Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2016, 11:22 AM

Default Re: HD Omni and ADAT Lightpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjazzy41 View Post
Not trying to hijack the thread here, but I have a relevant issue with my Omni. I record all my sessions at 88.2, hence the need for both ADAT inputs on the back of my Omni and the SMUX protocol. Currently I am running out of an Audient ASP880 via two ADAT cables so that all 8 channels can be transmitted at the 88.2 sample rate. Both the Audient and the Omni say they can do this by using both outputs on the ASP880 and both ADAT inputs on the Omni. Clock is locked, I/O in ProTools is set up so that all 8 inputs on the Omni are ADAT, but I can only get the first 4 to receive signal through the Omni. For some reason, when I try to use the last 4 channels from the ASP880, there is no sound or signal present in ProTools. The I/O is set up correctly in PT in both setup and on the PT mixer, but no sound is passing through. I have signal in the last 4 channels of the ASP880, and signal out of the ASP880 (light pipe is red and kicking), but it is not getting in the second ADAT input of my Omni. What am I missing? It has to be something easy I am missing. Any help in identifying my mistake would be greatly appreciated!
If you were not trying to hijack this thread you would have started a new thread? No? But seriously do that---you'll likely get much better answers especially by using a clear relevant title. And add as much info on other troubleshooting you have tried (e.g. most basic is to swap the TOSLINK cables, make sure both work. Have all the TOSLIK outputs and inputs every worked? (things like dust caps stuck in ports is an embarrassing common problem). Otherwise I'd be lost here, the Audient I think just defaults to SMUX at higher sample rates, and there is no sample rate conversion on the ADAT/SMUX input of the Omni, so if you are seeing input at 88.2 kHz, then the ASP880 must really be outputting at that rate??? And the 880 clock rate LED is showing 88.2 kHz? Anyhow post additional info to a new thread will likely get you more help.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:55 AM

I do not own the omni. Not familiar with it at all. I am asking for someone else. They bought an 8 channel audient ASP800 and I figured it would be limited. I just needed to confirm.

It was sold to them and they said they could get 8 but that's not the case.

TY for the replies!
Old 08-18-2017, 11:04 AM

Default HD Omni and ADAT Lightpipe

?What is your question exactly? Get 8 inputs? Total? In addition to the Omni hardware? The person you are asking for is unable to read the Omni manual and unable to search on DUC and find this already answered?

If they expect to add all 8 inputs of an ADAT preamp to all the inputs on the Omni that cannot be done, the Omni is limited to 8 inputs total, as discussed on DUC many times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

If they expect to add all 8 inputs of an ADAT preamp to all the inputs on the Omni that cannot be done, the Omni is limited to 8 inputs total
to be just a tad more clear, OMNI can do a total of 8 IO from all available. So, you COULD use all 8 from the lightpipe if you disabled all the other inputs (Yes, I think Avid really dropped the ball with OMNI). Having said that, with the current price of a used 192 DIGITAL($250-300), I would grab one of those and bring your ADAT preamps into it, and get all 8(or 16) WITH all the OMNI inputs

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-20-2017, 05:09 PM

Default HD Omni and ADAT Lightpipe

I think Avid worried about harming HD IO sales more than what would be great for customers, or where competitors were heading with their products. The Omni was a really nice product, but would have been much much better with full ADAT expansion. If it would go 2 mic/DI, ADAT and S/PDIF coax in/out I probably would be using one a long time ago. avid also screwed the pooch with early fan noise issues. Now there is just too much competition, especially with some really nice Thunderbolt interfaces from folks like UAD and Apogee. Now that the HD IO looks dead and replaced by the MTRX the Omni seems an orphan in need of an update it likely won't get as Avid exits doing its own hardware. And DAD does not make anything comparable that Avid can just OEM. Maybe they will in future.

That clicking noise you hear is thread clock drift...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I think Avid worried about harming HD IO sales more than what would be great for customers, or where competitors were heading with their products. The Omni was a really nice product, but would have been much much better with full ADAT expansion. If it would go 2 mic/DI, ADAT and S/PDIF coax in/out I probably would be using one a long time ago. avid also screwed the pooch with early fan noise issues. Now there is just too much competition, especially with some really nice Thunderbolt interfaces from folks like UAD and Apogee. Now that the HD IO looks dead and replaced by the MTRX the Omni seems an orphan in need of an update it likely won't get as Avid exits doing its own hardware. And DAD does not make anything comparable that Avid can just OEM. Maybe they will in future.

That clicking noise you hear is thread clock drift.....

Yep to all the above,
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.