Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2010, 05:20 AM

Default Great Tones

Hey guys............

Good Tones:
While I will be the 1st to agree that getting very soild tones is very easy & fast w/ the 11-Rack..................I have a few questions for all of you........

Stellar tones:
I've been looking at all of your tones (Stellar) & how you guys make patches........& I've learned that I don't know what I'm doing at all..........

Having never owned any of these amps & only a few of the FX I have a question for the guys that have had these amps..........

Do the 11-R amps react just like the real thing (for the most part)?

Guys that have been going for there favorite artists sound or tone......Are you find that if you use the same 11-Rack amps & FX you are getting there basic tone? The Dream Theater tones seem 100% correct to me.......As do the a lot of the others..........The Pro ones that the actual artist created sound a lot like there recorded tones as well............

Can some of you guys that have used these different amps (the real ones), mics & speaker cabinets share what you think of the 11-Rack versions?

Any thoughts on how you guys go about creating a new tone or copying an artists tone would be way cool too.........

This goes for anything.....Talk about amp tones or how you do your FX..........Or this pre & post EQ thing.........That is a total mystery to me.....

I'd love to know what you guys have to say.......... Help a brotha out .....

Peace! X-Mann
Old 11-08-2010, 05:31 AM

Default Re: Great Tones

vaisatchatrucci has a Mesa Road King/11r comparison on his youtube site you may find interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/user/vaisatchatrucci
Old 11-10-2010, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Great Tones

Udamnaan,

I think the 11r is a great unit, I would suggest you spend some time tweaking the True z,..as this makes a marked difference in the way the amp sounds and feels. And it isn't subtle, so check it out.

I have a room of amps and effects both vintage and new models, I have owned or still own most of the ones in the 11r. I can say without a doubt, the 11r captures the "essence" of the amps it models.

What I like most about using it is,..I can work fast recording with good sound
knowing that I can reamp after. Oddly, most of the time I wind up keeping the track.

I have great mike pres, and mikes for gtr (great river pres, Royer and shure mikes)

I am clueless using these things,..and most often I wind up getting weird phasing issues on from the mikes,..The 11r,..eliminates all this for me.

On some of the things I've done,..honestly,..I can't really say that with mikes and vintage amps etc,...I can get a better sound. Obviously,... this is my shortcoming. So,.it isn't saying for an engineer who knows what they're doing it would be the case.
BUT,....
I am a guitar player,...not an engineer.

spend some time playing and tweaking and having fun.

this probably didn't help much,...sorry.

best-

Pete
here's the 11r,.
www.petermccarthy.net/HiWire1.mp3