Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 07-30-2017, 04:01 PM

Default To Dock or not to Dock?

Hi everyone,

In a couple of months time I'm planning to buy S3. I'm an editor and want to have faders so I can quickly adjust levels, panning etc.

But I'm not a mixer. At least at the moment. Would love to mix in the future though.

In that regard, do I need too buy a Dock with S3 or just S3 will be enough? A friend of mine have both and he is happy with the setup. But he is a re-recording mixer. On the other hand, I spoke with a mixer from big Post facility and he basically said that he thinks that Dock is pointless, all you need is an iPad with PT app instead.

Would be interesting to hear your feedback about it, especially from those who use Dock in conjunction with S3. Is Dock useful/irreplaceable or after some time you think you could have done without it? Would it be useful for an editor? Did Dock speed you up? Did Dock improve your workflows? If so, in what way?

Overall I quite like the idea of S3+Dock, feels in some ways as budget S6 but at the same time not only I need to buy the Dock but also an iPad.

Thanks in advance for any feedback/info.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:11 PM

Default Re: To Dock or not to Dock?

Kind of a tough call for anyone else to make for you. I would suggest getting an iPad and experimenting some. A used 2nd gen can be found for less than $200 and while it may NOT be compatible with the DOCK,(Avid recommends an iPad air2, I believe), it still runs the PTControl app fine(so you can get a good idea of what goodies are addressable from the iPad). In theory, the S3 can do nearly everything without the DOCK, but the DOCK does add a lot of handy control(focus fader, automation modes, transport.....). In any case, it will change the way you work if you dig in deep enough. Having worked for several years without faders, I added an Artist Mix here and find I don't reach for it nearly as much as I thought I would(old habits die hard).

also, take a look at the Presonus Faderports(the older single-fader model still gets plenty of use here) and the new Faderport8 has a lot going for it for a fraction of the S3(in fact, the DOCK, with a new iPad 2 AIR and the Faderport8 is still less than just the S3)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-02-2017, 05:52 AM

In my case the dock was an absolute gamechanger in terms of Automation, Shortcuts and working with layouts and groups. As I'm often have large sessions, this makes it very comfortable to keep it under control. The grouping and recall of tracklayouts is maybe done with PT-Control as well. Automation absolutely not.
I'm using the Dock with Artist Mix. On the Mixes I mostly have my VCA's. VCA spill let's me think about buying an S3, too. But as albee wrote, maybe it's the best way to start with the iPad and look how things workout.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:12 AM

The Dock rocks. I am a mixer, so I'm constantly on it doing automation mode changes, Preview, Punch Preview. I'm on the knobs all the time, and the absolute best thing about the Dock is having the wheel in "Move Sel" mode. You'll wonder how you ever used Pro Tools before.

Even when I'm just editing the Dock gives my Back and Play, mark in and out, transport, etc.

My suggestion would be to buy the Dock first, and then see if you need S3.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:20 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
take a look at the Presonus Faderports(the older single-fader model still gets plenty of use here) and the new Faderport8 has a lot going for it for a fraction of the S3(in fact, the DOCK, with a new iPad 2 AIR and the Faderport8 is still less than just the S3)
I know I work for Avid ;-) But...you can't compare a FaderPort8 to a S3...its night and day...16 knobs, VCA spill, Layouts, Softkeys, integration with the Control App/Dock and continual feature additions (as opposed to HUI). The lower cost alternative Controllers have their place, but there's a reason the S3 costs what it does.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
I know I work for Avid ;-) But...you can't compare a FaderPort8 to a S3...its night and day...16 knobs, VCA spill, Layouts, Softkeys, integration with the Control App/Dock and continual feature additions (as opposed to HUI). The lower cost alternative Controllers have their place, but there's a reason the S3 costs what it does.
I certainly agree with you. I was just offering some "budget" options that might do the job the OP needs

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-06-2017, 03:44 PM

I Agree with Reichman's comment, I would get the dock first, then the S3
Windows 10 Pro
2013 MacBook Pro Retina i7 Quad-core, 16gb ram.
Mac OSX 10.11.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory 128 GB 1866 MHZ DDR3
Graphics AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB

PT Ultimate 2022.4.0 on Mac
PT Ultimate 2020.12 on Windows
Logic Pro X 10.6
Nuendo 12.0
1_Antelope Audio_Orion Synergy Core Studio
Old 08-08-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
You're right, but S3 also costs so much because it is also interface, has audio In and Outs, which are used by ... maybe 5% of all owners in the world, and rest pay a lot for nothing. Why Avid doesn't want to put on sale something reasonable wich would cover this hole between S3 and Artist Mix???
Or even better - something ala fader packs for Dock (8 faders/channel strips) which would cost even less than Artist Mix. I'm sure this would be a commercial hit for Avid - every owner of Dock would consider buying at least one right away, and also this would make many many new customers of the Dock... Well, that's my wishes and thoughts 😉
Old 08-08-2017, 02:28 PM
Avid

Totally agree, I think a user should be able to chose the audio interface.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:19 PM

Maro: S3 is the surface that fills the gap. For years, people said "hey Avid, we need something between the Command|8 and the C24!"