Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 07-09-2019, 03:49 AM

Default Collaboration question

I have subscribed to PT, so that I can send 10 songs to a mix engineer. I use Cubase. I want to send PT sessions, to make it easier to mix and to provide a starting point. I have 2 general questions which I am hoping could be answered without too much bother.
1. Grouping tracks in PT - I started out using Groups; then went to Auxes; now I'm thinking that I've used 32 Auxes for groups - perhaps I should be using a mixture of Groups; Auxes and VCA's? In other words, Auxes for FX; and where I need effects across the tracks - like a Drum bus. And VCA's for when I simply need relative volumes to stay the same? I'm worried about resources here. Can I just keep adding busses? I'm on a MacBook Retina.
2. The engineer will use a template of his own - does it make it more difficult if I do indeed put the tracks into Auxes etc - I'm not doing this to start the mix; I'm just doing it because some type of pre-mix helps me to check that all of the tracks are there. I have about 80 tracks per song. I don't want him to have to remove all the tracks from their sends and groupings before he imports his mix template.

I hope this is clear enough to get my meaning. Your time is much appreciated.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Collaboration question

As someone that receives sessions for mixing, I recommend you send 2 versions.

#1 would be stripped to nothing but audio tracks(and VI instrument or midi stuff should be committed(rendered to audio tracks). If possible, have stereo stuff on stereo audio tracks and mono stuff on mono audio tracks(some DAW's make it tough to export mono tracks and they end up as a stereo track, but L&R audio are actually identical). This doesn't even need Pro Tools if you are to consolidate all audio tracks(back to 00:00:000) and export the audio. With the audio files all starting at the same spot, they can be imported into any DAW

#2 would represent SOME input from you about effects or plugins(let the next engineer decide their own routing, grouping, etc). I would also create color groups(just color tracks that belong together like red for drums, blue for bass, etc(everyone seems to have their own colors, but I still hate looking at a session of 64 audio tracks that are all the same color)

In both cases, MAKE CERTAIN that all tracks AND audio files are named appropriately(nobody wants to solo every tracks and figure out what it is)
You might even include your own best mix(bounced to a stereo track) so the mixer can hear some ideas that the artists wants. If you have any really important effect(especially if its really tough to recreate), I would print that as well

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave