Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2014, 07:21 PM

Default can i sell my beats as leases using pro tools sounds and or royalty free loops

im a producer and i want to sell my beats, im confused because I've been told that If I sell/lease my beats to customers I cannot sell them beats that have royalty free samples and even some virtual instruments that I've purchased, and if the customer wants to buy the tracked out version of my song, that they can't because it has a royalty free sample, i was also told that when using royalty free sample in my production i wont be able to provide the track outs because it will be breaking the law and terms because i would be distributing the royalty free samples. ??? i do make my own music without samples but i also like to purchase loops from certain libraries and create music with them. is there any truth to this.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:49 AM

Default Re: can i sell my beats as leases using pro tools sounds and or royalty free loops

Obviously you want to read the License Agreements for any samples and/or sounds you intend to use, but...

Typically, the license for samples and/or sounds allows them to be redistributed when included in a musical work, but you aren't allowed to just redistribute a single sample/loop/entire library of samples/sounds.

And this will typically also apply to royalty-free sounds.

But always read the license agreement before incorporating something into your work...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 02-07-2014, 08:47 AM

Default Re: can i sell my beats as leases using pro tools sounds and or royalty free loops

What Bill said.

To add a little more, you should be fine doing what you're talking about because it's basically a musical composition. Those samples and loops are used in the context of that. It's no different than a film composer using orchestra samples in his music, which is done all the time and totally legit.

What you can't do, is use samples, and re-sell them to people as samples. For example, you take a snare sample from Steven Slate Drums, add your own processing and EQ, or whatever, and then turn around and sell it to people as "Joe's cool snare samples", etc.

But for what you're talking about, it should be fine. You're using the samples and loops to create musical compositions (in this case, called "beats"), and that's exactly what they're intended for.