Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-16-2004, 04:48 PM

Default OT: Entertainment vs. Musicianship

As a producer/engineer/musician the lines between the two can get blurred. Can a successful artist have both?

Old 04-16-2004, 04:53 PM

Default Re: OT: Entertainment vs. Musicianship

that depends on what world you live in.
Command/8
PTLE 7.1 MPT
www.clearspotrecording.com
Old 04-16-2004, 05:04 PM

two words, two letters...

U2
Old 04-16-2004, 05:59 PM

hmmm it's very subjective... there are extremes: Britney Spears Vs. King Crimson

wow that's the most obscure comparison I've ever made but it was the first one that came to mind... but if you were a producer whom would you rather represent? That's my question.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:02 PM

Britney. Mmmm...

Old 04-16-2004, 07:32 PM

Mmmmm, indeed. She'd make a bishop kick out a stained glass window.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:38 PM

Yes. You don't have to wear your chops on your sleeve to be a great musician. And just because you're popular doesn't mean you have to stop challenging yourself or your fans. Cases in point:

Peter Gabriel. Those videos are groundbreaking, yet entertain the masses. But you and I know the substance in the songwriting, musicianship, and production--brilliant.

Sting. Big celebrity--transcends the music biz. But the guy will be playing odd-meter grooves in a pop-singable context and hardly anyone realizes it. Songs that sound effortless and natural but are unique and musically challenging--genius.

U2--totally Chris Cavell. Biggest rock show around. People who can't find the one on Sunday Bloody Sunday fill the seats at their shows, but you listen to those deeper tracks on the albums and you know these guys are really in it for the art.

Just my nickle's worth.

Old 04-16-2004, 11:09 PM

Simple:
Successful "artist" = pleases oneself, whether it be thru a work for simple self-gratification, or one created for appeal to a group of people.

As an example:
I write for myself, record for myself, and the final result is for me FIRST. If others like it, and I decide to collaborate with others, trying to please myself comes first, but the others opinion will come into play at some level.

Now take a semi-recent "artist," her name starts with "A" and she comes from Canada. Self-proclaimed (and PR claim) of being "a punk girl." And all it took was a team of songwriters, sessions with several producers and engineers across several studios, and walla! A nice end "product" suited for mass consumption, and capable of being molded, reshaped, and promoted such that the intended "masses" will be sure to lay out the cash necessary to not only overcome the huge bag of cash dumped on the idea, but also provide a healthy profit. Maybe it will even get a nice statue, gold in color, fashioned from a "gram" of dung.

Often, a "true artist" can end up wanting for food and lodging, die relatively unknown, and possibly be discovered later in time. The "artist for hire" lives a life of physical luxury (some times), and at times a life with a complete lack of self-identity, since others have instead fashioned one for them, and after a bit, said artist cannot seem to find their "self" any longer. Drugs can help solve this tho, or a nice reliance on those good ol' fans to reinforce and convince the poor star that he/she does not really need to worry about "self." After all, they don't want that "self," they want the idol capitalism built for them. What a shame...but it can be "entertaining."
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 04-17-2004, 07:21 AM

Quote:
As a producer/engineer/musician the lines between the two can get blurred. Can a successful artist have both?
I would say that they need both if they are trying to

a) Service a market
b) Make money

If someone wants to cling to their art and be prepared for the consequences, fine, I applaud them! But I may not always pay them.

We all like to be entertained. That can also be achieved by great musicianship with a smattering of "showbiz". Alas, it also works the other way around.

Best regards,

Haigbabe
Old 04-17-2004, 09:35 AM

Quote:
for an excellent example, there's a band in NYC called satanicide. they are 1/2 comedy, 1/2 music and they both great musicians and very, very funny. they poke fun at 80s glam rock, complete with spandex and big hair wigs. its totally outrageous...

http://www.satanicide.com/