Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2013, 01:28 PM

Default Dolby CP750

I was recently pointed to this device as a processor to sit between PT and the studio monitors. I would feed the outputs of ProTools (AES or analog) to the CP750. Use the onboard 1/3 octave filters to iron out any small room anomalies, use the delays to time align the monitors and have some presets available for the various surround formats used in post today. (not Atmos, I know).
Is this overkill? Are there devices out there that perform the above functions with as much ease, perhaps with a smaller price tag? Does anyone have some sound (sic) advice to pass on before I part with my money?
Many thanks to those who would care to reply
Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64GB RAM OSX 13.6, PT Ultimate 2023.12 HDn, MTRX Studio, 2x Avid S1, PT Dock...
Old 09-02-2013, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Dolby CP750

I just installed a QSC Qsys into my room. It sounds amazing, is very powerful and can handle any format that exists or will be dreamed of. Contact QSC to see if it fits your situation. I have a 37 speaker Meyer Acheron system for an Auro-3D 11.1 system. I need flexibility and sonics. This unit does it!
A CP750 is not the best choice for your set up.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:30 AM

The CP 750 is more used in cinemas, the CP650 being more widely used in studios.

Be aware that you´ll need somebody that has authorized access to program the unit, it´s not something you do with the front knobs. You need to connect a laptop to the front panel and use appropriate(proprietary) software to EQ the monitoring. At least that´s my experience with the CP650.

In my opinion, you have better options for the money. My recommendation is the Trinnov SC:

http://www.trinnov.com/products/pro-...mc/?lang=en_us

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 09-03-2013, 12:32 PM

I have a CP 750 and it simply works.
The eq is fine, the calibration is easy and yes you need a PC to change parameters, but a PC is not too hard to come by.
I have an x curve and a tv mix curve in mine.
AES in from 192 or Omni, and analog if you are using an xmon (I bypassed my xmon)
Also, once calibrated, dolby 7 is exactly that, no guesswork.

Brian Power, CAS
thehideoutstudios.com
Old 09-04-2013, 12:35 AM

Although a CP750 is great at the mix stage, when using d-command with a dedicated x-mon unit, but for the smaller rooms (without x-mon) I would not recommend it.
Why? No dedicated functions as mono, solo for L,C,R,Ls,Rs,LFE channels. No mutes, no dims, alt speakers e.t.c

Now, you can use Neyrinck V-Mon (only TDM and HDX) for that and many do so, however I personally prefer a hardware monitor controller...and I am also on HDn

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24