How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-06-2011, 07:13 AM

Default Re: i7 Builds - Specs and Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerransom View Post
OK first off you guys are way smarter than me and I know this... Im new around here but appreciate all of the stuff you are sharing. I'm learning a lot because of it.

I'm going to be in the market soon for a new system and I'm kicking around the idea of trying a custom PC with some version of the i7 processor. That said, I was also considering looking into a Mac. That was actually my first knee jerk reaction just because of the reputation of Apple from my friends in the industry. However, it seems I can get so much more for the money by going the custom PC route. I still wanted to give both a fair shake since I have a couple of months to think it over.

So, with no intent to start a Mac vs PC war... Does anyone know what kind of numbers a stock Mac Pro can get in the tests you have been running? I realize a component is the same inside one box as it is in another, and the processors are the same or similar, but is the main difference in the two just the cost and the OS? Just curious. I also realize some of you are overclocking the processors so I dont know if there is an Apples to Apples comparison that can be made... But if I can get better performance out of a custom machine for $1000 - $1200, instead of a stock Mac pro for $2500, then it seems like a no brainer.

Also, I tried going through the entire thread, but after a week of trying to catch up, I will just ask... I was hoping to find the cost of the top performing configurations. Are you all open to sharing that info or pointing me to where it was shared if I missed it? Thanks!
Well, I honestly can (to an extent) compare "Apple" to apples In the sense that I've tinkered with running OSX on my i7 hardware, purely out of curiosity as to see how PT would run in OSX comparative to W7...and to be honest, i much prefer using W7. Each to their own, but that's my preference. And you're right, you do get much more bang for your buck with a custom build PC. Some will argue that stability and reliability are selling points for apple, but if you do your research right and plenty of planning and digging around to see what's been tested to work and what hasn't then you shouldn't have many dramas at all running a Windows PT rig

Guess it depends what you're used to also. I've grown up with Windows machines, so to me they make sense and are logical (somewhat)...where as I know people who have always had Macs, and find Windows illogical. Much of a muchness really. But if you're after bang for buck, custom build i7 is the way to go in my opinion...especially when you factor in over clocking
PT10, Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, Eleven Rack, i7 950 @3.80GHz, Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler, GA-X58A-UD3R, Corsair CMD12GX3M6A1600C8 12GB, SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD5770 1GB GDDR5 PCIE, Caviar Black 500GB 32MB Cache OS drive, 2x Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache Sata3 (Audio and library), Broadcom BCM94322MC wireless network adapter
W7 - 312 dverbs @ 64 buffer/ 403 dverbs @ 1024
Old 01-06-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
... I was hoping to find the cost of the top performing configurations. Are you all open to sharing that info or pointing me to where it was shared if I missed it? Thanks!
Well, i put together a mock build pretty similar to mine. I noticed you're in the US so took the liberty of putting together the cart on Newegg. Only differences are different brand hot swap bays and i'm using the P183 case instead of the P193 and it came to about $1800. Alternatively you may decide you don't need 12gb of RAM, or may not need an expensive graphics card if the PC is only for PT...and may well decide you'd prefer the i7 980X CPU over the 950. Basically just gotta work out what you want
PT10, Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, Eleven Rack, i7 950 @3.80GHz, Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler, GA-X58A-UD3R, Corsair CMD12GX3M6A1600C8 12GB, SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD5770 1GB GDDR5 PCIE, Caviar Black 500GB 32MB Cache OS drive, 2x Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache Sata3 (Audio and library), Broadcom BCM94322MC wireless network adapter
Old 01-06-2011, 08:46 AM

Thanks Remis!

So what is the advantage of the i7 950 over the 920 or 960? I know the 980x is the holy grail, but if I can get a 920 for $250 or whatever... is there a noticeable difference?

Honestly where I am right now is - I have a 2006 Dell XPS 400 - I just put a FW card in to be able to use my new Avid Mbox Pro (3rd gen) and I have a PT 9 crossgrade waiting on me, but I don't have Win 7 yet, so im just waiting until i get everything where I want it. I should have $1600 in hand in Feb/March to do a build. But I will also need video monitors. I'd like to do dual monitors at some point... but at least would like to get one 27" screen if I cant do a dual set up right away. Im also running the latet Melodyne Editor (wish I had not upgraded from the plug in), so I need to make sure I am compatible with that for optimal performance. I dont have a lot of plugins yet, but will likely be going heavy on the VI's as finances permit.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks Remis!

So what is the advantage of the i7 950 over the 920 or 960? I know the 980x is the holy grail, but if I can get a 920 for $250 or whatever... is there a noticeable difference?

Honestly where I am right now is - I have a 2006 Dell XPS 400 - I just put a FW card in to be able to use my new Avid Mbox Pro (3rd gen) and I have a PT 9 crossgrade waiting on me, but I don't have Win 7 yet, so im just waiting until i get everything where I want it. I should have $1600 in hand in Feb/March to do a build. But I will also need video monitors. I'd like to do dual monitors at some point... but at least would like to get one 27" screen if I cant do a dual set up right away. Im also running the latet Melodyne Editor (wish I had not upgraded from the plug in), so I need to make sure I am compatible with that for optimal performance. I dont have a lot of plugins yet, but will likely be going heavy on the VI's as finances permit.
Well basically the only difference between the 920 and 950 is the multiplier. The 920 uses a 21x multiplier, giving a 2.835Ghz speed (21x135BCLK) whereas the 950 uses a 23x multiplier, giving a 3.06Ghz speed. If you don't plan on overclocking then, given they are now pretty much the same price, i'd go with the 950. I also like the idea of the 950 for Overclocking anyway, as you can still select a 21x multiplier, so gives you more options. And yes, the 980x is 6cores of legendary goodness

$1600 should get you a nice build. Mine only cost me more as i added things I didn't necessarily need, like hot swap bays, a fan controller, 4 case fans, 12Gb of RAM, a higher end graphics card and a monster CPU cooler.

One of these builds will definitely be compatible for the use you're talking about
Old 01-08-2011, 01:23 AM

What about C.I.A.2 ?
Should that be enabled or disabled ?
Old 01-08-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daslicht View Post
What about C.I.A.2 ?
Should that be enabled or disabled ?
CPU Intelligent Accelerator 2 (C.I.A.2) is designed to automatically adjust CPU computing power
to maximize system performance. C.I.A.2 allows your system bus to be changed dynamically
based on CPU loading through the use of 5 preset states.

NO...it should NOT be enabled. this would cause your system to fluctuate dependin' on loads...one of last things you'd want in a DAW IMHO. the more one is aware of their systems state (ie...clock speed, ram timings, voltages, etc) , the better. enablin' CIA2 would remove that awareness. can you say 9xxx errors???

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 01-09-2011, 10:53 AM

New build running PT 9.01

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD3R Rev.2 BIOS FE
VGA PNYlVCQFX380-PCIE-PB FX380 RT
ENERMAX MODU82+ EMD625AWT_II 625W ATX12V v2.3
Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model
Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200
RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM
SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98
LightScribe Support
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for
System Builders - OEM
Mbox2 - moved to different usb ports because of some lag. Not sure that was the problem but it seemed to go away once the usb port was changed.

Went through the W& x64 optimizations.
Went through the Avid Windows Guide.
I haven't done a dverb test or added Strike, etc.
I have the playback engine set to:
64 samples and 128 samples
7 processors (at 8, getting inconsistent HW buffer error)
cpu usage limit at 90%
DAE playback buffer level 2
cache size: large
plug-in streaming buffer: check box, optimize for streaming content on audio drives.

So far it's running smoothly. Will post again after loading some older sessions with more plugins.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
PT 12, Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 ATX LGA2011 MB,Intel Core i7-3930 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor,Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 2GB GDDR3 PCI-e Video Card, Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Blue 32GB (4x8GB),Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler, Rosewill Stallion Series RD700 700W Power Supply,Western Digital Caviar Black Internal system/session/samples,Windows 7 Professional 64-bit,Mbox2
Old 01-13-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryk View Post
New build running PT 9.01

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD3R Rev.2 BIOS FE
VGA PNYlVCQFX380-PCIE-PB FX380 RT
ENERMAX MODU82+ EMD625AWT_II 625W ATX12V v2.3
Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model
Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200
RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM
SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98
LightScribe Support
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for
System Builders - OEM
Mbox2 - moved to different usb ports because of some lag. Not sure that was the problem but it seemed to go away once the usb port was changed.

Went through the W& x64 optimizations.
Went through the Avid Windows Guide.
I haven't done a dverb test or added Strike, etc.
I have the playback engine set to:
64 samples and 128 samples
7 processors (at 8, getting inconsistent HW buffer error)
cpu usage limit at 90%
DAE playback buffer level 2
cache size: large
plug-in streaming buffer: check box, optimize for streaming content on audio drives.

So far it's running smoothly. Will post again after loading some older sessions with more plugins.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
"The Dverb 2.0 Test

Please make sure that RTAS Engine Ignore Errors During Playback/Record box is unchecked

Start the computer. Create a brand new 24bit/48k Session on your audio drive for the Dverb test. Open up the system usage window in PT. Then, go to Setup > Playback Engine... > and make sure the RTAS engine: Ignore Errors During Playback/Record(may cause clicks and pops) is NOT checked. Also, Go to your buffer setting and select 1024(CPU usage must be 95% or highest possible). Set up your time line ruler for Min:Secs. You want to be in grid mode and set up your grid for Min:Secs and 1 second. Create one mono audio track. Take the selector tool, put it on the 5 minute mark in your audio track and drag this to the start of your session. You will now have 5 minutes selected in this track. Go to AudioSuite > Other > Signal Generator and click on the "process" but. You should now see a 5 minute test tone. Create another audio track and insert 5 Dverbs in all the inserts. Record arm the Dverb track. Click on the track name so it is high lighted white, and hit shift+alt+D then hit enter. Record arm the new track and continue this pattern. You want to be able to record WITHOUT THE TEST TONE BREAKING UP!! Keep adding Dverbs and recording. If the test tone starts to breakup, then delete some Dverbs until you can hear a SOLID TEST TONE for 5 MINUTES. This is VERY VERY important. The test tone has to be 100% solid!!!"

Dverb 2.0 Test: 240
I left strike and tlspace in the plugins folder. I don't know if that would make a difference.

Another thing that was odd in this testing was I added up to 50 tracks of dverbs and the tone broke until I removed down to 30 tracks. I then started adding tracks and got to 49 and the tone broke up. It didn't at 48. I started removing tracks one by one and still the tone was breaking up. I'm down to 20 tracks and the tone is still breaking up. Some how, I don't think I'm running the test correctly. Any thoughts.
PT 12, Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 ATX LGA2011 MB,Intel Core i7-3930 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor,Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 2GB GDDR3 PCI-e Video Card, Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Blue 32GB (4x8GB),Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler, Rosewill Stallion Series RD700 700W Power Supply,Western Digital Caviar Black Internal system/session/samples,Windows 7 Professional 64-bit,Mbox2
Old 01-13-2011, 06:29 PM

Talking Re: i7 Builds - Specs and Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryk View Post
"The Dverb 2.0 Test

Please make sure that RTAS Engine Ignore Errors During Playback/Record box is unchecked

Start the computer. Create a brand new 24bit/48k Session on your audio drive for the Dverb test. Open up the system usage window in PT. Then, go to Setup > Playback Engine... > and make sure the RTAS engine: Ignore Errors During Playback/Record(may cause clicks and pops) is NOT checked. Also, Go to your buffer setting and select 1024(CPU usage must be 95% or highest possible). Set up your time line ruler for Min:Secs. You want to be in grid mode and set up your grid for Min:Secs and 1 second. Create one mono audio track. Take the selector tool, put it on the 5 minute mark in your audio track and drag this to the start of your session. You will now have 5 minutes selected in this track. Go to AudioSuite > Other > Signal Generator and click on the "process" but. You should now see a 5 minute test tone. Create another audio track and insert 5 Dverbs in all the inserts. Record arm the Dverb track. Click on the track name so it is high lighted white, and hit shift+alt+D then hit enter. Record arm the new track and continue this pattern. You want to be able to record WITHOUT THE TEST TONE BREAKING UP!! Keep adding Dverbs and recording. If the test tone starts to breakup, then delete some Dverbs until you can hear a SOLID TEST TONE for 5 MINUTES. This is VERY VERY important. The test tone has to be 100% solid!!!"

Dverb 2.0 Test: 240
I left strike and tlspace in the plugins folder. I don't know if that would make a difference.

Another thing that was odd in this testing was I added up to 50 tracks of dverbs and the tone broke until I removed down to 30 tracks. I then started adding tracks and got to 49 and the tone broke up. It didn't at 48. I started removing tracks one by one and still the tone was breaking up. I'm down to 20 tracks and the tone is still breaking up. Some how, I don't think I'm running the test correctly. Any thoughts.
Well, this post is getting longer and longer. My last try (and it is my last try) at the dverb 2 test got me 290 dverbs. That's not because of the test tone breaking up, it's because the audio device underflowed, a -6085 error - decrease the H/W Buffer... it's at 1024, reducing doesn't work...

and then there was... getting back to work!
Old 01-13-2011, 07:07 PM

thanks for postin' your build. i'll add it to page 1

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff