Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2010, 06:01 PM

Default V10 mxf Video Files

Other than replaying via a V10 or Mojo does anyone know of a software replay or conversion solution for .mxf video files created by a V10 when capturing video in ProTools HD?

I have MXF4Mac Import and can replay .mxf video files created on AVID editing systems in ProTools LE and generally in QuickTime.
However it doesn't recognize the .mxf created by the V10 on a ProTools HD system.

As I have a BMD Intensity Pro card which plays SD and HD video, including the AVID .mfx files, out to an external monitor from ProTools LE 8, I really don't want to go to the expense of a Mojo just to replay this type of video.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:18 PM

Default Re: V10 mxf Video Files

I've seen others mention this: http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/MXFImport_Mac.asp

Digital Media Engineer
Discovery Communications
http://corporate.discovery.com/
Old 07-11-2010, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the reply, however, Calibrated MFX Import seems very similar to MFX4Mac Import, though at a much lower price (Doh!!!).
Unfortunately though it doesn't seem to do more than MFX4Mac Import.

The problem is that the V10 creates MXF files that aren't recognized as video by either program. The only thing that will play them is the V10 or a Mojo.

Update on this. It seems that V2.0 of Calibrated {Q} MFX Import, to be released n the next few weeks may be able to play V10 MXF files.
I sent them a short V10 MXF and they were able to read it with their beta version of MXF Import.

I'll post again once I have been able to test the new version myself.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:57 AM

How about buying Media Composer? - can convert anything Avid to ......

cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 07-12-2010, 09:20 AM

Can Media Composer import ProTools V10 media now? I did not own V10 so I may be out of date, I used to have AVXL and then MOJO. At that time Media Composer did NOT accept mxf video recorded by Pro Tools/AVXL or MOJO. You could play Media Composer files in Pro Tools but not the other way 'round.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:05 AM

Oh sorry Postman, I just assumed it would. I haven't used a v10 since PT 7.2 and HW 8000 with XP were compulsory with unity.

Cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 07-15-2010, 06:14 AM

Yeah the V10 produces a very non-standard MXF file and, as Postman indicated, not even Media Composers will play them.

However, I hardly need to buy another video editing package just to replay a video file format.

Both MXF4Mac Import from Hamburg Audio and Calibrate Software's MXF Import, similar names aren't they, will allow the end user to replay a range of MXF files, including those output by Media Composer, without the need for additional hardware. All you need is the appropriate codecs installed and AVID supply theirs free for replay.

As I said I already have the ability to play out to an external monitor in SD and HD from ProTools LE 8 using a BMD board and can play AVID MXF files just not those recorded by a ProTools HD system using a V10.

However there is a solution looming soon... let you know how it goes when it's released.