Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2015, 07:32 AM

Default Re-calculating overviews every time a session is opened

Hello, I use Pro Tools 10.3.10 on a Mac OS X 10.7.5 install.
My issue is that every time I open a session, even if I just closed the session 5 minutes ago on the same system, Pro Tools needs to re-render all the overviews even though the WaveCache.wfm file is present in the folder (which I thought is what stores the waveforms).
This process really slows down my whole rig and ability to get straight to work.
The added annoyance is that when this happens it changes the dates of my audio files which is not good for my own bookkeeping and which also prompts my sync software to re-copy all the files to the backup harddrive.
I hope somebody knows a solution to this.
Thanks
Old 09-17-2015, 03:48 AM

Default Re: Re-calculating overviews every time a session is opened

Maybe the WaveCache is corrupt. I would : delete the WaveCache file. Open the session, let it create a new WaveCach, and see, if this works upon new openings of the session.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 09-17-2015, 08:10 AM

yes but this happens to me with every session, not just one session
Old 09-17-2015, 08:01 PM

Hi,

Are you saving the session with an incremental new name..

Best song ever 1
Best song ever 2
And so on

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:59 PM

This happens independently from session name. I've done both (incremental names and not) and sometimes it happens. Interestingly sometime it only happens to some songs but not other songs in the same project (like I'm working with a client, we track a song and it happens, then we track another song and it doesn't happen). Strange
Old 09-18-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcnyc View Post
Hello, I use Pro Tools 10.3.10 on a Mac OS X 10.7.5 install.
My issue is that every time I open a session, even if I just closed the session 5 minutes ago on the same system, Pro Tools needs to re-render all the overviews even though the WaveCache.wfm file is present in the folder (which I thought is what stores the waveforms).
This process really slows down my whole rig and ability to get straight to work.
The added annoyance is that when this happens it changes the dates of my audio files which is not good for my own bookkeeping and which also prompts my sync software to re-copy all the files to the backup harddrive.
I hope somebody knows a solution to this.
Thanks
I may have had a similar experience several years back, but on Win7. I'm not sure if it's exactly the same issue you're facing now but I had this one particular project that would be reanalyzed every time it was opened. The files were from a client who was on PT7, if I remember correctly. I contacted Support about the issue but it was never resolved. Their only idea was to save it again as a new project in PT10 and to see if the problem persisted. Well it did. They had no other suggestions as to the cause but they thought that the actual wave files themselves might be corrupt.

Basically the error wasn't a show stopper and I haven't seen the problem since. However, I'm now wondering if your affected project(s) were imported from an earlier version of Pro Tools. If so, then what happens when you try opening them on the version of Pro Tools they came from? If you have access to PT11 or PT12, does it still happen?

After thinking about it some more, I wish I had the original session files available to me because I hadn't thought to check the actual wave files in a standalone editor. I'm now wondering if they weren't 100% compliant with the file format itself or if file corruption were indeed the culprit. If the latter, and the problem occurs intermittently, then I might recommend that you scan your drive for errors ASAP.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:22 AM

Actually in my case the files were created on my system from scratch... in other words the same system that is opening these tracks is the system that created these tracks...
very weird
Old 10-14-2015, 10:20 AM

any other ideas?
Old 10-14-2015, 03:30 PM

ive experienced similar problems if i save a track while its playing...for the songs that are recorded already i would try converting the wav files into AIFF or vice versa...for the future i would maybe save the file and all of its contents in a separate folder instead of the files having to search to link up with audio files etc it will have them in the source folder..just a thought
Old 10-15-2015, 10:32 AM

I absolutely always have separate folders for separate songs. I would never let pro tools search for audio files. Not sure if I misunderstood you...