Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 04-25-2014, 01:30 AM

Default Re: Slate Digital AAX-DSP?

He's not coding by himself. AAX64 is not yet even a year-old format so naturally every company out there tries to release AAX64-native first and then go figure what needs to be done to get the DSP version out.

Except Sonnox. They were one of the first to release AAX-native and AAX-DSP simultaneously. Everything they have and can be fitted into DSP have already been around for some time and in my book that makes them look better company than before. (I didn't like their decision to have plugin transfers pre-approved by them, but at least it makes their iLok licenses safer than many others...)

If you have a one-man company, or have otherwise limited resources, it's not so easy. Give it time, they'll come. Even a company called Lexicon that is backed by Harman (huge company) has had trouble releasing their stuff. Only PCM are released as Alpha (or what I would call public beta) and they surely should have the time and money to have it done already.

I like fresh new starts and this is one of them. Let's just sit tight and wait. This is a major transition and we don't want plugin companies to simply port things over but take their time and code the plugs more efficiently, do we?
Old 04-25-2014, 05:08 AM

all in all - his plugs do sound remarkably good!

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer

BAFTA member
IPS member

former Post Production Expert at www.pro-tools-expert.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 04-25-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEROPHONICS View Post
all in all - his plugs do sound remarkably good!
Yep! Loving VTM and anxiously waiting for FG-X :)
Old 04-25-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
...Except Sonnox. They were one of the first to release AAX-native and AAX-DSP simultaneously. Everything they have and can be fitted into DSP have already been around for some time and in my book that makes them look better company than before...
To be fair, the Sonnox that came out immediately had been part of the Oxford console which probably had even more limited resources than AAX-DSP. They were not needing to figure out how to cram a pound sandwich into the box for a 6 ounce version and it was not a TDM to AAX port like many others.
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson
Old 04-25-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
To be fair, the Sonnox that came out immediately had been part of the Oxford console which probably had even more limited resources than AAX-DSP. They were not needing to figure out how to cram a pound sandwich into the box for a 6 ounce version and it was not a TDM to AAX port like many others.
Nevertheless, they were one of the first ones to deliver AAX-native and AAX-DSP versions of most things they could. I have still zero AAX-DSP from Eventide, TC Electronic, Serato, Waves, just to name few...

And AFAIK the story goes so that AAX-DSP is very much less limited compared to TDM so anyone who has algorithm working as TDM should be able to convert that algorithm working as AAX-DSP, should they want to.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Nevertheless, they were one of the first ones to deliver AAX-native and AAX-DSP versions of most things they could. I have still zero AAX-DSP from Eventide, TC Electronic, Serato, Waves, just to name few...

And AFAIK the story goes so that AAX-DSP is very much less limited compared to TDM so anyone who has algorithm working as TDM should be able to convert that algorithm working as AAX-DSP, should they want to.
I don't think anyone disagrees that their released and working plugs sound great. The issue this (and other threads) have been recently highlighting have to do with Slate's schedule announcements and either lack of followup, not understanding the technology market Slate is in (and therefore unable to schedule resources to meet said announced schedules), or inability to attract the necessary development team to attack the breadth of his offerings.

There may be more reasons (they are not at issue in my mind), but the core of the complaint is:
  1. that I have come to depend upon his plugs
  2. his announced schedules (and plug formats) are independent of Slate's ship schedule
  3. my productions must look for other replacements
  4. I do not have time in my schedule (which I must hit) to allow for re-integration of non AAX (Native/DSP) Slate available and shipping plugs

All of this leads to Slate's credibility beginning to crumble in my opinion. I'm disappointed and frustrated with his business ... um ... methods?

Again - If I didn't love his plugs - I wouldn't complain. Steven - take it as a backhanded compliment of your shipping and working plugs (not of your PR nor scheduling nor resource management ability).
DSP & IO : Pro Tools HDX2(2018.3), 2x UAD Octo, HDIO 16x16 Analog IO(3), HDIO 16x16 Digital IO
Plugins: Avid, DMG Audio, Kush, oeksound, P'n'T, Plugin Alliance, Softube, SoundTheory, Sonnox, Sound Radix, SoundToys, UAD, VEP, etc
Hardware: API, Chandler, Hardy, Moog, Neve, Shadow Hills, Smart, Summit, TC Electronic M6000, UREI, etc
Microphones: Telefunken, Neumann, Shure, AKG
Old 04-25-2014, 01:31 PM

All plugin vendors started over less than a year ago. Avid changed the AAX spec from PT10 to PT11 so I myself don't give a damn how long it takes to release quality stuff, as long as the release is top notch.

Another feeling regarding companies such as TC Electonic and Waves who won't be porting their old TDM stuff over to AAX-DSP...
Old 04-25-2014, 01:35 PM

FWIW there is nothing stopping people from audiosuiting them in PT 10 and then moving to 11. Obviously he got in over his head in technology and he freely admits it.

That said all plug-ins are still the bargain of the century.
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson
Old 04-29-2014, 01:32 PM

Moving of from Slate FGX which will never be AAX DSP from the looks of things Slate has been promising for years now - Duy Dream Dynamics is freaking awesome and AAX 64 DSP!
It crushes FGX
Old 04-29-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
That said all plug-ins are still the bargain of the century.
Talking about Eventide Blackhole? Under 100 dollars this month, a secret weapon of a 5500 dollar H8000 hardware...