How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-02-2017, 09:33 AM

Default Issue with reading metadata from library files

PT12.6.1
MAC OS 10.12.1

It seems Pro Tools 12 has issues with reading some metadata. This problem may have existed in 11, but I upgraded straight from 10 to 12, so I wouldn't know.

I discovered a few of my sound effects libraries were having trouble importing files from the workspace. They are stereo files, but I was only able to drag them to a mono track. Also, once putting them on the mono track, the clip would be offline, and the window to automatically or manually relink the files would pop up. Lastly, I noticed that the offline clip always had ".A2" added to the end of the name.

I narrowed it down to the fact that the files that I was having trouble importing all had the value of "(A1), (A2)" in the Channel Names column of the workspace. Other files (even from other libraries created by the same company)that did not have this seemed to work fine. Once I removed this metadata from the files, they also worked fine.

My first go around with this, I thought that it must have been just the one company's files, as only a couple of their libraries had it and thought the problem was solved. But I am now finding other libraries from other companies with the same issues. Which makes me think that this might be a relatively common type of metadata to have, and Pro Tools must have a bug in reading metadata from this column?

Any thoughts?
Old 03-02-2017, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Issue with reading metadata from library files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglesworth View Post
PT12.6.1
MAC OS 10.12.1

It seems Pro Tools 12 has issues with reading some metadata. This problem may have existed in 11, but I upgraded straight from 10 to 12, so I wouldn't know.

I discovered a few of my sound effects libraries were having trouble importing files from the workspace. They are stereo files, but I was only able to drag them to a mono track. Also, once putting them on the mono track, the clip would be offline, and the window to automatically or manually relink the files would pop up. Lastly, I noticed that the offline clip always had ".A2" added to the end of the name.

I narrowed it down to the fact that the files that I was having trouble importing all had the value of "(A1), (A2)" in the Channel Names column of the workspace. Other files (even from other libraries created by the same company)that did not have this seemed to work fine. Once I removed this metadata from the files, they also worked fine.

My first go around with this, I thought that it must have been just the one company's files, as only a couple of their libraries had it and thought the problem was solved. But I am now finding other libraries from other companies with the same issues. Which makes me think that this might be a relatively common type of metadata to have, and Pro Tools must have a bug in reading metadata from this column?

Any thoughts?
hi, may i ask what format the SFX files are in ?? wav, AIF, SDII, etc ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 03-04-2017, 05:24 AM

They are .wav files.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
They are .wav files.
if you drag a Stereo File from the Clip List (you would see both A1, A2) to a stereo track does this work ??

if you drag both A1, A2 to the Track List does it create a Stereo File ??

is your session set for interleaved ??

trying to figure out if there is a Workspace issue ...

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 03-05-2017, 03:05 PM

I honestly hadn't tried to import to the clips list before this point. Just never even thought of it. But I just tried, and I get the same error upon import to the clips list. It comes up with the window to choose auto or manual relinking. The clip in the clips list is listed as a mono clip with ".A2" added to the end of the name. Again, i can drag these files out of the finder to my session just fine. but that is inconvenient for obvious reasons.

My session was NOT set to interleaved, and these files came from the company as interleaved. So i tried changing my session to interleaved and dragged a file in from the workspace. I was still only getting a mono file, and the name was appended with ".A2". But it did link to the file and the clip did not come in offline.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I honestly hadn't tried to import to the clips list before this point. Just never even thought of it. But I just tried, and I get the same error upon import to the clips list. It comes up with the window to choose auto or manual relinking. The clip in the clips list is listed as a mono clip with ".A2" added to the end of the name. Again, i can drag these files out of the finder to my session just fine. but that is inconvenient for obvious reasons.

My session was NOT set to interleaved, and these files came from the company as interleaved. So i tried changing my session to interleaved and dragged a file in from the workspace. I was still only getting a mono file, and the name was appended with ".A2". But it did link to the file and the clip did not come in offline.
ok, you tried one thing but did you try dragging the 2 files A1, A2 together into the track list ... on the left side of your edit window ?? should create s stereo track .. just because they are 2 separate files should not stop you from doing this .. pro tools still deals with files as dual mono ..

i may still not be understanding what you are doing as i can import and drag and drop 2 mono files to a stereo all day long .. i feel like i am just not understanding .. sorry man ..

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 03-05-2017, 04:34 PM

There is now clip created with ".A1". Only the one clip with ".A2" is created. There only exists one clip, which can not be placed on a stereo track.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
There is now clip created with ".A1". Only the one clip with ".A2" is created. There only exists one clip, which can not be placed on a stereo track.
you lost me ...

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro