Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2012, 01:35 AM

Default Re: i7 Builds - Specs and Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
typically if you are turning on xmp, it is doing some sort of oc'ing. i leave it off and set everything manually.

in the pro tools setups are you setting your machine to run on all but 1 of your processors??? it will probably default at 6.
When you say set everything to manual are you referring to the Memory Settings or also CPU settings? I have disabled XMP by going to manual and setting the RAM timings manually as well?

I have been selecting all 1024 Samples, 12 processors, 90%, Unchecked Ignore Errors during playback, Delay Comp Engine set to None,, Plug-In Streaming Buffer set to default Level 2, Unchecked Optimize for streaming content......

What kind of DVerb Results are typical for PTLE 10 with this type of config?

By the way, does it matter that I'm doing the test using the PTLE 10 DVerb?
Old 08-11-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by versatyle View Post
When you say set everything to manual are you referring to the Memory Settings or also CPU settings? I have disabled XMP by going to manual and setting the RAM timings manually as well?

I have been selecting all 1024 Samples, 12 processors, 90%, Unchecked Ignore Errors during playback, Delay Comp Engine set to None,, Plug-In Streaming Buffer set to default Level 2, Unchecked Optimize for streaming content......

What kind of DVerb Results are typical for PTLE 10 with this type of config?

By the way, does it matter that I'm doing the test using the PTLE 10 DVerb?
xmp settings will set both ram and cpu settings to various settings when turned on. safer to get your bios to default and then change the settings to the manual settings instead of auto. typically will have to change your ram to the recommended settings and make sure your cpu multiplier does not change. would run it this way for a month or so before trying to oc anything. if you are doing no oc'ing, i would leave turbo on.

you want to be using the dverb in pt10. just make sure its mono on mono audio tracks then mono aux tracks.

i dont know exactly how many you should be getting on this build but i would think you should be passing 300.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 08-11-2012, 11:29 AM

I'm going to revert to my base image without PT 10 and set my bios back to default settings with exception to the manually entered primary DRAM timings, disabling speedstep, LAN2, Azalia HD audio, via 1394 controller and serial port. I'm going to reinstall PT 10 and run some dverb test with this basic setup and see what I get.

As for the actual dverb tests, I'm setting up one track as the tone generated signal, then setting up 1 mono track with 5 dverb inserts and duplicating that track until I have reached the 300 plugin count which is 60 record enabled mono tracks and finally I actually record through all 60 tracks simultaneously until I can go the full 5 min uninterrupted. I do this until it stops and tells me I'm running out of CPU.

I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-11-2012, 01:22 PM

Well my old computer just died so I'm looking to start a new i7 build. I've read through some of this thread but its a lot to take in. I think I've got it mostly figured out I'm just looking for the aok. I'm trying to keep costs reasonable so I'll be recycling a few things if I can.

New parts:
Intel i7 3820
ASUS P9X79 LE
Arctic Cooling i30
G.Skill Ripjaws Z DDR3 1600 16GB (4x4)
WD Caviar Black 500 GB HDD (system)
Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD (audio)
Windows 7 Home Premium

Recycled parts:
ASUS EAH4350 (I think that's the model, I'm away from my computer. Will this even be compatible with the new system?)
CD/DVD drive
SIIG FireWire card
600W PSU
Rack mount computer case
A couple of hard drives from the last computer

I'll be using PTMP 8.something for now and 2 UAD-2 Solos with a ProFire 2626 and Lucid ADA8824. I'll be updating to 9 or 10 when I get more money. Also I probably won't be doing any overclocking.

Anyone seeing anything glaringly wrong with this setup? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm hoping to order the parts by Monday. Thank you.

- Bryan
Old 08-12-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theartofshredding View Post
Well my old computer just died so I'm looking to start a new i7 build. I've read through some of this thread but its a lot to take in. I think I've got it mostly figured out I'm just looking for the aok. I'm trying to keep costs reasonable so I'll be recycling a few things if I can.

New parts:
Intel i7 3820
ASUS P9X79 LE
Arctic Cooling i30
G.Skill Ripjaws Z DDR3 1600 16GB (4x4)
WD Caviar Black 500 GB HDD (system)
Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD (audio)
Windows 7 Home Premium

Recycled parts:
ASUS EAH4350 (I think that's the model, I'm away from my computer. Will this even be compatible with the new system?)
CD/DVD drive
SIIG FireWire card
600W PSU
Rack mount computer case
A couple of hard drives from the last computer

I'll be using PTMP 8.something for now and 2 UAD-2 Solos with a ProFire 2626 and Lucid ADA8824. I'll be updating to 9 or 10 when I get more money. Also I probably won't be doing any overclocking.

Anyone seeing anything glaringly wrong with this setup? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm hoping to order the parts by Monday. Thank you.

- Bryan
I don't see anything wrong, but I would probably use the WD Black as my recording drive

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-12-2012, 08:48 PM

i7 3770k vs 3930k for PTLE?
Old 08-12-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw0mgt View Post
i7 3770k vs 3930k for PTLE?
Core i7-3770K (22nm Ivy Bridge) like other supported LGA1155 chipsets host on-die graphic processors which are not recommended by Avid. Core i7-3930K however do not host on-die graphic processors thus falling in line with Avid's recommended dedicated graphic processor controllers. This may or may not be a contributing factor to LGA1155 less than successful run with Pro Tools but it can't be ruled out neither. Users do at their own risk, IMNSHO.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:04 PM

^^^ Filo is right ^^^

If you feel that the 3930K is out of budget for you, go with the 3820.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 08-13-2012, 04:02 PM

And pay attention to the socket. Intel i7 cpu's can be had in several flavors and only the socket 2011 will mount on the X79 mobo(and that's the route you should go).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-14-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I don't see anything wrong, but I would probably use the WD Black as my recording drive
Will do. Now I'm thinking I'll use a WD caviar blue 320GB for system, WD caviar black 500GB for audio and that Seagate 1TB for internal backup (I already own it but it's still in the box, Best Buy impulse buy right before my computer bit the dust.)

Thanks for all the help. This forum is such a great resource. Can't wait to build my new rig.