How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2023, 05:21 AM

Default Pro Tools 2022.12 Crashes when Rendering

Hi All,

I'm on a Mac Studio M1 Ultra with 128GB Ram running Monterey 12.6.3. I upgraded to 2022.12 to solves some bugs I was getting with 2022.10 which it has fixed. However now any time I am rendering together BWAVs and such it just crashes after getting around a 1/3rd through the progress bar. If I run the silicon Beta it seems to work fine however I have plugins that aren't compatible yet (Fabfilter etc) so staying in the beta isn't an option. I've tested this on multiple sessions of various sizes multiple times. I am able to render audio suite plugins etc so doesn't seem to be a writing/permissions error. Any one had similar issues/ have any troubleshooting tips? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-15-2023, 05:47 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2022.12 Crashes when Rendering

Hi, welcome to the community.

Most probably you have a badly behaving plugin installed.
Old 02-15-2023, 07:41 AM

Thanks for the reply, sadly I have bypassed all plugins and still have the same issue.
Old 02-15-2023, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesenior View Post
Hi All,

I'm on a Mac Studio M1 Ultra with 128GB Ram running Monterey 12.6.3. I upgraded to 2022.12 to solves some bugs I was getting with 2022.10 which it has fixed. However now any time I am rendering together BWAVs and such it just crashes after getting around a 1/3rd through the progress bar. If I run the silicon Beta it seems to work fine however I have plugins that aren't compatible yet (Fabfilter etc) so staying in the beta isn't an option. I've tested this on multiple sessions of various sizes multiple times. I am able to render audio suite plugins etc so doesn't seem to be a writing/permissions error. Any one had similar issues/ have any troubleshooting tips? Thanks in advance!
Hi there,
Is there an Apple crash report generated? The first few pages should indicate which component is failing. If it’s a plug-in, you will be able to see it.
Also, I am using Fabfilter plug-ins in Apple Silicon in Pro Tools, check to see if the plug-ins your using have been updated.
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 02-15-2023, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradch00 View Post
Hi there,
Is there an Apple crash report generated? The first few pages should indicate which component is failing. If it’s a plug-in, you will be able to see it.
Also, I am using Fabfilter plug-ins in Apple Silicon in Pro Tools, check to see if the plug-ins your using have been updated.
No I don't seem to have a crash report, where would that be located? Ok cheers, I'll download the latest update to Fabfilter to see if they show up in the Beta. The machine is for my facility though so I don't think running the beta could be a permanent solution for stability reasons!
Old 02-15-2023, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, sadly I have bypassed all plugins and still have the same issue.
Unfortunately, just bypassing the plugins may not resolve the plugin related issue. The offending plugin needs to be entirely removed from Pro Tools.

As suggested many times on this forum. Remove all plugs that are used in the session.
Do a bounce or render.
Add in one plugin at time and repeat until the crash happens. You will most likely find your problematic plugin.

Make sure all of your plugin are up to date for the version of OS and Pro Tools.
Old 02-15-2023, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Unfortunately, just bypassing the plugins may not resolve the plugin related issue. The offending plugin needs to be entirely removed from Pro Tools.

As suggested many times on this forum. Remove all plugs that are used in the session.
Do a bounce or render.
Add in one plugin at time and repeat until the crash happens. You will most likely find your problematic plugin.

Make sure all of your plugin are up to date for the version of OS and Pro Tools.

Ok thanks for that. I have removed a plugins and the render still freezes half way through and beachballs. It basically freezes Pro Tools but never fully crashes it out. I have left it for around 10 minutes to see if it recovers but no joy. I have reinstalled Pro Tools but that hasn't fixed it either.
Old 02-15-2023, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Ok thanks for that. I have removed a plugins and the render still freezes half way through and beachballs. It basically freezes Pro Tools but never fully crashes it out. I have left it for around 10 minutes to see if it recovers but no joy. I have reinstalled Pro Tools but that hasn't fixed it either.
Have you trashed your preferences?

Try bouncing to a different hard drive if you're not bouncing to the internal drive.
Old 02-15-2023, 09:27 AM

The only thing I can think of is quite laborious, depending on how large of a session you are working with. Exporting all your tracks, MIDI, audio etc. and import into a new session and see when it starts failing.
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 02-16-2023, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradch00 View Post
The only thing I can think of is quite laborious, depending on how large of a session you are working with. Exporting all your tracks, MIDI, audio etc. and import into a new session and see when it starts failing.
Thanks for the suggestion - the rebuilding of the session led me to believe it was a particular plugin as when bringing in that track that's when it crashed. I have however had lots of inconstancies as it seems to crash in sessions without any plugins that seemed to crash it previous. I then made a new track with what I thought was the offending plugin and it seemingly rendered fine... I'm at a bit of a loss to what seems to be causing the issue. I've trashed all prefs and reinstalled/ made sure all plugins are M1 compatible. Any ideas of other things I can try?