Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 11-21-2006, 01:48 AM

Default distorted guitar tips?

hi. i'm currently running my modified jcm2000 tsl through my mbox2, and i can't seem the distortion to sound right. i can get a really clean tone, but thats it. i've tried using amplitude, but that doesn't seem like any help except for the tuner. any basic tips and suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:26 AM

Default Re: distorted guitar tips?

You would be better off recording the amp sound with microphones (sm 57 is a good starting point) into the mbox or just plug your guitar direct in to the mbox and use amplitube plug in that way (put the plug in on an Aux send and record to an audio track). Do a search on the net or on the DUC about using microphones to record guitar amps - should turn up heaps of interesting stuff. Good luck... using microphones is heaps of fun and IMHO, you get a better sound - especially from a valve amp with a good guitar.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:51 AM

in amplitube (the free one kinda stinks, but amplitube 2 has some really great sounds), start with a distorted preset sound, then turn the gain down a Lot. mess w/the eq, too - usually there's not enough high end and too much low in the presets for my taste. i get pretty good distortion sounds that way. the british crunch preset, i believe, is a good starting point... (but i'm not at my pc, so it might be something else close to that one.)
Old 11-21-2006, 11:55 AM

ah, i misread your initial post there. if you are using an amp w/a mic, that's the way to go! the simplest thing to improve your distortion sounds - turn the gain down. whatever gain setting you play at live, use 1/2 that gain level to record. sounds counterintuitive, but your recordings will sound way heavier and fuller with less gain. also, try to double track rhythm guitars. pan one hard left, one hard right, with different sounds for each part. change the eq, change the mic, move the mic, change the guitar, anything, but change something.

or record direct and use amplitube.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:22 AM

Use a limiter to distort the already distorted track a little more. Usually abuse of a limiter works very nicely on distorted guitars, but that can be easily overdone so be careful.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:04 AM

Quote:
hi. i'm currently running my modified jcm2000 tsl through my mbox2, and i can't seem the distortion to sound right. i can get a really clean tone, but thats it. i've tried using amplitude, but that doesn't seem like any help except for the tuner. any basic tips and suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks.
[edit]
Old 11-28-2006, 04:22 PM

best idea is to mic the amp, but if thats not viable i would suggest getting a good direct box. even though there is a line level insert on the mbox and your coming throuh you amp a nice direct box can really help alot with tone, also the most bang for the buck i can think of is to buy two monster rock cables to run from the guitar to the amp and the amp to the mbox. Its really hard to believe a cable can make taht much of a difference but the moster rocks and monster bass cables really can.