Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 03-21-2017, 08:37 PM

Default That was painful - attempting 003 as control for Logic

Wow. I tried to get 003 to be a control surface for Logic Pro 10.3. That was painful. I actually got way further than I thought. I got the 8 003 faders to control Logic's first 8 on-screen faders. I even began setting up mute; but it wS taking double clicks to work. It took a long time to figure it out. And it just was not like the experience with 003 with Pro Tools.

Bummer.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:21 AM

Default Re: That was painful - attempting 003 as control for Logic

Indeed(kudos for diving in). Digi/Avid hardware works quite nicely with Pro Tools, but everything else....not so much(I am often baffled when folks buy Avid hardware with no intention of using Pro Tools software). Pretty sure the Eucon stuff fares much better across the various DAW programs

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-22-2017, 02:42 PM

With Pro Tools, the 003 has been a dream. As perfect as I could hope for; and I haven't even bothered to get past the fundamentals. The fundamentals simply work. ... But, as it's an integrated piece (control surface, AD/DA, preamp, and interface) it's days are numbered, surely. It is working with my 2011 fw800 MBP and PT 12.4 on Mountain Lion, upon initial tests. ... It does NOT work with the same PT/MacOS on my early 2008 MBP. (There PT never exits without getting stuck.)
--
An 8channel AD/DA (and preamps) can bring it to today's standards - IF I needed or wanted that.

--
But, that aside, I'm gonna give Logic a look. ... Hence, motivated to dig in to the MIDI controller side of the 003. ... The reason it was painful was -- I got close. It took a lot of hunting, limited to an iPhone for web searches. But, what I don't know would it be possible to get the fundamentals to simply work, reliably, day in day out. ... And, I don't know if I want to spend the time to find out. ... Hence, I'm fishing for other people's experiences with 003 as a control surface for Logic Pro X.

--
And while I will keep it around for Pro Tools use -- it does take up a lot of space in a small room.

I like having an 8 fader control surface during tracking, arranging, and editing. I.e., not just for mixing. So, if I do migrate DAWs, I'm gonna have to make some decisions. ... Which is why I was hoping to get the 003 to work solidly for Logic Pro.

That would allow me to bounce back and forth between Logic and Pro Tools (PT for mixing.) ... ... Which I supposed will lead to a control surface that works well for Logic, and Pro Tools. ... I'm considering the PreSonus FaderPort 8. ... I'd consider the Avid Artist Mix -- but, I want to stay ahead of the "unsupported" cycle for a vital, but ancillary hardware. I.e., I figure these control surfaces have limited life spans; and it seems Avid Artist Mix has been around too long for my comfort in purchasing one now. I'm surely overthinking this. And I'm likely not wrong.

... I know myself. Once that first dive into the 003 controller side fades, I'll go back in. But, by that point, I'll likely have a FaderPort fading and transporting.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:12 AM

Do you have an iPad? You could have your fader controls on an app like Neyrinck V-control or maybe there are others as well. Neyrinck's setup was very easy when I tried.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:22 AM

Thanks. iPad control may be a great stop-gap measure while I give myself a chance to see if I can use the 003 as a controller for Logic.