Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 10-27-2006, 12:39 PM

Default PCI-e on Windows XP? Is there an expected date?

Just made the move to a Mac Pro Quad and I'm finding that bootcamp is super stable. I am running an HD1 and just purchased two accel cards that I will be installing. I'd love to run protools on my PC partition. Nothing against the mac os, I just prefer a well kept XP optimized for music recording/production. With my prior system I never ran into any probs. It ran flawlessly for a year and a half. Not even a glitch while on the PT HD software, but I've already had two crashes on the MAC side. I've asked everyone in around here (there are six studios in my facility) and they act like this is normal... A crash here, protools shuts down there. I'm not used to this. I'm thinking it's probably a combination of new Intel mac, PCIe, and New tiger system updates. The way I feel is.... Xeons have been on pc's for a minute, after all I had a dell precision 670, PCIe has been around on PC's for a minute also, and XP is a few years old only slight updates... It should not be rocket science to make a pcie driver for pc and because you don't have to deal with new xeon and os implementations, PT should run smoothly on PC. Maybe not, but hey there is now a computer that runs XP and is capable of running and HD3... it's the MAC PRO.