Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2013, 07:20 PM

Default Blackmagic Extreme & playback engine issue

version pro tools - 10.3.3
blackmagic extreme 3d - 9.6.9
mac - 10.8.2
2 x 2.66 GHz 6-core intel xeon
16 GB 1333 MHxz DDR3

This is a brand new machine, new Pro Tools install and new audio/graphics card. Audio input and output tested in media composer and working fine.

This issue I'm having in Pro Tools is the playback engine provides two entries for the blackmagic card. The first one maps input channels but not output channels so that on the track and mixer routing it says "mapped output inactive no path available". If I click on the other blackmagic entry in the playback engine I get the opposite - "shows all paths input n/a, no input mapping but output mapping. I am able to playback and hear audio with this second entry (but not the first) but the main issue is I cannot record within either setting due to PT's requiring active activation of both input and outputs but I can't figure out a way to set them both up. The error message I get is this one;

"track could not be record-enabled because it doesn't have both an active input and output assigned"

I don't know why PT's is seeing these two instances of the blackmagic card rather than just one. I have loaded and unloaded both PT's and the blackmagic drivers but to no avail. When the blackmagic drivers are unistalled they are not present in the playback engine as expected.

I have no idea what to do about it.
Simon
Old 01-14-2013, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Blackmagic Extreme & playback engine issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatfish View Post
When the blackmagic drivers are unistalled they are not present in the playback engine as expected.
Hi,

They won't be if you've uninstalled them!

This looks like the blackmagic drivers hasn't been written very well if its giving you 2 audio engine! one for inputs and one for outputs

The option might be to use an Aggregate audio device using the 2 blackmagic drivers.

lookup aggregate audio device on Google you'll find lots of details for creating one.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:53 PM

Well I did reinstall them! but thanks for the tip, will look into it right away.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:01 PM

Hello,
It's somewhat common to have two playback engines, one for input and one for output. The built in I/O in the MacOS does just that - the input is one and the output is another.
As mentioned, create an Aggregate Device. Be sure they're set to the same sample rate and select the input as the master clock.
Hugh
Old 01-14-2013, 04:38 PM

So creating the aggregate has at least allowed me to arm the track for recording.

Still can't get audio in nor hear playback now. Going to hit the blackmagic forums.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:04 PM

I got an answer from local Avid support - just not going to work.

It won’t work. The Blackmagic card can be used as a video interface but they need a proper, qualified audio interface.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=291932

Seems odd that I can record audio in Media Composer (thankfully) but not Pro Tools. Thanks to those who offered some help.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:06 PM

Got an answer from local Avid support - it just doesn't work.

"It won’t work. The Blackmagic card can be used as a video interface but they need a proper, qualified audio interface."

Old 01-14-2013, 07:19 PM

Got an answer from local Avid support - it just doesn't work.

"It won’t work. The Blackmagic card can be used as a video interface but they need a proper, qualified audio interface."