Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2008, 07:24 AM

Default Strike feature request

Hi all - I did a search for this and only found "can't do it" replies, pardon me if this horse has been flogged to death previously...

...but I find it REALLY SILLY that you can't record a Strike performance from the "virtual" keyboard within the plug. Just looks like a glaring omission to me.

I love using it, but like many of you, I have a packed desk and a little M-Audio controller; and you really need three or four octaves of keys to "conduct" Strike. I'm really happy with how strike "plays" from the plugin keys - why can't I choose to record that data? Really sucks to have to haul out my giant Roland keyboard, clear a spot, plug it in, yadda yadda.

I know there are some workarounds, but personally, I find just clicking those buttons to work great for initial song setup and basic editing.

Any chance this will be added to future versions? Especially now that the tiny M-Box Mini is out, the idea of working with Strike from a laptop, anywhere, sounds pretty cool.

thanks--MC
Old 03-28-2008, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Strike feature request

I'm with you there. Sometimes it seems Digi forgets there are a lot of mobile musicians out there. A virtual keyboard would be a godsend. I really like that feature when I am using Ableton Live. I won't talk about that ability in that other music program.

My beef is why you can't record or edit a pattern using your midi controller. You have to pencil in all edits. Makes no sense to me to only work that way.

Hopefully Digi is listening.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:15 PM

no sh*t! Try figuring out the pencil work for a complex fill with a lot of "feel"... not much fun compared to just bangin' it in.

I used to write a lot of drum parts with a single roland pad going through an Alesis D4, & just using the D4 to get the midi into my system. I have a lot of trouble with weird timing drift from my firewire 410 though, really hard to write in real-time these days.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I won't talk about that ability in that other music program.
I would, it gives awareness to the potential of a product.
Quote:
My beef is why you can't record or edit a pattern using your midi controller.
Editing, I'm not following you, but real-time Style Editor MIDI Input would be a must. Key Commands for editing, a la, BFD 2.

Ohhh... did I mention non-real-time processing for audio export.

filosofem