Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2003, 10:56 PM

Default Is there a tutorial for Reason????

I just purchased a Radium 49 Midi USB Controller and Reason 2.0 then updated it for FREE to 2.5. I run it in OS 9 and OS X. I am having problems in both platforms. Both of these problems have already been discussed in the DUC and I have tried all the solutions...but to no avail. I am ready to throw in the towel.

SO IF I EVER CAN GET IT ROLLING PROPERLY, is there a tutorial that can be purchased to help me really understand Reason????

My buddies in Nashville swear by Reason....i am ready to swear at it. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

sincerely,
jdom1023
Old 05-14-2003, 11:11 PM

Default Re: Is there a tutorial for Reason????

Quote:
Originally posted by jdom1023:
Both of these problems have already been discussed in the DUC and I have tried all the solutions...but to no avail. I am ready to throw in the towel.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Care to share what your problems are? Unfortunately, we can't just guess what they might be from that vague comment.
Perhaps we can help if you can be more specific.

As for tutorials, here's one place for starters:
www.reasonstation.net

do a search on www.google.com for Reason Tutorials and you'll discover plenty more.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:14 PM

also, check out www.amazon.com for books on Reason, I know of one that was recently released, about $30 or so, looked pretty informative.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:50 AM

Top Hat,

Sorry about the vague comments... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The problems for OS 9 is that after I download the ASIO Driver from Steinberg, it has a red X by the driver when i try to select it. i want to select it to have it routed out of my monitors of the 001. I have downloaded a new ASIO driver 5 times and none work. Seems like I shouldn't have to do that.

and....

The problem for OS X is that after I set up Reason for X, I can't go out of the output on the Sound in the System Preferences....what i mean to say is that when i want to output the sound in X on the 001, that is not even an option. It only offers me "built in sound controller"

also...

I tried to select the "default" option in the "Audio Midi Setup" of OS X and still no luck.

must be the new Core Audio Driver in OS X...

who knows? but thanks for the heads up on the tutorials. i will hop on the good foot and do the bad thing. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

peace out,
jdom1023
Old 05-15-2003, 08:41 AM

Propellerhead's Producing Music With Reason CD-ROM Tutorial:

http://www.propellerheads.se/product.../tutorial.html

This is an excellent tool for beginners, but I even learned a few things and I've been using Reason since 1.0.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:35 PM

A couple of things.

Firstly...the Reason tutorial from Propellerheads is excellent...hightly recommended.

Your OS9 problem: it sounds to me that you may have the system sounds going into the 001....the 001 doesn't like to share!
Try switching the system sounds in the Mac's sound control panel to "built-in" before you launch Reason. Also, if you haven't done it already, you probably need to have the Digidesign Control panel installed. You can find it on the PTLE installer CD. This little app allows you (in tandem with the ASIO driver) to route system sounds and third party applications thru the 001. Lastly...if you get the red X in Reason's audio preferences, try choosing another output and then rechoosing Digidesign....I assume you have placed the ASIO drivers in the correct ASIO folder in Reason.

Your OSX problem: To my knowledge, the core audio driver for the digi001 does not work with Reason...you will have to wait for Rewire2 to be released before you can route Reason thru the 001 (and even then it will be only while running Reason THRU the host PTLE program).

I personally have circumvented these problems by getting a Tascam US-428. I can use it as a controller for PTLE or Reason, and it does double duty as the soundcard for Reason and my system. I can sync PTLE and Reason using Midi TC in either OS9 (using an IAC bus) or OSX (using virtual midi patchbay), so I can run sessions using both apps together, in sync, with PTLE audio routed thru the 001 and Reason's audio routed thru the US-428...just prior to mixdown, I export/import the individual Reason tracks into PT for the final mix. Works great...

Good luck!