Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-22-2013, 10:27 PM

Default Rush

Saw it at the Arc Light in Hollywood tonight.
Absolutely stunning work.....congrats to Frank Kruse and the entire sound team!!!!!

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 09-23-2013, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Rush

Where did they mix this?
Old 09-24-2013, 12:25 AM

ARRI Berlin.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD99 View Post
Saw it at the Arc Light in Hollywood tonight.
Absolutely stunning work.....congrats to Frank Kruse and the entire sound team!!!!!
Hello Joe,

thanks for that. Glad you liked it. Ron is a huge F1 fan and a big concern was to make a film that wouldn't feel like a compromise for the hardcore F1 fans in terms of technical detail and of course sound and also be a great drama.

Due to the timeframe we had to double-stage so DX and Foley were pre-mixed at post-republic while the FX-pre and final mix were done at Arri. Both studios are in Berlin.

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 09-24-2013 at 03:03 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:56 PM

Awesome.

I am a huge Formula 1 fan and have been for decades (and am a fan of Ron Howard), cannot wait to see this in the theaters.

The 70s were such a wild and crazy era for Formula 1 - drivers who crashed could really get killed, or severely maimed (case in point: Niki Lauda, one the two characters in the movie -- massive burn wounds all over his face and body, same year or year before this race). Very different times.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:29 AM

First of all, well done great film!
Just out of interest, what level did you mix Rush at? (I hear a lot of German studios mix at Dolby 6 and put it up to 7 for printmaster only...)

Cheers
M
Old 09-29-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lululu View Post
First of all, well done great film!
Just out of interest, what level did you mix Rush at? (I hear a lot of German studios mix at Dolby 6 and put it up to 7 for printmaster only...)

Cheers
M
I think the mixers set it to 6-6.5.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
Awesome.

I am a huge Formula 1 fan and have been for decades (and am a fan of Ron Howard), cannot wait to see this in the theaters.

The 70s were such a wild and crazy era for Formula 1 - drivers who crashed could really get killed, or severely maimed (SPOILER ALERT!). Very different times.

That's definitely a case for a SPOILER ALERT for those who don't know the history, or haven't yet seen the movie.

Really wish I'd seen this in a state of the art theatre, but it coincided with my "Support the local 100+ year old cinema" hometown visit.

Still sounded really great though, and arguably more authentically 70's (sorry Frank ).

I also highly recommend the documentary "Senna" even if you're not an F1 fan.

Talking of pseudo 70's movies, I thought the sound for "Behind The Candelabra" was terrific, and also had a lot of really nice comic touches.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
That's definitely a case for a SPOILER ALERT for those who don't know the history, or haven't yet seen the movie.

Really wish I'd seen this in a state of the art theatre, but it coincided with my "Support the local 100+ year old cinema" hometown visit.

Still sounded really great though, and arguably more authentically 70's (sorry Frank ).

I also highly recommend the documentary "Senna" even if you're not an F1 fan.

Talking of pseudo 70's movies, I thought the sound for "Behind The Candelabra" was terrific, and also had a lot of really nice comic touches.
Yes "Senna" was a big inspiration. One of the Producers of Senna was also one of the Producers on "Rush".

Although in terms of sound the two films are very different I think

In terms of authenticity a great effort and direct advise from Niki and other "veterans" went into the whole production. Quite a few figures on screen are original legends. Most noticeably the voice (and face) of F1 Simon Taylor in the film.

Frank.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Yes "Senna" was a big inspiration. One of the Producers of Senna was also one of the Producers on "Rush".

Although in terms of sound the two films are very different I think

In terms of authenticity a great effort and direct advise from Niki and other "veterans" went into the whole production. Quite a few figures on screen are original legends. Most noticeably the voice (and face) of F1 Simon Taylor in the film.

Frank.

Yeah, although Rush & Senna have a remarkable amount in common in terms of the story they are telling, they're completely different types of movie (beyond the obvious Drama vs Documentary), and leave you with two completely different tastes in your mouth.

In terms of authenticity, obviously you have to keep the hardcore fans in mind, who are going to be livid if the cars sound like they have the wrong engines, or are overly augmented with the usual lion roars, and canons - but they only ever experience the race from a spectators point of view, and a big part of Rush is about putting the audience in the cockpit with the drivers. So were Niki, and the other advisors, sticklers for getting the close-up sound truly accurate, or did the encourage artistic license?

As an unrelated anecdote, until this February, there used to be a best kept secret pizzeria in Soho (the Soho Pizza Company) which I used to eat in from time to time, and apparently Niki Lauda was a regular there - though it did seem odd when he would turn up head to toe in red Ferrari F1 kit.

I don't know if he'd come "straight from work", but the impression I got was that he always dressed as if he'd just stepped out of the car.