Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2006, 09:43 PM

Default Do You Use Logic and Protools?

I recently bought a 002r. I use my RME Fireface 800 as my front end. I've clocked both ways, RME as Master and OO2R as Master. I've dome some A/B recordings, same source, same settings, same songs, and Logic sounds so much better. This does not make sense to me. The RME is the AD/DA on both platforms. How can there be a difference? It's not subtle, it is significant. Logic just sounds so much more alive.

I desperately want Protools to sound great, I just bought the Toolkit for 48 tracks and plugs, a Command 8. All before I did the test. I am even considering buying an HD system.

Please tell me I'm doing something wrong.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 11-25-2006, 06:57 AM

Default Re: Do You Use Logic and Protools?

There HAS to be something that is changed. I'd go back through all settings again.
Make sure both are at 24 bit depth and the same 44.1 or 48k.
Obviously any difference in plugins inserted would make a difference.
I use both, and have never noticed a difference till I start mixing ... which means adding plugins.
I assume you are recording in the same file format on both??? Make sure both are set for AIFF or whatever you're using...

good luck... let us know what you find.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:36 PM

Also, make sure the output levels are the same: louder = better sound in many cases (it can fool you).

Try bouncing both sessions and burn to CD with the same amount of limiting. Then do the a/b test.

Granted, there will still be subtle mixing differences, but a quick a/b might tell you more than loading two separate apps and trying to "remember" what it sounded like.

There should be no difference - or subtle differences based on the mix engines.

I HAVE noticed that it's a lot easier to get a hot mix with Logic than with PT. I have to throw an L1 on the master fader in PT just to get the levels up. In Logic it seems to be easier without bringing down the L1 threshhold as much.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:15 PM

I'd be very curious about this myself.
If you want to do an A/B test and post a couple of 256 mp3 snippets that'd be awesome.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:48 PM

I have used the Digi 002 and I thought the sonic clarity was decent, but after getting the HD3 192 I think it sounds much better. I was aprehensive about making the purchase but I think it was the right decision. also I am running 25+ stereo tracks at 96k smoothly.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:57 PM

Here is what I have found so far. I make the 002r as the master clock, the RME set to automatic, which means it knows it is the slave. With both the 002R and the Fireface on, I do a reboot. The reboot for some reason gets everything synced properly. I think this is because of going back and forth with Logic and Protools. Doing this sequence, everything has worked very smoothly after.

With the RME as the master, I had pops and clicks and for some reason, the sound quality was not what it should have been.

End result. The recording I did last night, sounded really good. There is still some disparity between the sound of Logic and Protools, I'm not sure I'd say one is better or worse, just different. But nothing big.

I really think this all boiled down to proper sync and clock.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 11-27-2006, 08:53 PM

Quote:

There is still some disparity between the sound of Logic and Protools, I'm not sure I'd say one is better or worse, just different. But nothing big.

I agree. The 2 programs sound different ( without plugins). They obviously process audio differently, so this is to be expected.
You hit the nail on the head when you said "not better or worse...just different".

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3