Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 02-22-2012, 09:08 AM

Question Is anyone really that impressed with the Channel Strip plugin?

I used it a couple times in the beginning, but couldn't really find anything really impressive about it that would make me keep going back to it. Are you guys using this? And what are you using it on?

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 02-22-2012, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Is anyone really that impressed with the Channel Strip plugin?

It's not "impressive" but it's definetely "productive". Just as well as there's nothing impressive in Sonnox EQ or Dynamics, but they're go-to plugs for many, myself included.

Many think that "good sound" means as transparent as possible, and many think that there needs to be "a color" before one can like the plug. Both opinions are justified, it is just a matter of opinion.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:53 AM

Hello. I agree with JFreak. It's extremely useful and productive, so under that scenario I would call it impressive. Very flexible, extremely transparent.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:05 AM

Compressors and EQ's never "blow my mind"... They are more like the analogy of a wrench. A cheap wrench is harder to use, and breaks easier. A good wrench costs more, but gets the job done without stripping out nuts and bolts, and will withstand daily use without having to be constantly replaced.

A good sample library or DAW program is more like comparing a high end sports or luxury car to a cheap econ-car, there is a lot more to it. But EQs and compressors are a just tools IMHO. Using a cheap wrench on an expensive car doesn't necessarily make the car cheap, just like using an expensive wrench on a cheap car won't turn it into a porsche.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 02-22-2012, 10:06 AM

I like a lot of the design of the plugin.

I like:

1. How you can monitor what you are EQ'ing and filtering.
2. How you can visually see how the xpander and gate are working together in the same window.
3. That you can quickly change the order of EQ/Filter and Dynamics while it is playing back. This can help in some cases to determine whether you should put an EQ or Compressor first.

I don't like:

1. How the Q setting on the EQ defaults to .5 But I should be able to get the plug-in to open with default settings of 1 for the Q setting.

2. I don't feel like the attack on the compressor is fast enough for some scenarios. For example, if you are trying to squash a snare and basically take out all of its attack, the fastest attack setting doesn't seem to control the initial attack as well as other software compressors I have.

In any case, I think this plug-in is very nice so far and I plan to use it in sessions where I am mixing only (on a TDM system so I can't use it in real time). Channel Strips are fun because you can see what is going on quickly.

I would especially love this plug-in if it had the ability to turn on a Frequency Analyzer with the EQ (pre or post). MS EQ would be cool too.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 02-22-2012, 10:07 AM

Although, compared to most within this community, I am just a home recording peon, I really like the channel strip and it was at the top of my deciding factors for upgrading to PT10 only six months after upgrading to PT9. I was very much (and still somewhat am) considering Waves' SSL native pack, but want to put the Avid Channel Strip through some paces before the additional expense. What I'd really, really, really (I mean really) love to find here or on the web are others' settings for the channel strip. Of course, all of this is a bit personal and so dependent upon soooo many listening environment factors, it would still be cool to "see" how it gets put to use, especially by you professionals. There's my 2¢.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
It's not "impressive" but it's definetely "productive". Just as well as there's nothing impressive in Sonnox EQ or Dynamics, but they're go-to plugs for many, myself included.
This is what I mean. Seems like when 10 released, everyone was raving over how the plugin is soooo powerful and some even seemed to use the plugin to justify the price hike of the software. But to me, it just seems just as good as any other channel strip from Waves or T-Racks or something. The ability to switch processing order quickly is the only thing that really impresses me. I wish the EQ had another band though. I do like the plugin though. I just don't see what all the hype was about with it.

But since you mention Sonnox, their limiter is by far the best limiter I've used. And I have the L2007 and the L16. The Sonnox limiter is the only one that doesn't seem to destroy and crush the life out of a snare under heavy limiting. It's like although you are squeezing the dynamics out of the track, the drums still sound completely transparent just as if there were no limiter. This is really important in hiphop where the drums really sit right up front!

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 02-22-2012, 12:19 PM

Considering the fact that Pro Tools didn't previously come with a channel strip, this is a great start for those who do not have any 3rd party plug-ins. If you already have lots of 3rd party channel strips, you may not be overly impressed with the Channel Strip as there are a lot of great channel strips out there on the market.

For me, I work with a lot of students that don't have any 3rd party software. In these cases, it is especially nice to have another EQ/Dynamics option.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 02-22-2012, 12:59 PM

I have a lot of plug-ins, but Channel Strip has become the default first plug that I put on voice tracks (I do post production sound). I engage the high and low filters, boost the volume and dial in a light compression ratio to get some extra transparent gain and leveling. Then I do some mild EQ shaping if needed - all within one AAX plug-in that's light on the CPU! So yeah, I'm impressed. My master limiter of choice is Flux Elixir. I will still use the L2007 on individual tracks or stem busses, but the master always gets Elixir now (usually in 3 stage mode).
Old 02-22-2012, 01:32 PM

Yeah like someone mentioned, I don't get all gooey inside over plugins, especially EQs and compressors. They are staples to getting great mixes and I just want them to work well.

That being said, I've used the EQ3 and Dynamics3 for many years even though people scoffed at them as stock plugins. They actually are fantastic plugs. And now that Pro Tools includes a channel strip plugin you get even more functionality out of the box which is great.

If you already have the SSL channel strip or some other bundle, you may not see it as better, just a nice option to have.