Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-04-2001, 09:21 AM

Default Re: What kind of IDE HDdo i need to Digi001 ????

...jeez.
Old 09-04-2001, 09:32 AM

lukemaniak,

I'd personally stay away from Seagates. They are fast but, between a friend and I, we've had 5 out of 6 Seagates fail within 3 months of purchase. All these failures are bad sector related, not due to rotational failure and are therefore not immediately noticeable. This is a major concern as it means the drives can die gradually during the course of a project and corrupt many hours of work.
In all my cases, the session I was working on went fine during tracking and mixing but, as soon as I went to make a backup onto another HDD, the copying process corrupted the files. The datarate during the copying process is much higher than during the session and when a bad (or at least dying) sector was reached, the computer would freeze and after rebooting, the file was unusable.
The IBM's I have (four of them) are used for audio and video and get a decent workout. Zero failures in two years of constant use and they are internal (two in my G4/001 and two in my PC).
The IBM's also run far cooler than the Seagate does. After a day of use, the IBM's are luke warm (no excess heat here and, as lwilliam has already mentioned, nowhere near the CPU operating temperature), the Seagate can't be touched (bad design IMHO). Perhaps this has some bearing on the Seagate failures. However, I doubt that external mounting would make any difference in my situation. My PC is in a full tower case with plenty of ventilation and a dedicated cooling fan for each of the HDD's.

_______
Dannii.

[ September 04, 2001: Message edited by: Doc ]
Old 09-06-2001, 11:02 AM

Hi folks !!!
...Im still looking for the Maxtor or IBM HD (very hard to find this models in Brazil..all they have are Quantums and segates...too bad), but in the meantime, I recieved a very good offer (cheaper) on a Ultra wide scsi HD from Compaq.
It's a 18,2Gb 7200RPM Wide ULTRA 2 SCSI in SBB model Alpha/Compaq DS-RZ1EA-VW.
Is that ok for Digi001/BW G3/ and Adaptec 2940 ????
[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Thx in advance for any coment.
;-)
Old 09-06-2001, 11:30 AM

Just to throw this this in - a couple of my buddies here in NYC are running *everything* of the stock system HD... no problems. I second the opinion: You're going to back it up anyway.

Andy O. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2001, 11:58 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by lukemaniak:
Hi folks !!!
...Im still looking for the Maxtor or IBM HD (very hard to find this models in Brazil..all they have are Quantums and segates...too bad), but in the meantime, I recieved a very good offer (cheaper) on a Ultra wide scsi HD from Compaq.
It's a 18,2Gb 7200RPM Wide ULTRA 2 SCSI in SBB model Alpha/Compaq DS-RZ1EA-VW.
Is that ok for Digi001/BW G3/ and Adaptec 2940 ????
[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Thx in advance for any coment.
;-)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just as long as you do a complete format. I'd do a "Zero all data" (if you're using Apples Drive Utilities, don't know what it'd be called using "X" hard drive utility)

That drive has either a NFS, or FAT_whatever format on it, as the Alpha chips only will run WinNT4.0, and 64bit OS's like Unix, BSD, Linux, etc....

Do that, and since you already know SCSI, you know pretty much what you're doing.

I have battled the whole IDE/ATA drive issue for sometime, but I bought a old world 9500 used and I've put 2+ yrs of hard hitting use on both of the Quantams that came installed with it. I will say that if I get a newer G4 (whenever it may be), I'd definetly get one with SCSI installed, as I'd rather stick to the h/ware I know.
Old 09-07-2001, 04:19 AM

lwilliam you go !!!!!
I agree.
I also agree that the GLYPH drive is a rip off.
remember the user has a G3. internal bus is ATA 66 right?

so no real benefit for ATA 100 drives, although you probably can't find anything slower these days.

here ya go www.storagereview.com awesome site. You will note that the 75gb IBM drive was SLOWER than the 40gb IBM DESKSTAR. And HOTTER. (maybe thats why they dont make them anymore. ) plus it only holds about 65-70 GB.

Last tip. at least for today. Want GOOD CHEAP FW drives???? Look no further than ......... www.clubmac.com
I used to work there,

They use the "good " FW bridge chipset. Same one as Lacie.

And they only use IBM IDE drives in the cases. (or maybe Quantum, but ALMOST always IBM)

and my little brother works there, but only Part time, so he doesn't make commission.................(hourly college kid)

Why am I telling you this?

B/C if you want stuff CHEAP, he will hook you up. Get your price and call him last. IF he can't beat it, you better buy it fast.

Email me for his info, he can ship to Brazil no problemo

I offer this to ANYONE who uses this DUC. Consider it a "good Karma" gesture from me.

Need mac stuff? Let me know.

Kris Whitten
Apple Product Professional /Solutions Expert
[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2001, 01:48 PM

I notice you guys seem to disregard Quantum ATA (7200) drives. Any issues with them, quality, known failure rate, something proprietary, or is this just personal preference? Appreciate your feedback.

[ September 07, 2001: Message edited by: newdawg ]
Old 09-07-2001, 01:54 PM

Newdawg,
I use Quantum Fireball Plus AS drives. $ of them to be exact. I like them A LOT at the time I bought them , they were one of the highest rated drives at www.storagereview.com

However Quantum has sold the HD division to Maxtor, so essentially all new Quantum drives are really maxtor. I can't and won't recommmend a Maxtor drive, I used to sell all of this stuff and many people complained about these drives when pushing them hard. I would recommend the Quantums for sure, but to be safe, you might want to try the IBM. Consistently (sp?)rated at the top

My .02
Old 09-08-2001, 09:34 AM

kris whitten,

Interesting. I know of three local studios using G4's with the stock Quantum drives as the OS drive. Two have had problems with drive failures under warranty. I haven't had any trouble with the Quantum that came with my G4, but I make sure I have back ups of everything on this drive. As I have already mentioned, my preference is IBM.

The replacement Seagate I received three weeks ago under warranty for my PC has just developed bad clusters. This makes six out of six failures. It is going back for a refund and I am buying another IBM.

______
Dannii.
Old 09-08-2001, 11:02 AM

I have used a Maxtor 30 GB for since November. It was I think $150. Only once I got a drive to slow message. Otherwise it rocks. Check out meghaus.com. They usually have a good selection for cheap.