Is there some way to do this with 2 x HDx cards? Is there another way to do this?
Old 04-03-2008, 08:01 AM

Default Re: Recording to two PT HD systems

If you're thinking about drive problems, a RAID drive setup would increase data safety and cost much less than another HD system. If one drive dies the others take over... I do this in all my office servers. But the ultimate would be a mirror system. The big question even with a mirror system would be whether an error in one PT system propogates an error that takes the other one down with it.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:01 AM

Thanks TwoPort,

This is for a certain project for which I have access to two PT recording systems and I also have two HDx cards. I want to know whether there is a way to split the digital signal (first 48 inputs) into two HDx cards, each card would then feed a different PT recording system.

Another idea I had is - if I configure the Venue to a 96 ch system - then I will patch the first 48 inputs to channels 1-48 AND to 49-96. Would I then be able to record channels 49-96 (which have the same signal as ch 1-48) through the second HDx card?
Old 04-03-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Another idea I had is - if I configure the Venue to a 96 ch system - then I will patch the first 48 inputs to channels 1-48 AND to 49-96. Would I then be able to record channels 49-96 (which have the same signal as ch 1-48) through the second HDx card?
That should work. I have 96 pres and the HDx2...so unless there is some extra sync issue (which there shouldn't be since you will get sync from the Venue) it should work.

That's my theoretic two cents.
Engineer/Producer, StrobeAlific Media
St. Louis, MO
Old 04-04-2008, 01:50 AM

I just checked the HDx Option Guide. According to the "D-Show Signal Routing for HDx Recording" the pickoff point of the HDx card is before the D-Show patchbay. In that case I will not be able to split inputs 1-48 to two HDx cards.

Another possibility I am thinking of is doing a physical split inside the FOH rack. My idea is taken from the analog world, I don't know if it works digitally. Here it is - in a standard 96 ch VENUE to PT recording the first HDx card is connected to the first DSP card (with a small ribbon cable). The second HDx card is connected to the second DSP card. Maybe I could manufacture a ribbon cable that will take the digital signal from DSP1 card to both HDx cards? This is similar to the buss cables in analog consoles. Is that possible? I have manufactured such a (much larger) cable for my Crest analog console.

Sheldon / Steve ???? do you have the answer?
Old 04-04-2008, 05:22 AM

May I ask, WHY you need to do this?
Old 04-04-2008, 07:47 AM

I have a customer who wants to make a live recording using the VENUE/PT. He wants to be able to record to two PT systems simultaneously in case one of the PT systems crashes.

He will also be using the Venue for live mixing to broadcast and at the same time recording to PT for future mixing.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:02 AM

eytan,

I would tell my client to do some research for himself to see that this is unnecessary. The Venue has been in production for over 3 years now (kinda hard to believe it's been that long), with the HDx cards available for about 2 and a half. I've yet to have Pro Tools lose anything when the computer is properly set up. There are people on here such as Brad, TwoPort, dstagl, and many others who are running their PT setups every weekend (some more than once in a day depending on service schedules) and I've yet to hear any of them complain that the system is less than rock solid or that they've even lost one file. In regards to the Venue / PT setup Digi did an amazing job of keeping it all rockin'. The only time I've even read about a redundant system was during the April issue of Mix when they were discussing the Grammy telecast.

Erik
Old 04-04-2008, 08:03 AM

Just a thought-- but if they are that concerned with losing PT's-- why not rent a second Venue to feed the back up Pro Tool rig. Just split the signals with a good analog splitter or rent a rack of Aphex 1788's. Yes I know it's a lot of money but it would give the client peace of mind

Scott
Old 04-04-2008, 08:34 AM

I have done 100's of live recordings on protools, I always used a backup recording, but I never needed it.
I always had my protools rig and knew it very well, so it was a given that it would probably perform well.

If I was using an unfamiliar rig, I would have been more nervous.

Precautions to take: Remove all plugins except digirack and stereo mixer from the plugins folder on the protools machine, and use a freshly formatted drive (or drives for 48 track). Do not expect to move faders and tweak around on the recording rig, just hit record and leave it alone, especially if you're taking 48 tracks. Firewire drives are under $99 for 500 gigs, so please no song and dances about ignoring the 2 drive allocation for a safe 48 track recording. If your client wants the peace of mind, follow the compatibility docs to the letter. I have never crashed, nor do most if you follow the rules.

Now that PT 7.3 or greater has the ability to rescue files from a crashed record pass, you are probably ok.
What board is in monitor position? Any chance of tracking redundantly from that rig?

I think the concept of making ribbon cables inside a $80,000 console is the scariest thing I have ever heard someone suggest. Messing around inside the FOH rack is like taking your new BMW 750iL to "Shade-tree Cletus" for him to adjust the idle speed!!

tp