Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-18-2006, 03:09 PM

Default liquid mix

hi,

i plan to buy liquid mix . BUT... what can i see... liquid mix super sux with protools ? !
i have a old digi001 PT6.4 and use already FXpansion. it works fine. no latency and such.
But focusrite says for PT 2000 samples of latency !

I was planning to buy a digi002. this is serious enough to change software. anyway PT is cool but i dont care a f about PT Other softs or just as cool or even better. dunno . but logic mix seems super great.

anyone tried that on PT ?

about liquid mix here is a blind test funny to do :
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php?t=89151
Old 10-19-2006, 08:31 AM

Default Re: liquid mix

up
Old 10-19-2006, 01:23 PM

Do you want this because it`s DSP? Or because its "Focusrite EQ`s and Compressors"?

First of all, the liquidmix doesn not include any of the good expencive Focusrite plug-ins like D2/D3. It only includes new plugs that emulate other "famous vintage" stuff. No telling if these sound good or what, at that price for that many plugs, I´m betting thery OK, but nothing to "write home about."

So unless the plug-ins are really just the way you want the, you are paying for a dedicated dsp for those plugs, and those alone. If you don`t use them, you won`t be needing the hardware either. So before spending 1000$+++ on changing your whole DAW set-up, why not see if you actually want the plugs included with the liquidmix.

Third.
Firewire DSP`s will induce delay nomatter what kind of DAW you are using, the only difference is that logic and Cubase has Automatic Delay compensation, while in ProTools LE, you have to fix this manually. So you can easily get by the delay in PT aswell.

If you want good EQ`s / Compressors, there are alot of other cpu friendly alternatives out there, like Stephen Massey`s plugs at www.smassey.com and a good list of free /cheap RTAS at macmusic.org.
Massey plugs are being hailed as some of the best in the biz over at gearslutz and other forums. And they only cost 89$ a pop for fullversions.

However, if you really want the Focusrite box, than there is probably nothing else to do but buy the liquid mix. just make shure you actually WANT the plugs first.

Good Luck
MacBook Pro i7/Apogee One/Duet/ElevenR/Pro Tools 12
Preamps from UA, Mackie and Avid.
Listening through Dynaudio, Genelec and ADAM
Old 10-19-2006, 03:03 PM

hi snarf

these plugs are based on convolution.
once i tried the iR1 (my first convolution plug) i felt that a whole knew world would bigin with this stuff. Nothing to do with classical plugs or emulation. i could really feel the room around me and .. well never mind it's my feeling

You can find many forums around web where people are very surprised by this thing. Some smart guys says "hey liquid sounds plastic" .. but in front of a blind test it becomes more funny You can find some blind tests to on the web ..

and it's 600$
Old 10-19-2006, 08:00 PM

the thing rocks. Take a look at the A/B test on Gearslutz.com. I have it and it as good as it gets. I have not even used the EQ yet, mostly copressors. I would give up most other gear before I gave this thing up.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 12-20-2006, 02:54 PM

wait wait ... you have it on ProTools ?

dude ! how does it work ? fine ? is the delay ok how do you set it ?
tell us dude
Old 12-28-2006, 01:53 AM

Up! I am seriously considering buying one, and if anyone uses it in PT it would be really interesting to hear how it works. I have the UAD-1 already, and it has the DelayComp plug, which works great, but seeing that PCI is faster than firewire i presume i can't use the UA Delaycomp plug for Liquid Mix? If, however, they have the same latency (which is unlikely but would be perfect) then there's nothing stoppning me buying this thing - it sounds great!
Old 12-28-2006, 10:07 AM

Last I knew (a couple weeks ago), Barry Johns was selling all of his PT stuff because Liquid Mix didn't work well with PTLE... way too much latency.
http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php?t=98570
---
c
Old 12-28-2006, 11:27 AM

My selling wasn't due to the Liquid Mix alone. Really, my lack of fully understanding ADC, as I recently went back to protools from a 3 year hiatus. That being said. I now am sticking with Protools, I have found out how to really deal with lack of ADC. I also purchased the Duende to use with Protools, but had issues with stability, due to the number of firewire devices I needed to run and my UAD Plugs. Returned Duende and bought Waves SSL.

If you do all your tracking including overdubs and then do your mixing using plugs like the Liquid Mix, UAD, or Duende, lack of ADC is a non issue. The liquid mix causes 1056 samples of latency. UAD Plugs vary, but mostly 1024 samples, I believe.

If you put the Liquid Mix on every track, then it’s a non issue. If not, then you just need to add the Protool’s ADC Plug to compensate for the 1056 samples of delay on all the tracks that don’t have the liquid mix on them. Just do one and copy it over to the other tracks.

Bottom line, if you understand ADC, then you will be fine.

The question really is, is the Liquid Mix good or not. I find that it is very good. It doesn’t really capture the plugs it emulates exactly, but they still sound very good regardless. You will find people who have an average ear that love the unit, for those that are pro’s you have extensive experience with the real hardware units, they will be a little more critical. However, you can find some real word test over at Gerslutz.com that gives the liquid mix good reviews by a decent amount of people.

Is the liquid mix good for you, well it depends on what you currently have. Put the DSP thing aside for a moment and determine if you need the plugs. It has very good compressors, what compressor plugs do you have? UAD’s compressor plugs are better than the Liquid Mix, but how many of those can you use at one time?

When I bought the Duende I planned to sell my Liquid Mix, thought the Duende compression would suffice. Well even as good as the Duende was, the compression was not as good as the liquid mix. EQ, different story all together.

Now I have Waves SSL, and still plan to keep my Liquid Mix for Compression, I think its better. I’ll use my UAD’s compressors for certain applications, but the Liquid Mix will remain my GOTO for compression for everything else. I’ve yet to hear any plug, other than UAD’s, that are as good as the Liquid Mix.

I have to tell you, I have not even really used the Liquid Mix EQ’s all that much yet; they are not well implemented on the control surface as they should be.

Bottom Line, would I but it a gain. Yes.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 12-29-2006, 07:41 AM

Barry, are you saying that the Liquid Mix performed with better stability on the FW bus than the Duende did?