Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2016, 10:21 AM

Default Automation knobs

So, just got my Dock delivered..
After D-Control and D-Command mixing Eucon is a step back.. Customizable... Just make a controller that's versatile, dedicated and reliable!

Anyway, back to the present time:

The automation mode buttons on the left; why do they only work if I have to press "alt" at the keyboard the same time?? It's really annoying.

And having the preview modes layered under the automation buttons is a very weird brainwave..

Oh, and give us linear potentiometer movement back!

Thank you
Old 06-08-2016, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Automation knobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuS View Post
The automation mode buttons on the left; why do they only work if I have to press "alt" at the keyboard the same time?? It's really annoying.
I think they look and feel like the same on the S6. If you use the "ALT" button on the bottom right of that section, you get the preview functions of the automation modes. This stays on without holding.

With Alt off you press and hold the automation function you want and then select on the tracks or mixer view the tracks you want to apply that too.

www.spoonsound.com
Old 06-08-2016, 10:41 AM

NO, on the S6 I use the "F" button per channel to get into the automation mode I want (because the S6 Euphonix designers forgot to implement an automation button..)

So I guess the same guys worked on the Dock, because nothing is straightforward.

No again, I can't press and hold "write" and then select a channel to apply to. Here the automation buttons only work when pressing "alt" at the same time.
BTW: the "alt" key on the keyboard I mean, not the "ALT" key on the Dock
Old 06-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Avid

Quote:
NO, on the S6 I use the "F" button per channel to get into the automation mode I want (because the S6 Euphonix designers forgot to implement an automation button..)

So I guess the same guys worked on the Dock, because nothing is straightforward.

No again, I can't press and hold "write" and then select a channel to apply to. Here the automation buttons only work when pressing "alt" at the same time.
BTW: the "alt" key on the keyboard I mean, not the "ALT" key on the Dock
If holding the automation button you want (i.e. Write), then pressing Sel button to left of fader is not putting the channel into write, then you most likely don't have the proper XML installed. Go to https://my.avid.com/products and expand the "Dock and EuControl" section to download and install that Pro Tools Control Appset (XML). Is that the issue here?

You can also enable the preference in EuControl Settings>General for "Rec/Auto switch press changes automation modes..." so that you can simply press the Rec/Auto button to toggle automation modes without holding SHIFT button.
Berkeley, CA
Old 06-08-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
If holding the automation button you want (i.e. Write), then pressing Sel button to left of fader is not putting the channel into write, then you most likely don't have the proper XML installed. Go to https://my.avid.com/products and expand the "Dock and EuControl" section to download and install that XML. Is that the case?

You can also enable the preference in EuControl Settings>General for "Rec/Auto switch press changes automation modes..." so that you can simply press the Rec/Auto button to toggle automation modes without holding SHIFT button.
Ah! Yes, I was selecting tracks in Protools while doing that, not on the S3... Silly me.. Now it starts making sense.. Thanks Kyle!
Old 06-08-2016, 01:16 PM
Avid

Quote:
Ah! Yes, I was selecting tracks in Protools while doing that, not on the S3... Silly me.. Now it starts making sense.. Thanks Kyle!
Ok, cool. You can also hold the desired auto button and tap a track tile/strip in Pro Tools | Control to change auto modes.
Berkeley, CA