Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 09-03-2016, 06:25 PM

Default Mac won't recognise interface (box 3rd Gen)

Hi Everyone,

I have a mac bookPro and I'm trying to set up my home studio with pro tools 9, witch Ive already updated for the 9.0.6 version. The computer won't recognise the interface, a Mbox pRO 3rd generation.
It did work for once or twice but them when recording the system would crash with CPU overload errors and Buffing size problems.
The Mbox is simply not showing up when going to the playback engine... Because it briefly worked I know that the equipment is not the problem must be some specify seeing in the mac, Ive tried everything and get not get it going...
Would really appreciate any feedback on this any suggestion or ideas to make this work! THANKS!!!

Last edited by JAH BRaza; 09-03-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Mac won't recognise interface (box 3rd Gen)

A Mbox 3? Mbox 3 Pro? What exact Mac? OS X version? Driver version? Are they compatible? Does the interface work on another computer? Try different cables, different USB ports, try a USB 2 powered hub,... All pretty much standard troubleshooting steps documented under the "help us help you" link up the top of every DUC page.

.... But the most common reason an interface will not show up even with a valid driver installed is the computer slept or you suspended it with the interface attached. This is Known "working as badly designed" Avid driver behavior. Reboot the computer, hold down 'N' while starting Pro Tools and keep it held down until the playback engine dialog appears. Then select the Mbox.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:09 PM

Im using a macBook Pro ( OS X El capitan version 10.11.6) 4 GB. My interface is a M box pro 3rd generation, the one that uses FireWire connection. Iv tried the "hold N" while launching pro tools, still nothing...
Old 09-03-2016, 08:13 PM

iv also install every possible driver from avid website... all the latest drivers are defnetly installed. Once after I installed a driver my prof tools did work normally for about 5 minutes before start crashing again...really weird stuff, since I had this same set up over5 years now...
Old 09-03-2016, 08:32 PM

Did you try rebooting the Mac like I suggested?

So again what *exact* Mac? Go find the latest approved driver you should be using. You cannot have multiple drivers installed so get your act together and get the latest approved/suitable driver for your OS X version installed. Then tell us exactly what version that is. Then do other troubleshooting.

Does the interface light up like it has power?

Standard FireWire troubleshooting you should already have tried: Remove any other FireWire peripherals. Just a cable straight to the interface. Try a different FireWire cable (and 800-400 adapter if needed). Try different FireWire ports if you have them. FireWire cables can be especially fickle, even if they work elsewhere. Between what I have already suggested and that standard interface troubleshooting you have lots to go carefully try out.

Try the interface out on another computer.

"Because it briefly worked" tells you nothing except uh it briefly worked, you could have any sort of issue here I from operator mistakes like the wrong driver, or a suspended/slept Mac, to failed FireWire Port or cable on the computer to a dead interface.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:02 PM

PT9 on OSX 10.11.6 No surprise there.

My best advice would be to upgrade from that to PT12 as that combo is not gonna work what ever troubleshooting steps you do. You can use the interface without PT9 but for that I can't advice much since we never used these interfaces.

Here you go my friend, the compatibility chart where you can see what goes with what.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart

Best of Luck

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-03-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
PT9 on OSX 10.11.6
Doh. Missed that one entirely.

Chris, maybe you could move this thread to the legacy section where it belongs.