Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 08-01-2018, 08:12 AM

Default T-Racks Group Buy

IK is having another group buy for the month of August. It's a great chance to pick up a few of their plugins if you are interested!

Asus P6X58D-E, Intel i7 930, 12 Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3
2 WD Black Cavier 640 Gb SATA 3Gb/s 32MB Cache
Windows 10 Pro
Old 08-01-2018, 11:09 AM

Default Re: T-Racks Group Buy

finally.. can get the last few I don't have without upgrading to a new suite :)
Old 08-01-2018, 01:41 PM

The IK group buys can get insanely good especially towards the end when lot of people jump in. That's how I got a lot of what I have from them.

That being said I rarely use much of what I have from them. From the TRacks stuff the plugins I use on a regular basis are the Black 76 and the White 2A (LA2A emu). And of course Amplitube 4 for when I need Fender, Mesa Boogie and Ampeg. Almost forgot Sampletank; I like what can be done if one wanders under the hood.

Other than that most sits unused as I have other stuff I like better. One word of warning - unless you really need them I'd stay away from the SSL emulations they have. Takes a lot of input signal to drive them and even then they sound like shyte.

QAPLA!
Old 08-01-2018, 06:37 PM

The only one I don't have is the Leslie. Hardly worth a Group Buy for me at this point.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.a.billington View Post
The only one I don't have is the Leslie. Hardly worth a Group Buy for me at this point.
You're not missing anything. As is usual with IK they don't quite get everything right at times and this is one. If you look at the IK page for the Leslie s/w (there's actually 3 - one for TRacks, one for Amplitube and one that's a combo of those two) they have a description and some of what they write is flat-out wrong. Take for instance the cabinet height - the pair of 122;s and the 147 are all the same height - 41.625 inches high (nominally referred to as 41 inches). The 145 and 142 models were shorter at 33 inches.

I demoed them some time back and was disappointed in the sound, having played through real 122's and 147's and a 122 with the external stompbox-type preamp. Some of the bottom end seemed to be missing. Also I'm not sure how truly IK emulated the upper section. On a real 122/147 yes there are two horns but one is closed off. This was done to balance the rotor and the sound with the lower rotor elsewise you would have double the sound from the upper versus the lower.

So to paraphrase a TV commercial: what's in my computer? The PSP L'otary.

QAPLA!
Old 08-02-2018, 07:55 AM
IK Multimedia

We got them right enough for the official blessing from Hammond/Leslie (and they, like others - Mesa, Fulltone, etc) were quite tough during the process.

If there are some informational issues on the web site/documentation those are easily fixed and will be reported to the team. The accuracy in modeling is what's important and we did nail it with Leslie.

I know you have some issues with IK outside of our plugin quality that I'm sorry to say but seems like that may influence your posting of negative marks on IK in almost every thread here and elsewhere. I have and will continue to offer to assist you directly with any issues you have with service/support or otherwise so drop me a PM if you'd like to move forward with us instead of downward against.

As far as the Leslie plugin goes, here's a Hammond endorsee amazing organ player playing through Leslie with the Greg Koch Trio. Sounds pretty dang realistic and the quality was there for him and those who listened, so I suggest folks give this a listen and also try the demo to come to their own conclusion (four videos in this playlist):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...YoK8KUZTKeEbxe
Old 08-02-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK Multimedia View Post
We got them right enough for the official blessing from Hammond/Leslie (and they, like others - Mesa, Fulltone, etc) were quite tough during the process.

If there are some informational issues on the web site/documentation those are easily fixed and will be reported to the team. The accuracy in modeling is what's important and we did nail it with Leslie.

I know you have some issues with IK outside of our plugin quality that I'm sorry to say but seems like that may influence your posting of negative marks on IK in almost every thread here and elsewhere. I have and will continue to offer to assist you directly with any issues you have with service/support or otherwise so drop me a PM if you'd like to move forward with us instead of downward against.

As far as the Leslie plugin goes, here's a Hammond endorsee amazing organ player playing through Leslie with the Greg Koch Trio. Sounds pretty dang realistic and the quality was there for him and those who listened, so I suggest folks give this a listen and also try the demo to come to their own conclusion (four videos in this playlist):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...YoK8KUZTKeEbxe
I've tried working through IK support and they have been less than useful. Never a reply. I've given up on banging my head against the wall with you and IK as nothing ever gets resolved.

QAPLA!
Old 08-02-2018, 08:27 PM

If you ARE interested in the Leslie, and the group buy, the Leslie can be had for 100 Credits in the Custom shop right now. The regular price is $129.99, so it opens up all of their plugins (minus Master EQ 432 and Lursen Mastering Console) to choose from.

Asus P6X58D-E, Intel i7 930, 12 Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3
2 WD Black Cavier 640 Gb SATA 3Gb/s 32MB Cache
Windows 10 Pro
Old 08-03-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You're not missing anything. As is usual with IK they don't quite get everything right at times and this is one. If you look at the IK page for the Leslie s/w (there's actually 3 - one for TRacks, one for Amplitube and one that's a combo of those two) they have a description and some of what they write is flat-out wrong. Take for instance the cabinet height - the pair of 122;s and the 147 are all the same height - 41.625 inches high (nominally referred to as 41 inches). The 145 and 142 models were shorter at 33 inches.

I demoed them some time back and was disappointed in the sound, having played through real 122's and 147's and a 122 with the external stompbox-type preamp. Some of the bottom end seemed to be missing. Also I'm not sure how truly IK emulated the upper section. On a real 122/147 yes there are two horns but one is closed off. This was done to balance the rotor and the sound with the lower rotor elsewise you would have double the sound from the upper versus the lower.

So to paraphrase a TV commercial: what's in my computer? The PSP L'otary.
These are vintage devices, no two sound the same. The older they are the more diverse the variations. This is largely due to lower standards on component tolerances, wear and tear and the replacement of parts over the years.

You could put 3 Leslies of the same model next to each other and you would notice a difference in the tonality. I’m assuming IK modelled these under tight studio conditions, as opposed to a typically resonant room. The would also be going through various mic models which also have their own personality.

As you can see, there are far to many wild card elements to be able to make a fair evaluation. Not to mention, memories can never be relied on, not even in a police line up.

Not that I’m jumping in defence, I just see many plugin vs real world comparisons made and many seem to be oblivious to the finer details. It may not sound like the one you played in the space you were in. But it seems that Hammond have scrutinised it heavily, which I would assume it means it sounds like the Leslis. IK modelled in their space, through their equipment.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:09 PM
IK Multimedia

The T-RackS Group Buy is now at 276 so you get TWO free processors now and we're well on the way to the next tier.