How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2006, 11:36 AM

Default Combining Audio Clips

Hello...

I am fairly new to pro tools, but not recording. (Sonar for years) What I would like to do is combine recoded clips together without destroying the previous one. I recorded multiple take of a lead vocal, and would like to combine them on one track, while preserving all overlaps. They are currently on 2 tracks... I have tried dragging the clips up to the desired track, but the overlaps mute the end of the previous clips...

Can anyone assist?

Thanks,
Southern Prince
Old 06-16-2006, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Combining Audio Clips

The only way to hear the sound of two regions overlapping within a track is to use cross fades. You might want to investigate alternative vocal track “comping” techniques.

The first place I’d check is the sticky thread at the very top of this particular forum on the DUC (the one named “Enuff Q: How about some tips!!!!”). It contains quite a few descriptions of such work-methods.

Also, you could search the archive for some of the relevant terms. I remember a few threads on this topic having popped up in the past.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 06-16-2006, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Combining Audio Clips

Could you perhaps mix it in two tracks, then bounce those two vocal tracks, delete those tracks, then Import the bounced file? I've been doing this trick to sort of "process" my desired Guitar Rig 2 effects on my guitars, mainly because GR2 is a resource hog, so getting rid of it ASAP from my sessions is good.