Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 09-25-2018, 12:21 PM

Default Re: PT 2018.7 on MacOS 10.14 Mojave works for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by veinticinco View Post
[...] For my case I did a fresh install, not an update
By "fresh install" do you mean starting with essentially a blank drive with no operating system or apps on it, installing a full version of the operating system, then installing Pro Tools?

I'm thinking that I may use the update to Mojave as an excuse to do some serious housekeeping. I want to just wipe the drive and start from scratch. I'm a little nervous about doing that with Pro Tools, because sometimes apps that are already installed survive an OS update, but do NOT work when installed from scratch with the new OS. If I understand correctly what you did, it sounds like I'll be safe. Can you confirm?

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2018, 04:48 PM

Got this in email today:

"Dear Soundtoys Users,

Our development team is currently looking into a few known issues with the way the graphical user interfaces of Soundtoys plug-ins are being displayed on the new macOS Mojave operating system. We advise that our users hold off on updating to Mojave until a compatibility update has been released. Please stay tuned for updates.

If you run into any issues using our plug-ins, please be sure to visit support.soundtoys.com.

We appreciate your patience while we work on this update!

Sincerely,
Team Soundtoys"
Old 09-25-2018, 04:52 PM

Also this is a good resource for what to be aware of:
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...-compatibility
Old 09-25-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V5V View Post
By "fresh install" do you mean starting with essentially a blank drive with no operating system or apps on it, installing a full version of the operating system, then installing Pro Tools?

I'm thinking that I may use the update to Mojave as an excuse to do some serious housekeeping. I want to just wipe the drive and start from scratch. I'm a little nervous about doing that with Pro Tools, because sometimes apps that are already installed survive an OS update, but do NOT work when installed from scratch with the new OS. If I understand correctly what you did, it sounds like I'll be safe. Can you confirm?

Thanks!

Yeah I formatted one partition and from the high Sierra partition ran the Mojave installer and selected the formatted drive.
As of right now I haven’t even opened the High Sierra partition again, but of course I won’t erase it just in case.
Never update your main work drive, I still remember a couple of deep regrets in a “early adopter” craze jajaja

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
Also this is a good resource for what to be aware of:
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...-compatibility

Oh yeah, dark mode on Mojave won’t apply to any windows inside PT, and I think it will be a while until all avid and the rest of plugins catch up. It’s weird-looking if everything is dark and PT is “chromed” but for me is not really a deal breaker
Old 09-26-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Hey moogboy and just out of curiosity, how is the Red 4pre working out for you? I'm about to pull the trigger on one, but a real world post-production-side-of-things opinion would be cool
The Red4Pre is the best interface I've ever used.

The only quirks were it did not come with a US AC cable (only British and European ones) and out of the box it's in a mode where it likes to send anything you plug into its inputs to the control room out, so I had to use the Focurite Control App to load the direct routing preset so the only thing going to the outputs are what's assigned in Pro Tools (so it feels more like a traditional 192 or Omni).
Old 10-03-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogboy100 View Post
The Red4Pre is the best interface I've ever used.

The only quirks were it did not come with a US AC cable (only British and European ones) and out of the box it's in a mode where it likes to send anything you plug into its inputs to the control room out, so I had to use the Focurite Control App to load the direct routing preset so the only thing going to the outputs are what's assigned in Pro Tools (so it feels more like a traditional 192 or Omni).

Awesome! I’m in
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2018, 11:57 AM

This is interesting, thanks for sharing. I just upgraded my 2009 4,1 Mac Pro to 5,1 firmware with a 6x3.46 processor so I could move beyond El Capitan. I have a blank partition and was going to try to track down 10.13.2, but maybe I will just install 10.14 on it and see how it goes. Hopefully Avid will have an officially compatible update soon-ish.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Hello Everybody

This post is just to share my positive experience with the latest update of Mojave (as of 9-13-2018) with Pro Tools 2018.7

Like many around here, after the High Sierra 10.13.4 update PT became very glitchy. 8 out of 10 sessions I would try to open, immediately crashed the "deactivating outputs" portion of the process. So EVERY SINGLE TIME I would have to create a new empty session, import the session data from the affected session and it would work. But once I closed and tried to open it back up it would crash. So rinse and repeat.
After extensive researching and reseting my IO config a million times a million ways I cracked.
Sure I could go back to Sierra, but I also need Logic Pro X and that only works on the latest and greatest.

I signed up to the Mojave beta program and set it up on a spare drive of course expecting the worst.

My setup is an iMac 21.5 Late 2013, 2.7ghz Core i5 with SSD and 16g RAM, with an MBOX Pro gen3 (I know, pretty old but works great, and Mac computers here in Colombia are incredibly expensive!)

I work on post production and music for TV, and my workflow requires Izotope RX suite and waves plugins

As of now my problems have disappeared, the sessions run very smooth, video playback is not choppy anymore, I can open and close sessions with ease, and even the brand new purchase of iZotope RX7 runs without a hitch.
Eucontrol with Pro tools control on iPad runs perfect.
I've mixed and mastered 12 mini documentaries and it's just working like it did before the 10.13.4 mess.
And any of you use soundly for sound fx cataloging it works great too.

THINGS THAT DON'T WORK:
My Oxygen 49 Keyboard controller is recognized on Logic but PT is not seeing it..
Reason 10 does not start (UPDATE 9-14: Reason 10.1.2 Works! And detects the Oxygen 49)
And that's it!

Still I have my other partition with High Sierra just in case, but if any of you have had issues like mine I HIGHLY suggest the upgrade. I'm doing real work for real clients and now I can deliver instead of cursing the heavens for a solution to MacOS High Sierra.

P.S If you're gonna try it PLEASE do it in a spare drive or partition, you never know, mine is a great experience, but the variables are infinite.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try my best to test or answer
Cheers!
Yeah. Hearing a lot of the same.. I am getting a newer controller from NI which should be fine. I had an old Ozonic, which still works on Sierra, but nothing much after that. It's also running Live 10 good as well with a friend of mine who is a PT user. G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS

Last edited by gives; 10-08-2018 at 12:33 PM. Reason: editing content
Old 11-16-2018, 01:05 PM

I suspect anyone having quote unquote "success" with Mojave and Pro Tools is using it in a way that is luckily dodging the mine field of issues.

CPU performance is the large issue and for someone who is running a light session, they may never feel the problems.

Open a session with 90 tracks, 30 VIs and a half dozen impulse reverbs then work fast, stop and start audio frequently and see if there are still no issues.

I would suspect that even after AVID releases their "certified for Mojave" version, it'll still have issues. MacOS updates that cause this many issues for Pro Tools tend to take a LONG time to iron out... like spring of 2019 would be my guess.

Best to stay on 10.13.3 until then, and don't buy a new Mac Mini until then either... which I know is EVERYONE's concern right now :)