Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2011, 02:19 PM

Smile Cannot be designated as an Audio Record Volume because it is not a valid Audio Volume

That old chestnut.
I recently created a clean instalation of Protools M Powered on a fresh installation of OSX 10.6.6

Before I can create a new project using the normal method, need to designate a hard disk drive to use as an Audio Volumes for Protools.

However, when I followed the instructions on how to change the designations of the available drive's attached to my computer from T (transfer) to P (playback) or R (record), I get the following message:

"Cannot be designated as an Audio Record Volume because it is not a valid Audio Volume"

I have so far tried the given answers to this problem, such as dumping the preferences / DAE folder / etc.
And making sure that the non-boot hard drive is formatted in HFS+ format.

I have also had a look at permissions etc. and made the hard drive read and write at all levels.
Still, I am not able to set this drive as an Audio Volume.
I also know that there shouldn't be a problem with the hd as it is an internal SATA 2 drive.

Anyone have any ideas? Please...
Old 02-23-2011, 04:44 PM
Avid

Default Re: Cannot be designated as an Audio Record Volume because it is not a valid Audio Vo

Which model Mac is this? I'm guessing that maybe the drive either was never erased using Disk Utility (factory formats are usually a no-go) or that it's formatted with a APM (Apple Partition Map) instead of GUID (Global Unique IDentifier).

To determine if it's GUID or APM, launch Disk Utility then, in the left panel, click on the main drive - not the indented one with the name of the drive - and look at the bottom of the Disk Utility window where it has info on the drive like 'Disk Description', 'Connection Type', 'Connection Bus', etc - you'll see 'Partition Map Scheme' listed last - what does it say?
Old 02-23-2011, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Cannot be designated as an Audio Record Volume because it is not a valid Audio Vo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
....instead of GUID (Global Unique IDentifier).
That's been it, every time i've had that problem...

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 02-24-2011, 02:12 PM

Hello. and thanks for answering my post. appreciate the help.
I have tried both partition tables.

Although the hard drive was quiet an old one and was not the official internal hard drive that normally come with apple macs.

Still, I think it was compatible with OSX and is quiet fast, being a SATA 2 drive with a speed of 7200.

I shall have another go. Luckerly, I have a new Hitachi 500 GB HD coming down which is designed for A/V use, as is compatible with OSX.

That should hopefully come down in the next couple of days.
So, will wait till then if I still have a problem.

Still, thanks for your input. The world needs people like you.
Nice people who help each other.
Will return once the HD comes and let you know how I get on.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Which model Mac is this? I'm guessing that maybe the drive either was never erased using Disk Utility (factory formats are usually a no-go) or that it's formatted with a APM (Apple Partition Map) instead of GUID (Global Unique IDentifier).
Odd, in that, with my G5, I MUST make sure the audio drives are APM and not GUID. I've resolved to format ALL of my external FW drives as APM and haven't had a problem in years.

I understood GUID is mainly for drives that are to be bootable with Intel machines. Other than that, why not use APM?
Old 01-14-2012, 10:17 AM

I have a new iMac 10.7.2 with MacOS Extended Journaled drive using ProTools LE 7.4.2.

I've tried to change the T to R in Workspace but I get this error, "HDA drive cannot be designated as an audio record volume because it is not a valid audio volume".
Old 02-08-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjtowner View Post
I have a new iMac 10.7.2 with MacOS Extended Journaled drive using ProTools LE 7.4.2.

I've tried to change the T to R in Workspace but I get this error, "HDA drive cannot be designated as an audio record volume because it is not a valid audio volume".
I've gotten this same error a few days ago. The strange thing is that I had used that drive the day before and it was working. I tried deleting the Digidesign Database folder in the roof of the drive and restarting PT but that didn't help. I couldn't fix it so I copied the session on another drive.
Do you have any advice?

Thanks
Old 02-15-2016, 03:49 PM

Good evening folks.

I realize this is an old question, but I figured I could take this moment to possibly offer a solution for running Pro Tools 7.4 on Mac OS 10.7.5.

I have this configuration because my Audio Interface is an M-Audio Project Mix I/O (Firewire) which is run by an older Mac Mini (Core 2 Duo). I run both Logic and Pro Tools on the system.

Upon installing Pro Tolls 7.4 on the mac (with the M-Audio Drivers already loaded) and authorizing with my iLok, I was able to open the demo session with no issues (Had to configure the console automation settings in Peripherals). After opening the "Workspace", subsequent starts of the application resulted in the "Cannot be designated as an Audio Record Volume" error when loading the exact same session.

Uninstalling and re-installing Pro-Tools restored the software to perfect working order. My recommendation (although a bit hacky) would simply be to stay out of the Workspace view.

If I learn any better way to keep PT running, I'll be sure to update here.

Hope this helps someone!

-M