Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2013, 08:28 PM

Default Wireless internet or wired recording computer?

Does it matter? This is for a desktop. Clearly all laptops nowadays are wireless. So is wired better or the same as wired for my desktop as far as anything affecting recording?
Old 04-20-2013, 06:50 AM

Default Re: Wireless internet or wired recording computer?

Your best bet is to not have the recording computer connected to the internet at all. Read the pro tools windows optimizations. I believe one of them is to disable the network adapter. Also you should disable anti-virus software, as it may interfere with PT. If you have to have the computer connected to the internet, do not have it connected while using PT.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:12 AM

+1
I have 2 computers in each room. One runs PT and is not connected to any network. The other is connected for internet use and everything else.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:58 AM

The Optimizations recommend using the most recent driver for your network adapter, but if you get DAE errors, try disabling the network adapter. Wireless adapters are know to cause issues, so I'd definitely not use them. My DAW is connected to the internet, I run Antivirus software, and I have no issues running Pro Tools.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 04-20-2013, 11:01 AM

I've always had my PT rig on the 'net so I can upload to my FTP. But that's the ONLY thing it's ever on for. Never had an issue with it in 15 years.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
The Optimizations recommend using the most recent driver for your network adapter, but if you get DAE errors, try disabling the network adapter. Wireless adapters are know to cause issues, so I'd definitely not use them. My DAW is connected to the internet, I run Antivirus software, and I have no issues running Pro Tools.
+1
Old 04-20-2013, 01:46 PM

For any type of professional use, a dedicated computer for audio is definitely recommended.

I have been using PT as a hobbyist for a long time & have never had any problems with running the internet (both wireless & non wireless) on the same computer as PT. I also use Anti Virus software which I created an 'Exception' in for Pro Tools within that software.

Baring in mind that AV program runs in background using resources I disable it for any larger PT session.

I suspect whether or not network connections have any impact on PT depends on individual computer components/configuration since some people have problems while others don't. Personally I believe if you have an internet connection that doesn't effect Pro Tools, then it shouldn't matter whether or not it is a wireless connection.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O

Last edited by zedhed; 04-20-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinball Wizard View Post
+1
I have 2 computers in each room. One runs PT and is not connected to any network. The other is connected for internet use and everything else.
Sorry, but that sounds overly ridiculous. And I don't mean that in your direction.
If I had to use 2 computers in order to be able to run PT and have an internet connection, I would laugh in a glass, seal it, set it on fire and throw it into the room with the two computers.

It's 2013, not 1993 anymore. Someone should come up with a solution, so an active internet connection does not interfere with any kind of software anymore.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 04-20-2013, 03:29 PM

Again, I have my PT rig on the 'net, and could PROBABLY do everything I need with just it. BUT. One lousy virus wipes out EVERYTHING. I have NORMAN anti-virus, which works well and stays out of the way, but I did have one sneak right past it on my backup computer and pretty much wipe out everything. Not willing to take the chance again. This isn't a software interference issue, it's a SAFETY choice.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
My DAW is connected to the internet, I run Antivirus software, and I have no issues running Pro Tools.
+1

When a very picky high paying client request a change, you make it then they request another change, and this happens several times with the deadline starring you in the face, and you are just one producer working in your boxers in your project studio, (for me in this case), it makes more sense to have an Internet connection on the same computer as PT. This way I can quickly send the file. It hasn't been a problem for me.

OP, wireless simply provides the convenience of, well, not having any wires. (Who wants a cable attached to their laptop while surfing the WWW on the patio). With wired or wireless (particularly on PC) a firewall and virus protection are needed. Also, with either you may need to disable the Internet while running PT on your system. So, to answer your question, it doesn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
Again, I have my PT rig on the 'net, and could PROBABLY do everything I need with just it. BUT. One lousy virus wipes out EVERYTHING. I have NORMAN anti-virus, which works well and stays out of the way, but I did have one sneak right past it on my backup computer and pretty much wipe out everything. Not willing to take the chance again. This isn't a software interference issue, it's a SAFETY choice.
Wanna know why I don't get viruses on my PCs? It is safer to watch x sites on a Mac.