Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-23-2010, 03:46 PM

Exclamation MPC2500 won't sync up with PT8 (PLEASE HELP)

I'm running:
MPC2500 with JJOS
Pro Tools LE 8

These are the instructions I've been given a million times:

For triggering the MPC2500 using MTC (MIDI Time Code) with Pro Tools 8 as the master device:
1) Use a MIDI cable to connect the MIDI OUT of your Digidesign hardware (or M-Audio if using M-Powered) to the MIDI In of your MPC2500.

In the MPC2500:
Go to the "MIDI/Sync" menu.
3) Set "Sync In" to the corresponding MIDI input port on the MPC.
4) Set "Mode" to "MIDI Time Code".
NOTE: When using MTC with the MPC2500, it will automatically match the frame rate of the incoming MTC.

In Pro Tools:
5) Go to the Setup menu and choose “Peripherals…”. Click on the Synchronization tab and set “MTC Generator Port" to the corresponding MIDI output port.
6) Go to the Setup menu and choose “Session". Set "Time Code Rate" to 30 and check the box for "using MTC".
7) If your Transport window is not already open, open it by going to the Window menu and choosing “Transport”.
8) Go to the View menu and highlight Transport. Choose Synchronization and click on the GEN MTC that appears on the Transport window.
9) Press play in Pro Tools and the MPC should now be playing along with Pro Tools.
NOTE: (When using MTC, it is recommended to add 1 or 2 bars of pre-roll.)

I followed every step to a T, except the bold step because THERE IS NO PLACE TO CHECK.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:36 PM

Default Re: MPC2500 won't sync up with PT8 (PLEASE HELP)

Please help i really need to get operational again.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:21 PM

IF you just need to track your beat from the MPC then...

In Pro Tools:
4) Set your tempo in Pro Tools. (See instructions at the bottom of this page.)
5) Go to the Setup menu and choose MIDI Beat Clock. Check the boxes for "Enable MIDI Beat Clock" and the corresponding MIDI output port.
6) Press play. The MPC should now be playing along with Pro Tools.
NOTE: (Make sure that the value, in the MPC, for bars is NOT set to zero. If it is set to zero, it will not be triggered.)

If you NEED MTC, then I gots nothing. Maybe the guide you posted for it didn't take into account the OS you're using.

Never used that MPC, or that OS, but it sounds like you just need to turn on the midi beat clock.

And what do you mean "up and running again"? What changed from when you were up and running?
Win7 64 Ultimate - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz - Gigabyte EX58-UD3R - OCZ Gold 6GB - Radeon X550 256MB Video Card - 750GB Caviar Black System, 500GB Hitachi SATA Sample, and 750GB Caviar Black Audio - 500GB Caviar Blue Backup - Pro Tools 8.0.4 LE - Signature Series Digi 002R
Old 03-23-2010, 07:29 PM

Local resident DUCer DJ Hellfire has a few video tutorials using the MPC and Pro Tools that may help.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 03-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Administrator

On the Knowledgebase article 208263:
Setting up an Akai MPC for use with Pro Tools 8.x using MTC and MIDI Beat Clock

Everything else is the same, but that page does not have the part in bold that you quoted above about the check box, it just says this on step 6:

6) Go to the Setup menu and choose “Session". Set "Time Code Rate" to 30.

There is also this on that same page...

At the top:
Quote:
NOTES:
1) If using an Mbox or Mbox 2 Mini, a Digidesign MIDI I/O or third-party USB-MIDI interface must be installed on the computer for all of the listed configurations.
2) All of the configurations below require you to properly set the tempo in Pro Tools and in the MPC. For instructions on how to do this, see the instructions at the bottom of this page.
3) It is recommended to be on the latest version of the operating system for your MPC. This is required for the MPC2500 in order for it to use MIDI Time Code.
and at the bottom:
Quote:
Setting your tempo in Pro Tools.
You can do this by either of the following methods:
1) Go to the “View” menu, highlight “Rulers” and choose “Tempo”. Click on the plus symbol (+) that appears next to where it says “Tempo” and then manually enter in the desired Tempo.
2) In the Pro Tools Transport window, de-select “Tempo Ruler Enable” (easily recognized as the blue Conductor icon) and either manually type in the desired tempo or use the tempo slider to set the desired tempo.

NOTES:
1) When using MIDI Beat Clock with Pro Tools as the master device, the MPC will be set to the tempo that you have Pro Tools set to.
2) When using MIDI Time Code (MTC), you will have to manually set the tempos in the MPC and Pro Tools to the same tempo.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:37 PM

Still not working.... Any troubleshooting techniques

I know this list you guys made is incomplete....wat other steps did you leave out.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:45 AM

I can get it to slave to the MP, but I can't get Pro Tools to master the mpc

Could this be a windows 7 error?

When is 7 going to be properly supported with Pro Tools?
Old 03-24-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGraham View Post
IF you just need to track your beat from the MPC then...

In Pro Tools:
4) Set your tempo in Pro Tools. (See instructions at the bottom of this page.)
5) Go to the Setup menu and choose MIDI Beat Clock. Check the boxes for "Enable MIDI Beat Clock" and the corresponding MIDI output port.
6) Press play. The MPC should now be playing along with Pro Tools.
NOTE: (Make sure that the value, in the MPC, for bars is NOT set to zero. If it is set to zero, it will not be triggered.)

If you NEED MTC, then I gots nothing. Maybe the guide you posted for it didn't take into account the OS you're using.

Never used that MPC, or that OS, but it sounds like you just need to turn on the midi beat clock.

And what do you mean "up and running again"? What changed from when you were up and running?
Even when i do midi beat clock i still cant get it to work. I'm so frustrated I've checked every single mistep making sure im pluggin it in right, following every step to a t. I just dont know what more i can do....
Old 03-24-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdasuess View Post
Still not working.... Any troubleshooting techniques

I know this list you guys made is incomplete....wat other steps did you leave out.
It's not incomplete. These instructions have worked for me on a variety of MPC's. Someone mentioned before that running Pro Tools as an administrator fixes MIDI output issues. Try right-clicking on the Pro Tools icon and choose "Run as Administrator" and then trying the MTC sync.
Access Virus TI Polar :: M-Audio Profire 2626 :: UAD-2 Duo :: UAD-1