Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-01-2003, 06:55 AM

Default Do some CD-R drives not read a certain type of disk?

Hello,

This is the first time that I have ever encountered this. Last night when I had a couple masters delivered to me for a compilation album that I am helping to put together, my computer couldn't read it. It had no problem with any other kind of disk, I could put in anything else, but the cd's I got from this mastering house I couldn't read. I couldn't even play them with win-amp or read the disk with any of my CD Ripping programs. Not wavelab, not CD Architec, not Audio grabber, not even the disk copy function would work in my cheapo cd burning software. I was pissed.

I thought ok, so he put some copyright protection on there, not a problem, I will just use my buddies dvd player and use the optical out on it to go into pro-tools to get a lossless copy. Well I came into work today, and my computer at work seems to read everything just fine. Last night after several restarts my computer still couldn't read it, even though I would put in a normal burned cd after that and that cd would work just fine.

So what I'm wondering is if there is a certain kind of cd that my Sony cd burner just won't read? Everything else seems to handle it just fine. I don't think it is copyright protection or why would any other computer be able to read this certain disk. oh man, maybe it's time for me to get a new burner.