Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-03-2018, 02:07 PM

Default Mojave and PT Installers

Yes I know it's not compatible, I have an experimental partition, was going to give I ta shot anyway. But every time I mount either the 2018.7 or 2018.10 installer, just opening it, freezes up my finder, before I even try to install.

This seems very odd, just curious if anyone else has tried to install in Mojave and if you're seeing anything similar...

Tim
Old 11-03-2018, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Mojave and PT Installers

PT installed ok here on Mojave. And also runs pretty stable.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:04 PM

OK thanks. So very strange then, I wonder what could be happening. Tried numerous times now, opening the installer ALWAYS freezes up Finder and I have to relaunch. Can never even get to installing... Bummer!
Old 11-03-2018, 03:11 PM

OK never mind. Decided to wait it out, somehow the disk image was taking forever to release control back to the Mac. Waiting several minutes, and it came up.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:14 PM

Try downloading a clean copy. if that does not work your macOS install may be hosed.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
OK thanks. So very strange then, I wonder what could be happening. Tried numerous times now, opening the installer ALWAYS freezes up Finder and I have to relaunch. Can never even get to installing... Bummer!
Avid cripples the installers to do that on purpose - you can actually run 12.5 on Mojave no problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKPG-0EJTDI
Old 11-06-2018, 10:07 AM

I just upgraded and everything runs just fine for me. I have a Mac Pro w 64gb ram and 1tb ssd so performance has never been an issue for me. What I did discover were a few small things with Pro Tools Dock and Eucon control. After the upgrade you need to give it rights to interact in the security accessibility settings. It crashes otherwise but that is not really an app crash. Also you need to go to networking and re-enable DHCP for the PT Dock and any controllers like Avid Artist. Not sure why it reset that but easy fix. Lastly you have to go back to the peripherals and recheck the box to Enable Eucontrol. Easy breezy. I run UA apollo units and all work just fine without issues. Hope that helps. Peter
Old 11-06-2018, 12:25 PM

Running Mojave and PT2018.10.0 on a brand new six core macbook pro and had no problem installing, updating, or anything. Also, waaaaay fewer crashes than PT2018 and High Sierra. Although I have seen some repeatable crashes relating to using monophonic elastic audio in offline mode. Other than that, haven't found any issues.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonetl View Post
I just upgraded and everything runs just fine for me. I have a Mac Pro w 64gb ram and 1tb ssd so performance has never been an issue for me. What I did discover were a few small things with Pro Tools Dock and Eucon control. After the upgrade you need to give it rights to interact in the security accessibility settings. It crashes otherwise but that is not really an app crash. Also you need to go to networking and re-enable DHCP for the PT Dock and any controllers like Avid Artist. Not sure why it reset that but easy fix. Lastly you have to go back to the peripherals and recheck the box to Enable Eucontrol. Easy breezy. I run UA apollo units and all work just fine without issues. Hope that helps. Peter
From this description I'm guessing you did an in-situ 'upgrade' of OSX right? Not the way to go even though it's the 'Apple Way'.

QAPLA!
Old 11-07-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
From this description I'm guessing you did an in-situ 'upgrade' of OSX right? Not the way to go even though it's the 'Apple Way'.
I disagree. Yeah a clean install is great but not always necessary. My High Sierra was a clean install so to take the upgrade path was no big deal for me. I was ready to flatten the system if necessary but I dont want to reinstall everything again. Also its not really the apple way, its the convenient way. As anything, YMMV.